Zadorov vs Ristolainen and what our RFA's should be paid.

GASabresIUFAN

I stumbled across this article about the Avs having failed to get Zadorov under contract so far.  https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/7/16/15974660/nikita-zadorov-sign-contract-colorado-avalanche

The author implies that Nikita is actually a better player then Risto and Risto is horribly overpaid.

A bad idea of how to compensation Zadarov would be to follow the Sabres by paying for what they wanted Ristolainen to turn into, rather than what he is, which is arguably not as good as Zadorov.

Ristolainen received a $5.4M AAV for 6 years and he struggles to put up third pairing numbers. The argument that Ristolainen’s minutes are tougher than a third pairing defender, and that someone like Zadorov may have similar shot suppression in those minutes, but no matter how you slice it, Ristolainen is horrifically overpaid and is a cautionary tale.

FYI: The formula that the author uses to determine Zadorov's value, has results for all 2017 FA's. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oLsyS63DJO58zSXEbUv2HFXhSFK5IyuN3lCOgfPjt6M/edit#gid=0

It predicts $3 mill for Baloo, $4 mill for Lehner.  It also says we are underpaying Johnson 250K and overpaying Larsson 140K.  It says we got a great deal on Pouliot (underpaying 300k) and Ullmark (underpaying 167K).

This guy's opinions are to reality as Zadorov is to Risto and the Avs are to a competent hockey team. 

It's fine to look at advanced stats and see how Risto is caved in and raise your eyebrows, it's another thing to suggest that a scratched player from a team that had a worse season than the tanking Sabres could be better than a 40+ point defenseman that was the only one our team trusted to give top 5 minutes in the entire league. 

This ought to get some entertaining reactionary posts.

He's absolutely correct that Risto is being paid for what he should turn into, and not performance to date though.

I hope this was everything you wished for and more.

My caps lock is broken (as is my pinky) and that is the only reason you missed out on a Liger-like rant filled with expletives and name calling :lol:

Liger has become pleasantly pessimistic.  But I am sure someone will step up.  :D

This guy's opinions are to reality as Zadorov is to Risto and the Avs are to a competent hockey team. 

It's fine to look at advanced stats and see how Risto is caved in and raise your eyebrows, it's another thing to suggest that a scratched player from a team that had a worse season than the tanking Sabres could be better than a 40+ point defenseman that was the only one our team trusted to give top 5 minutes in the entire league. 

I hope this was everything you wished for and more.

Accurate.

Too accurate to be a true rant.

I stumbled across this article about the Avs having failed to get Zadorov under contract so far. https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/7/16/15974660/nikita-zadorov-sign-contract-colorado-avalanche

The author implies that Nikita is actually a better player then Risto and Risto is horribly overpaid.

FYI: The formula that the author uses to determine Zadorov's value, has results for all 2017 FA's. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oLsyS63DJO58zSXEbUv2HFXhSFK5IyuN3lCOgfPjt6M/edit#gid=0

It predicts $3 mill for Baloo, $4 mill for Lehner. It also says we are underpaying Johnson 250K and overpaying Larsson 140K. It says we got a great deal on Pouliot (underpaying 300k) and Ullmark (underpaying 167K).

As someone who was one of Zadorov's biggest cheerleaders when he was here, all I gotta say is: LOL

Zadorov hasn't been a Sabre for two seasons, and Ristolainen is somewhat established minus a terrible CORSI.  There is a huge difference in the player profile, leverage etc.   Furthermore, he's not a Sabre anymore, so who gives a damn.

Zadorov hasn't been a Sabre for two seasons, and Ristolainen is somewhat established minus a terrible CORSI.  There is a huge difference in the player profile, leverage etc.   Furthermore, he's not a Sabre anymore, so who gives a damn.

Avs fans with enormous axes to grind, mostly. 

It also says we are underpaying Johnson 250K and overpaying Larsson 140K.  It says we got a great deal on Pouliot (underpaying 300k) and Ullmark (underpaying 167K).

These numbers a good for a laugh.  I don't know if it goes into much detail, but they essentially say that they nailed this guys perceived value for each of these contracts.

Snow.

Anyways, I can't figure out how Zadorov is "arguably better" than Ristolainen.

I think you have to equate usage stats as similar to "On Tuesdays in months that have the letter A in them", which we have seen done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.