dudacek's Sabrespace Offseason NHL Player Ranking Game Thread

Randall Flagg

It's been two seasons since we ranked all NHL players, all positions, in one comprehensive list. Things can change a lot in that time, and I'm in the process of trying to find the thread in which we did this last so that we can compare when all is said and done.

Here's how it's going to work - For the next 48 hours, posters can comment "I'm in." if they want to take part. On Friday July 14th at 2:30pm we will have the finished list of participating posters. 

I will put that list of posters in a hat (or dudacek can if he wants to, he was the mastermind of the first iteration which went very well) and draw names randomly. That will give the "draft order". For example, say Bill, Todd, Sally, Michael, Jess, and Freddy are drawn in that order. The picks would go as follows:

1. Bill

2. Todd

3. Sally

4. Michael

5. Jess

6. Freddy

7. Freddy

8. Jess

9. Michael

10. Sally

11. Todd

12. Bill

13. Bill

14. Todd

etc.

If you want to play, I'd advise taking some amount of time to look through rosters or scoring lists to have a general idea of your ranking list. I am going to go all out and make my list today and tomorrow, so I can cross guys out as they get picked and read off my highest ranked remaining player with little effort as the listing goes on. This is so I don't take Spezza because I forgot Getzlaf exists, which would skew the rankings and not actually represent how I feel about the two players. 

If nobody wants to play then I will just post a 200+ name list of my preferred NHL players in order for everyone to ignore. 

But it sounds like Eleven and WildCard have already declared their participation, so that makes three of us. 

Who else is in? And if I've forgotten any wrinkles, do please remind us all. 

Oh yea I remember this. Basically when it is your turn you can pick who you feel is the best NHL player that hasn't been drafted yet. So if Bill takes Crosby, Todd could take McDavid and Sally could take P. Kane etc...

I am out as of right now due to some work commitments coming down the pipe. If that magically changes I will let you know. 

When will the draft be?  That will determine my inness, or outness.

It probably took us about a week to complete, we'll just start whenever someone says go after that deadline and whenever the person who has the first pick is online and is ready to pick. Then we wait until the next pick is online and sees that it's his/her turn, and makes the pick. So if you're in, try to check the board once per day. I can remind the thread whose turn it is after each pick if we want. 

Any chance SDS could help us drag up that old thread? I'd love to see what everyone's rosters were back then

Yes please, Ive skimmed all the threads from April through November of 2015 and I cannot find it. I know it was that summer because Jack and Connor were part of it.

Need to consider it but the idea is great just made my head spin as I started a quick one in myy head...

You definitely don't NEED to be thorough about it haha. As time goes in it just helps to remember a good chunk of the players in a tier like that of, say, Palat, Tatar, Johnson etc. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

I'm een.

Can we establish once and for all what the criteria is? Is it based purely on what the players have achieved already? Or past performance as well as potential? Or are we picking as if drafting a team? I.e. - McDavid goes ahead of Sid as he's much younger.

I'm een.

Can we establish once and for all what the criteria is? Is it based purely on what the players have achieved already? Or past performance as well as potential? Or are we picking as if drafting a team? I.e. - McDavid goes ahead of Sid as he's much younger.

Agreed. IMO, it should be for what they will do in the next two years, since that's the time the last one was held and we're trying to dig that up

Agreed. IMO, it should be for what they will do in the next two years, since that's the time the last one was held and we're trying to dig that up

Makes sense.

It could be kinda like NFL network's annual list. It's ranked as the top players in the league FOR NEXT SEASON.

I'm in. How many players? 250? Is this supposed to be a forward looking list or a backward looking list? What I mean is the list supposed to be end of last season's top 250 or who I think will be in the top 250 by the end of next season. For example I might rank Jack Eichel as a top 40 player for last season, but my projection for next season of 80+ pts might put him in the top 15 for 2017-18.

You guys have the idea right. It's as if you're picking these players to play 82 games for your team next year. Out of the remaining pool of NHL talent, pick the guy that you think will be the best player for the next 82 hockey games. 

So far it's me, Eleven, WC, ubkev, Taro, Thorny, NS, GA, and maybe North Buffalo. 

We should probably put a cap on number of participants, no? How about at 15, just so everyone gets to make a decent number of picks before it becomes too muddled to bother?

Are we trying to build a full roster? 

You know, 13 forwards, 7 d and 2 goalies?

:w00t:

It's a wild goose chase, my lovely.

I think duda deleted it.

This was the big confusion last time, so let's just give it an emphatic No this time. No roster building, taking G because you haven't yet or anything like that. 

Maybe we can do a build-a-team competition at some point too, with posters that didn't make the deadline for this thread but were interested? 

This was the big confusion last time, so let's just give it an emphatic No this time. No roster building, taking G because you haven't yet or anything like that. 

Maybe we can do a build-a-team competition at some point too, with posters that didn't make the deadline for this thread but were interested? 

So, we are basically picking the top scorers, right?

And, it seems that dudacek is online.  I think he could do a search in his profile of threads he started.

How about a max of 20 posters actually, we can do 200 picks so that each poster gets 10.

Sounds good.

So, we are basically picking the top scorers, right?

And, it seems that dudacek is online.  I think he could do a search in his profile of threads he started.

Not necessarily. Includes defensive ability as well. And intangibles.

Although, if we are going to include intangibles, we should remove Toews from eligibility. He too obviously goes 1st overall.

:worthy:  :worthy:

That thread is hilarious btw, I forgot how much fun this place can be.

I drafted like such a too

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.