Training Camp Roster announced!

GASabresIUFAN

The Sabres have announced the training camp roster. https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/291033226/binary-file/file.pdf

There are 28 forwards, 17 defensemen and 6 goalies.

Looking at the roster, I was kind of surprised by a couple of things.

1) we have 21 forwards who played in the NHL last season, of which I think 19 have a shot at making the roster this season.

2) We have 12 D who played in the NHL last season plus Antipin. Of those 12, 10 played more the 25 games in the NHL last season.

3) Goaltending is 3 deep.

4) at forward we have 9 guys who, unless injures will make this team (Eichel, KO, Sam, Kane, ROR, Pommers, Pouliot, Girgensons and Larsson). We have 3 vets who could (should?) lose their jobs to others (Delo, Moulson and Josefson) and 7 to 8 prospects who could take a job or two in the NHL (Bailey, E Rod, Baptiste, Fasching, Smith, Nylander, Griffith and maybe Malone. I suspect two of the first 5 listed will make the roster, with Bailey and E Rod being the front runners heading into camp.

5) On defense, 5 slots are locked, (Risto, McCabe, Scandella, Bogo, and Beaulieu). That leaves 2-3 slots up for grabs, but for 2 of those slots their are 2 heavy front runners, Gorges and Antipin. Personally, I feel that Antipin and Guhle are going to steal the show at camp. I also won't be surprised if Falk is beaten out by Tennyson or Goloubef for the 8th slot. Sadly for Guhle, I think, despite his best efforts, he is starting the season in Roch so that he can play big minutes.

CHL players: Glotov, Pu, Hagel, Budik and Osmanski

PTO: Goloubef

AHL: Moses

ELC: NHL: Jack, Sam, Antipin;

ELC Prospects: Smith, Fasching, Nylander, Bailey, Malone, Baptiste, Cornel, Karabacek, Stephens, Guhle, Martin and Johansson

Two-way deals: Cruscuolo, Porter, ERod, Tennyson, Fedun, Wilcox, and Kasdorf

1 Way deals: Falk, Josefson, Griffith, Nelson, and Ullmark

Interesting how few CHL prospects we have anymore.

Here is a list of other guys floating around the organization

AHL: F- Danforth, Kile, Muzito-Bogenda, Sahir Gill, Adam Krause

AHL: D- Paetsch, Florentino, Conor Allen, Barry Goers and Andrew Macwilliam

Arvin Atwell (D) and Colon Blackwell (F) are prospect tourney invited to Amerks camp. i don't know their contract status.

Sabres projected roster

Bailey ROR Okposo

Kane Jack Sam

Pouliot Larsson Pominville

Girgensons Josefson Moulson

ERod

Scandella Risto

McCabe Antipin

Baloo Bogo

Gorges Falk

Lehner Johnson

AHL

Nylander Malone Baptiste

Smith Porter Fasching

Delo Crisculolo Griffith

Karabacek Cornel Moses

Blackwell Mozito-Bagenda

Guhle Paetsch

Tennyson Fedun

Nelson Stephens

Martin, Atwal, Florentino

Johansson Kasdorf

So why is Moses at camp while none of the other AHL only deals are?  I assume that means they worked out some special "show me" type deal with him with a shot at a two-way deal.  And Sahir Gill, there's a name I haven't seen in a while.

edit: And if he makes that team, I will forever refer to the last d-man on the AHL list as Billy MacWilliam.

Edited by shrader

From Twitter, Jourdon LaBarber: 

D Pairings

Guhle-Risto

McCabe-Fedun

Stephens-Nelson

Gorges-Goloubef

Osmanski

Group 1 lines:

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo

Moulson-Larsson-Fasching

Smith-ERod-Pu

Karabacek-Criscuolo-Cornel

osmonski was splitting time with Guhle as Ristoleinen's partner. Malone and Nylander were scheduled W/ that group but weren't on the ice (or left early at a minimum).

There goes any chance at Reinhart at center 

Not quite, I think it give Sam a chance at #3 C. My post from the Training Camp pinned thread:

So if we interpret the Group A and Group B top lines as the intended top two, we have:

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Then we have the next two lines give an indication of Housley's thoughts:

Pouliot-Reinhart-Moses (placeholder for whoever wins the 3rd RW battle?) 

Moulson-Larsson-Fasching

That says that Sam gets first shot at #3 center based on first training camp lines and they will try out multiple RW combos for him (Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching) to see what works best.

then again it's only one day of camp :nana:

@Matt_Bove  3h3 hours ago
 Housley stops practice to tell team they need more speed breaking out of the zone #Sabres 

@Matt_Bove
Pominville leads the stretch from center ice. Captain or not, he'll be a leader on this team #Sabres @WKBW

@JourdonLaBarber
Risto: "On paper the team looks really good. Young, skilled, speed. I think we have a chance to go far ... We've got to be ready." #Sabres

@TedGoldbergTV
Jake McCabe says he let Pominville take 29 w/o asking for $$. "I've seen a lot more 29 Pominville jerseys than 29 McCabe jerseys" #Sabres

@JourdonLaBarber
Phil Housley said that both Alex Nylander & Sean Malone are week-to-week at this point. #Sabres

@BradleyGelber
So it appears Scandella is in fact good at the hockey. #Sabres

Housley stops practice to tell team they need more speed breaking out of the zone #Sabres

No duh.  It's going to be a breath of fresh air when they finally get all the aBysmal out of their system.

@TedGoldbergTV

Jake McCabe says he let Pominville take 29 w/o asking for $$. "I've seen a lot more 29 Pominville jerseys than 29 McCabe jerseys" #Sabres

This says so many things, all of them good.

Edited by Doohickie

@Matt_Bove

Pominville leads the stretch from center ice. Captain or not, he'll be a leader on this team #Sabres @WKBW

@JourdonLaBarber

Risto: "On paper the team looks really good. Young, skilled, speed. I think we have a chance to go far ... We've got to be ready." #Sabres

@TedGoldbergTV

@JourdonLaBarber

Phil Housley said that both Alex Nylander & Sean Malone are week-to-week at this point. #Sabres

@BradleyGelber

So it appears Scandella is in fact good at the hockey. #Sabres

But most all of those are Slugs, so is he really being kind or cruel by letting Pominville have 29 back. ;)

(Class move by McCabe.)

But most all of those are Slugs, so is he really being kind or cruel by letting Pominville have 29 back. ;)

(Class move by McCabe.)

Weird choice for fans to make now btw. For the record, I don't agree with the whole "bring your jersey in and get the name/number changed" thing the Sabres do.

But if you bought a McCabe 29 jersey you might as well keep it because those jerseys are Reebok whereas the new McCabe jerseys will be Adidas. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.