OT: Great Cheeses of the World

ubkev

I almost fought a guy asking for American cheese at a sandwich shop today

Was this one of shops where they stopped selling French fries and called them American fries? And really the cheese was just re-named "American double cream" instead of brie?

I always look at the disheartening cheese tastes of others as the opportunity for myself to further clog the arteries of my own heart. Enheartening cheese, as it were.

Turkey sandwich though... so many good options. Cheddar? Classic. Swiss? Just a hint of sharp to go with the mildness and tryptophan. Muenster, havarti. Smoked gouda and turkey? That's some good stuff right there. Your cheese should be the backbone; nay, the calling card, of your turkey sandwich. There's nothing more in-your-face-American than that.

In our cafeteria they ask if I want cheese bagel with bacon and egg... I say yes but you don't have any here... American cheese is not cheese folks... it is one step above velveeta... the best chemicals that Krap foods could come up with... doubt there is an any milk product in it.

Today’s American cheese is, by law, required to be manufactured from at least two types of cheese. Because its manufacturing process differs from "unprocessed"/raw/natural cheeses, American cheese can not be legally sold under the name (authentic) "cheese" in the US. Instead, federal (and even some state) laws mandate that it be labeled as "processed cheese" if simply made from combining more than one cheese,[2] or "cheese food" if dairy ingredients such as cream, milk, skim milk, buttermilk, cheese whey, or albumin from cheese whey are added.

(Wikipedia)

I don't understand the American cheese hate. It's got its place.

If you haven't had Guggisberg Swiss you are missing out...we used to make a trip to the Amish country in Ohio when I lived in Columbus every year and buy a big wheel of it...phenomenal stuff...and others must agree based on the awards it has won:

https://www.babyswiss.com/product-awards

Edited by matter2003

I don't understand the American cheese hate. It's got its place.

Bunch of damn cheese snobs similar to the beer snobs who are too good to knock back a Labatt Blue or a Budweiser if it's offered to them. The words Chet and Muffy come to mind.

American cheese is awesome. It's by far the best cheese for making grilled cheese sandwiches and it's good with all kinds of other stuff. For example, if you're eating a regular baloney/bologna sandwich with white bread, then American cheese belongs on that sandwich, not some fancy smoked gouda or whatever. I imagine half the people in this thread already stopped reading the moment I mention baloney/bologna though.

Bunch of damn cheese snobs similar to the beer snobs who are too good to knock back a Labatt Blue or a Budweiser if it's offered to them. The words Chet and Muffy come to mind.

American cheese is awesome. It's by far the best cheese for making grilled cheese sandwiches and it's good with all kinds of other stuff. For example, if you're eating a regular baloney/bologna sandwich with white bread, then American cheese belongs on that sandwich, not some fancy smoked gouda or whatever. I imagine half the people in this thread already stopped reading the moment I mention baloney/bologna though.

Chedda son... Chedda pass me some good old american Cheddar. ::)

I'm gonna have some grilled cheese for lunch today I think. 

I also love smoked gouda and bologna. 

Life is too short to be a snob about all things that are good. 

American cheese is good. 

Chedda son... Chedda pass me some good old american Cheddar. : :)

I like cheddar cheese too. Everything from extra sharp to mild. American cheese still makes a better grilled cheese sandwich though.

I'm gonna have some grilled cheese for lunch today I think. 

I also love smoked gouda and bologna. 

Life is too short to be a snob about all things that are good. 

American cheese is good. 

To me, the bread is key. If I use fancier bread, I usually opt for fancier cheese. If I'm using wonderbread, or sunbeam for a sandwich, I tend to use kraft singles American cheese. 

Chedda son... Chedda pass me some good old american Cheddar. : :)

Chedda is bedda. Someone at a coffee/sandwich shop wrote that on my takeout order of a grilled cheese/soup. In that case, they were right. 

Course, for me, all cheeses and "cheeses" result in bubbleguts and exorcising the demons of lactose intolerance so... 

I like cheddar cheese too. Everything from extra sharp to mild. American cheese still makes a better grilled cheese sandwich though.

To me, the bread is key. If I use fancier bread, I usually opt for fancier cheese. If I'm using wonderbread, or sunbeam for a sandwich, I tend to use kraft singles American cheese. 

Okay, now I stopped reading. Life's too short to make a sandwich on something that tastes like a circuit board.

Okay, now I stopped reading. Life's too short to make a sandwich on something that tastes like a circuit board.

Sorry, Chet. Fancy bread may be superior but it goes stale too quickly once it gets sliced up. Some of us don't have time to stop of the grocery store every other day to ensure there's fresh bread in the house so we go with the stuff that keeps longer. Plus I grew up relatively poor and that's usually what we had when I was a kid so eat a pretentious dick and feel free to wrap it in the artisanal bread of your choice.

Edited by Alkoholist

Sorry, Chet. Fancy bread may be superior but it goes stale too quickly once it gets sliced up. Some of us don't have time to stop of the grocery store every other day to ensure there's fresh bread in the house so we go with the stuff that keeps longer. Plus I grew up relatively poor and that's usually what we had when I was a kid so eat a pretentious dick and feel free to wrap it in the artisanal bread of your choice.

Bread freezes well. Slice, freeze, and pull it out 15-20 minutes before you need it.

Bread freezes well. Slice, freeze, and pull it out 15-20 minutes before you need it.

Some of us need our freezers for things that must be frozen. Like half a cow, or a pig, or a deer, or like 100 chickens. Ain't got no time to be freezing bread. Not when There's meats to keep from spoiling!

OK, how did meats and fancy breads and non-fancy bread get in the great cheeses thread, much less an argument about it????

SabreSpace's core is rotten. Too many posters unwilling to get their hands dirty with American cheese. Sure, they look good statistically, but they're not getting it done where it counts. 

If you can't beat 'em in the cheese aisle you can't beat 'em on the ice.

I can't believe there has never been a hockey player branded cheese before. "Top Ched" is well known hockey slang for scoring where momma hides the cookies. 

"Jack Eichel's Top Cheddar by Yancey's Fancy" 

Guess Eichel would have to want to score more goals first though...

SabreSpace's core is rotten. Too many posters unwilling to get their hands dirty with American cheese. Sure, they look good statistically, but they're not getting it done where it counts.

I have no problem with American cheese. None. It goes on things. I do have an issue with people who are too good for American cheese singles.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.