Sabres claim Jordan Nolan off waivers

SabresFanInRochester

Solid pickup. We'll see if this lights a fire under the butts of any of the younger players on the cusp of making the team.

He pretty much had to do it, nylander, fashing, baptitste, bailey will all be send back to rochester.

I think this is right -- I did note above that Nolan has a strong work ethic, 2 Stanley Cup rings, and will toughen up the roster.

But I think one of the most important is that none of the kids really jumped up and took the roster spot. I hate the idea of handing the roster spot to a player that didn't earn it but outplayed the other guys that didn't earn it. None of the kids really jumped up and took it. So give it to a vet (grinder) who will add value to the team and will make someone come and take it from him.

You guys are gonna like Nolan. Trust me. 

He was a perfect fit in LA with Lombardi and Sutter.  They are gone and now the Kings are going with a different approach.

I always liked Nolan and I think he will be a good 4th liner here.  He is Des with more skill and smarts.

Listen you.

Ted Nolan is not a very good coach. But he was better than Bylsma.

Jordan Nolan is not a very good hockey player. But he's better than D-Lo.

Eh, not sure I'd go that far

He was a perfect fit in LA with Lombardi and Sutter.  They are gone and now the Kings are going with a different approach.

I always liked Nolan and I think he will be a good 4th liner here.  He is Des with more skill and smarts.

Exactly. He was part of an approach that was failing miserably, and as soon as they change directions they release him? Not a good indicator IMO

Eh, not sure I'd go that far

Exactly. He was part of an approach that was failing miserably, and as soon as they change directions they release him? Not a good indicator IMO

I think you're forgetting that we have the worst rostered NHLer in Nic Deslauriers and probably just kicked him out of our plans for good, nobody's asking you to celebrate something that'll make our third line the best in the league or anything haha

He is not a very skilled hockey player, but he more than makes up for it with very hard work.

We need some of that old LA Kings style around here and Des did not bring enough especially the hard work.

Nolan is not very good, but he really seems to make other players around him better just by showing what it takes to stick in the NHL and make a good career out of it.

The cherry on top is the 2 cups.  Not cusps, but real cups.  He knows what it takes to win in the playoffs.

I think you're forgetting that we have the worst rostered NHLer in Nic Deslauriers and probably just kicked him out of our plans for good, nobody's asking you to celebrate something that'll make our third line the best in the league or anything haha

Fair enough :D

I'm not saying he's not an upgrade over Des, anything is. But I have a hard time believing there hasn't or isn't a better option out there. Going in this direction just makes me question Botterill's team philosophy; reminds me of Pittsburgh winning the Cup then trading for Reaves

He is not a very skilled hockey player, but he more than makes up for it with very hard work.

We need some of that old LA Kings style around here and Des did not bring enough especially the hard work.

Nolan is not very good, but he really seems to make other players around him better just by showing what it takes to stick in the NHL and make a good career out of it.

The cherry on top is the 2 cups.  Not cusps, but real cups.  He knows what it takes to win in the playoffs.

This is just a preposterous statement. Say what you want about Des, but he works hard and hits hard, a-la the LA Kings style

No. More likely means Bailey/Baptiste/Griffith get sent down. Maybe one makes and Deslauriers is waived.

Ok.  Amerks get better either way.  Thanks.

I was going to mention yesterday that I'd totally waive Des for either of Nolan or Flynn. Happy with the move.

Wait Brian Flynn is available!?!  :P    

I'm not saying he's not an upgrade over Des, anything is. But I have a hard time believing there hasn't or isn't a better option out there. Going in this direction just makes me question Botterill's team philosophy; reminds me of Pittsburgh winning the Cup then trading for Reaves

This is just a preposterous statement. Say what you want about Des, but he works hard and hits hard, a-la the LA Kings style

I think you're giving D-Lo way too much credit. He's not that much of a physical force.  

Who was waived that is obviously better and has passed by our team, and why would a waiver pickup to improve the worst player in the league say more about the direction our team is going in than

a.) Sending Fasching back over the speedsters

b.) Trading for Beaulieu 

c.) literally saying the word "speed" and "attack" every other sentence, backed by full-puck-support quick transitions in practice

d.) Trading Foligno for Scandella 

e.) having Guhle higher in the depth chart than Gorges while he was here

f.) drafting Casey Mittelstadt over Gabe Vilardi, a prospect who can't skate but was ranked higher by many scouting services 

etc. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

I think you're giving D-Lo way too much credit. He's not that much of a physical force.  

He hits hard and fights, does he not? What else is there to a physical force for a guy like him and Nolan?

Who was waived that is obviously better and has passed by our team, and why would a waiver pickup to improve the worst player in the league say more about the direction our team is going in than

b.) Trading for Beaulieu 

c.) literally saying the word "speed" and "attack" every other sentence, backed by full-puck-support quick transitions in practice

f.) drafting Casey Mittelstadt over Gabe Vilardi, who can't skate 

etc. 

You're right, but I didn't say it says more than those moves. That's exactly why I find this move odd in comparison to all those, as it's not in alignment with them

He hits hard and fights, does he not? What else is there to a physical force for a guy like him and Nolan?

You're right, but I didn't say it says more than those moves. That's exactly why I find this move odd in comparison to all those, as it's not in alignment with them

And it's almost totally irrelevant in the big picture other than for 31 games a season we'll get a 48% CF% instead of a 33% CF% and 4 points instead of 0 points

Just because a team generally embodies an overall big picture doesn't mean that every single move made by them strictly adheres to it 

Nashville signed Emelin and Irwin last year, even though they specialize in offense from the D

Montreal traded for Drouin even though they're huge on 2-way play and leaning on goalies 

like you say, Pittsburgh traded for Reaves and are going to win another cup either way 

b.) Trading for Beaulieu 

f.) drafting Casey Mittelstadt over Gabe Vilardi, a prospect who can't skate but was ranked higher by many scouting services 

etc. 

Next skater on Casey's level taken was probably Yamamoto at 22

I hear he's having a helluva preseason, teams in the late teens are going to be upset about not taking him IMO. 

Skating is soooo important today. The slashing speed skater is so valuable. It is why I still believe in Nylander and looooooooovvvveee Mittelstadt. Mittelstadt shouldn't have been there at #8 but teams be dumb. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.