212 O’Reilly, Ryan  

213 Reichel, Kristian  

214 Pucek, Roman  

215 Almeida, Justin  

216 Kalabushkin, Evgeny  

217 Hartje, Chase  

Article on top 10 picks being traded

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/often-top-10-nhl-draft-picks-traded-june/

Short answer, doesn’t happen much, but Jeff Carter, Jordan Staal, Corey Schneider and Derek Stepan made it happen.

So theoretically, O’Reilly is of similar worth and could return a top 10 pick, but not a top 5.

I think that is dependent on pressures to pursue the right fit for a top six center as well as the team's window for a push at the cup and the cap flexibility available.  So I do think it's not impossible to get in around the top five area.  Bergevin already took a downgrade on Galchenyuk.  

Rakish has Berggren #10 in his model. I should probably have him higher than #32 in my rankings.

Berggren is an interesting case of a high riser who makes sense for the teams build going forward.  I also like Olofsson a bit.  There are a number of interesting prospects that should be in that range.  Somewhere I want to snag Jack Drury, the more I watch of this kid, the more I just want him in the system.  He seems like a sneaky good play. 

Berggren is an interesting case of a high riser who makes sense for the teams build going forward.  I also like Olofsson a bit.  There are a number of interesting prospects that should be in that range.  Somewhere I want to snag Jack Drury, the more I watch of this kid, the more I just want him in the system.  He seems like a sneaky good play. 

Berggren, Oloffson, Back all played on the same Swedish WJC18 team. Berggren had 10pts and lead the team. Olofsson had 3points and no goals. Back had 4 points, 1g, 1a. When playing against players his age, Berggren was significantly better than a couple other forwards in his draft class on his team all projected to go in the general area of the draft. 

Speaking of Berggren (#48) The goal 55 seconds in... omg. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

And my final draft week rankings. I know I said the last post of these was it but I have had more time to digest some info and I moved a few players around. 

Final Rankings, 2018 NHL Draft

I'm always a big proponent of moving up into the later 1st early 2nd round of drafts; who the hell cares what your 3-6th picks are gonna be anyways? Point being, how do we get Dellandrea

I'm always a big proponent of moving up into the later 1st early 2nd round of drafts; who the hell cares what your 3-6th picks are gonna be anyways? Point being, how do we get Dellandrea

So here is the thing. Dellandrea is currently a center and is pretty good at it. He played on a trash team and still lead them in points even though he was basically the youngest guy on it. What we might see happen, teams in that 25-32 range may go defense because they just don't need a center that they could view as under performing. A lot of those teams won't need him either. They will need a 2-4 defender which in this draft you can definitely get. 

25, is TOR and they don't need a center but desperately need defense

26, is NYR and they could use a center but have a chance of taking a "better" one at 9

27, is Chicago and they are fine at center for awhile unless they are worried about Toews. They need defense for sure but did take 1 last year. 

28, is NYR so they could take a defender or forward here. Will be options

29, is STL and they need defense way more than a forward, their prospect pool is deep with Centers

30, is Detroit and they need everything, idk what they will do but they have more good forwards than defenders

31, is Washington and they will need defense

32, is Buffalo... Berggren or Dellandrea could be there. They could also take O'Brien who I don't like as much. 

I am pulling this little tidbit from a Kris Baker article: "would be a nice send off to Sabres’ Swedish scout Jan-Axel Alavaara, who is leaving the job at the end of June to take over managerial duties for German club Adler Mannheim."

Considering that the Sabres Swedish scouting has been pretty solid the last couple years this is saddening to hear but all the best to him. 

Also a player for round 4 that Baker dug up, Ryan Chyzowski. Don't know much about him but his work ethic sounds good. 

"For the period from 2006 to 2011, every single defenceman to play primarily in the SHL at age 17 went on to appear in at least one NHL game. In fact, there’s really only one comparable for Dahlin in this window: Victor Hedman."  - Jonathan Willis 

Key to development: Sabres need to find success through NHL Draft, not just at the top ★

‘The Sabres have just seven goals from any player drafted in the third round or later since 2010, and all those have come from 2013 third-rounder Nick Baptiste. The only skater drafted No. 100 or higher since 2007 to make a contribution is Marcus Foligno, taken at No. 104 in 2009. Foligno is the only player drafted outside Round 2 since 2006 to play at least 50 games for Buffalo.’

BUFFALO NEWS | 10 HOURS AGO

Ya, we have said this before, but have not seen it summed up. We have not drafted well

Who would you have that is 100% going in Round 1?

The obvious are: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Hughes, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Boqvist, Kotkaniemi, Valeno, Hayton, Smith, Farabee, Denisenko, Kravtsov, Kupari

Anyone else?

I thought Wilde too until this weekend. He wasn't invited to the US summer camp for the World Juniors, Corey Pronman dropped him in his rankings due to "off-ice and conditioning issues", whatever that means as I can't find anything else about that.

and now from Bob Mckenzie: 

Like any draft, and like any rankings, there are some wild cards. U.S. defenceman Bode Wilde takes that to a new literal level.

Quite aside from the easy pun, Wilde fits the bill. Four of our surveyed scouts had him top 20, four had between 40 and 60.

Wilde is No. 25 on the TSN list. It goes without saying, but we’ll say it anyway, he could go higher or lower than that.

That group of defensemen in the top ten look great.

Noah Dobson, 6'3" 179lb, 69 points in 67GP for Bathurst in the Q.

The big 6-foot-3 defenceman from the Acadie–Bathurst Titan played so well and so long in leading his team to the Memorial Cup title. Dobson is a strong skater with a high degree of creativity, vision and offensive prowess. Scouts feel we’re only seeing the tip of the iceberg here. Worth noting: Four of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN have Dobson in their top five.

Evan Bouchard 6'2" 192lb, 87 points in 67GP for London in the O.

The third-year OHL defenceman from the London Knights put up spectacular offensive numbers. The heady 6-foot-2 blueliner is arguably the best passer in the game. Long bombs, short outlets to get the attack started – he can do it all. He makes great passes to the right people at the right time, but also has a good shot from the blueline. Bouchard’s skating is said to be good, not necessarily great, but by no means a liability. Although Bouchard is less than three months older than Dobson, he is technically viewed a year older, a late 1999 birth date as opposed to 2000.

Quinn Hughes 5'10" 174lb, 29 points in 37GP for Michigan as a freshman.

The University of Michigan American freshman defenceman has a wow factor to his game. He is the first of a plethora of smart, skilled and dynamic sub-6 foot offensive blueliners in this draft. He plays a go-go-go offensive game, at times more like a rover than a defenceman. He’s fearless, not afraid to make high-risk, high-reward but also high-danger plays. Critics would say he’s not defensively sound or aware; boosters would say he doesn’t need to play much D because the puck is always on his stick. Also a late 1999 birthdate, Hughes played well for Team USA at the senior men’s World Championship.

Adam Boqvist 5'11" 175lb, 24 points in 25GP for Byrnas J20 in SuperElit, got promoted to cut his jib in 15 games in the SHL.

At a shade under six feet tall, the Swede is a dynamic offensive defenceman. He started and finished the season on extremely high notes — he was the best defenceman at the Ivan Hlinka U-18 tourney last August and again at the Under-18 World Championship in April. In between those two events, his game wavered a bit at times as he bounced around to three different teams in three different leagues, playing mostly in the Swedish junior loop but also seeing some time in the elite league and second division. Like Hughes, Boqvist’s defensive acumen is sometimes questioned.

It'd be nutty to trade up into Dobson or Bouchard and end up with a Scandella-Dahlin Dobson-Ristolainen top four in two years.

Future Considerations mock rounds 1-3

https://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-2018-nhl-draft-staff-mock/

That group of defensemen in the top ten look great.

It'd be nutty to trade up into Dobson or Bouchard and end up with a Scandella-Dahlin Dobson-Ristolainen top four in two years.

How on earth would you trade up that high? Also Bouchard IMPO is not worth trading up for. Hughes, Boqvist, and Dobson would be. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

Future Considerations mock rounds 1-3

https://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-2018-nhl-draft-staff-mock/

How on earth would you trade up that high? Also Bouchard IMPO is not worth trading up for. Hughes, Boqvist, and Dobson would be. 

ROR?  Montreal isn't that crazy though are they????  They do really need that C

If Bob's top 31 go exactly that way.

Who are you taking at 32?

1) Merkley 

2) O'Brien

3)  Lundkvist

4) Ylonen

5) Berggren

6) Other

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.