2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

I don't think perimeter players transition well to the NHL in general, Kessel being an exception.  Given just the info from that graphic, I prefer the Russian as well.

I think this is generally true, but it really depends on who you have getting the puck to the sniper on the perimeter.  Martin St. Louis scored many of his goals from the perimeter on a one timer off a fantastic feed from Stamkos.

So, the only thing we need to do is draft Zadina (his name is a lot easier to say, so that will help RJ) and trade for Stamkos.

I think this is generally true, but it really depends on who you have getting the puck to the sniper on the perimeter. Martin St. Louis scored many of his goals from the perimeter on a one timer off a fantastic feed from Stamkos.

So, the only thing we need to do is draft Zadina (his name is a lot easier to say, so that will help RJ) and trade for Stamkos.

Are you feeling well? You’ve never typed his name in lowercase letters before ;)

I wonder what Laine’s goal chart looks like. I’ll try to find one.

I don't think perimeter players transition well to the NHL in general, Kessel being an exception.  Given just the info from that graphic, I prefer the Russian as well.

Jack is a perimeter player. I think it can translate fine, depending on who guys are lined up with.

Jack is a perimeter player. I think it can translate fine, depending on who guys are lined up with.

Coach doesn't agree.  He's been harping that the Sabres are on the perimeter too much and they aren't getting into dirty areas.  Jack has enough talent to get it done.  When they don't have Jack's level of talent, you get Nylander.

Coach doesn't agree.  He's been harping that the Sabres are on the perimeter too much and they aren't getting into dirty areas.  Jack has enough talent to get it done.  When they don't have Jack's level of talent, you get Nylander.

I agree. I long have wondered why Jack isn’t using his speed and power to force things and drive to the net.

I suppose I meant that a more perimeter-style player is fine as long as they possess and execute on their ability to drive to the dirty areas at opportune times.

I agree. I long have wondered why Jack isn’t using his speed and power to force things and drive to the net.

I suppose I meant that a more perimeter-style player is fine as long as they possess and execute on their ability to drive to the dirty areas at opportune times.

Because Housley isn't drilling it into their heads every day at every practice to drive the net. This team plays like they practice, soft and casual. 

We were just talking about this, and here it is again from Housley.  http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-must-possess-shot-mentality/

You watch the highlights, it’s puck going to the net and traffic, and the guys who haven’t scored a lot of goals recently, we got to have more guys going there because you’re going to find a way, it’s going to hit you, you’re going to get a rebound. “Yeah, that’s a tough place to play, but guys that go there get rewarded.

The more I think about it, the more I like that Russian kid over Zadina.

I remember early in the year it seemed that most of Eichel’s goals were hapenning from the netfront, “garbage goal” types. Those seem to have dried up a tad lately. Gotta get back to doing what Housley’s talking about.

Edited by Thorny

That’s one of the things Chris Taylor mentioned about CJ Smith, he is successful because he is willing to go to the dirty areas

Svechnikov and Zadina are very close IMPO.  That said, I think we win the lottery and get Dahlin.  If not, I could see several scenarios where Botterill takes Tkachuk at 2, 3, or 4. 

Something to keep in mind is that at 11 months younger than Casey and playing in the same league, Brady is producing at a similar level. I would be curious to know what you think Rakish on Tkachuk's production in that league relative to his age. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Tkachuk highlights. Also did anyone know that Casey Fitzgerald is Brady's cousin?

I wanted to pay extra attention to his skating. In the beginning of the video he has clearly powerful strides but it takes a little bit for him to get going. These highlights are primarily from last year in the USHL. You do get to see the balance and edgework though, he is very solid and has some strong cuts. I don't care for the first few steps he takes. 

Fast forward to the world juniors and his College tape and I think there is a marked difference. His agility has improved but so has his quickness. He looks less heavy when he starts skating and his cuts seem faster.  I did notice he has that Eichel Illusion, where you are skating fast but you don't look it. I've also been rewatching some of his goals and his passes. He seems very aware of his teammates and does cut to the net often. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Svechnikov and Zadina are very close IMPO.  That said, I think we win the lottery and get Dahlin.  If not, I could see several scenarios where Botterill takes Tkachuk at 2, 3, or 4. 

Something to keep in mind is that at 11 months younger than Casey and playing in the same league, Brady is producing at a similar level. I would be curious to know what you think Rakish on Tkachuk's production in that league relative to his age. 

The important stat is scoring in relation to the rest of the team, and how good that team is. Mittelstadt leads his team in scoring, not by a lot, but the team is not so good.  Tkachuk is outscored, but not by a lot.  It's not a calculation I can do off the top of my head.

Without actually doing the math, my guess is Dahlin, Tkachuck, Svetchnikov, Bouchard, Zadina, but I wait for the end of the regular season to do the math.

The important stat is scoring in relation to the rest of the team, and how good that team is. Mittelstadt leads his team in scoring, not by a lot, but the team is not so good.  Tkachuk is outscored, but not by a lot.  It's not a calculation I can do off the top of my head.

Without actually doing the math, my guess is Dahlin, Tkachuck, Svetchnikov, Bouchard, Zadina, but I wait for the end of the regular season to do the math.

Always wait to the end of the season. Some guys really hit their stride in the 2nd half. 

Thanks for the list:

Quote about my #6 Dobson :    If you want a high end skater and look past the stats - Dobson should be rated higher than Bouchard IMO

Dobson just keeps getting better” says ISS Director of Scouting Dennis MacInnis. “He’s the complete package, a big mobile two-way defenceman who is as steady as they come. He reads the game very well, has excellent hockey sense and mobility, and consistently makes smart decisions with the puck with high end puck control. He does everything hard, quick and with a purpose, and has good speed and quick feet for his size. He’s not the most physical player, but he knows how to get himself in the right position to shut down the rush. It’s tough to find a weakness in his game right now”.

Edited by Crusader1969

If they are drafting fifth, there is a serious debate over taking Dobson over Boqvist.

Im still in the Boqvist camp at 5, but the 5 nations could change my mind. Hope the games are available online.

A strong 5 nations could move Boqvist back into the conversation with the 3 LW prospects.

Boqvist played with Brynas J20 last weekend and had 2 goals in the game on Saturday.  Thats 14 goals in 23 J20 Games for a Dman. 

Im still in the Boqvist camp at 5, but the 5 nations could change my mind. Hope the games are available online.

A strong 5 nations could move Boqvist back into the conversation with the 3 LW prospects.

Boqvist played with Brynas J20 last weekend and had 2 goals in the game on Saturday. Thats 14 goals in 23 J20 Games for a Dman.

I love that they are both right shots. Bye, bye, Bogosian. (Eventually)

Edited by Thorny

Here is an NHL scouts comment about my #2 prospect Svechnikov

"He is a horse. He’s got it…he’s so skilled. He uses his reach really well, he’s protecting pucks, I like how he takes pucks to the net, he’s just got the offensive hockey sense, a lot of give-and-go, making plays through seams. I think he’s pretty much the total package up front"

Sounds exactly what the Sabres need.

Draft list update.  I still have 11 ballots, but the 2 remaining Dec ballots are gone and replaced with 2 Feb ballots.  Surprisingly it made some very subtle changes to the list. 

26 players remain very likely 1st rd picks, but another 5 are balloting at over 50% making 31.

18 players are sure fire 1st rd picks and the top 7 remains significantly above the rest of the pack.  I have changed the tiers a little to reflect a growing gap between the top 3 and the next 4 but also a big gap between 4&5 and 6&7

Top 18

Tier 1 - Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina

Tier 2 - Boqvist and Tkachuk

Tier 3 - Wahlstrom and Hughes

Tier 4 - Kupari, Smith, Dobson, Farabee and Bouchard

Tier 5 - Wilde, Veleno, Lundstrom, Hayton, Kotkaniemi and Denisenko

Next 9

Tier 6 - McLeod, Merkley, McIssac, Bokk

Tier 7 - Groulx, Thomas, Woo, Olofsson and Noel

Next 5  (This is the group I expect our 2nd rd pick will come from)

Tier 8 - McBain, Addison, Alexeyev (support falling), Tychonick (support increasing) and M. Samuelsson

Could also sneak in (30% + support)  

Tier 9 - Sandin, Miller, Kaut, Hallander, Khovanov and Kravtsov

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.