dudacek's Sabrespace Offseason NHL Player Ranking Game Thread

Randall Flagg

I've looked everywhere and I don't see it. Any idea what the title might be?

It was something draft.  I drafted the Hawks anthem singer and was flamed.  I still stand by the pick.  :flirt:

Reading a bit of last time it was a hoot, but a bit unclear as to the exact rules.  Seems like we should be selecting the best all-round skater from all players in the NHL when we are on the clock.

I'm still in for this time around.

It also seems like it should be a this-year-only ranking. In other words, not what player you would most want to build around or who will be the best over the next x amount of years.

Either way I'm in if it's not full.

It also seems like it should be a this-year-only ranking. In other words, not what player you would most want to build around or who will be the best over the next x amount of years.

Either way I'm in if it's not full.

You got it. We should not be seeing names like Dylan Strome, Alex Nylander, Mikhail Sergachev. (unless some schmuck thinks those guys are going to be good-to-great NHLers in the 17-18 season)

And NS, reading through that, a lot of the muddled rules in that last one are my fault, I have no idea why I was so whiny about building a team. We'll steer completely clear of that this time. No contracts, no long term projections, no building teams, just pick the guy you want the most for this next season, as if we were making the list for the Hockey News' annual Top 100 players list.

So now we have So far it's me, Eleven, WC, ubkev, Taro, Thorny, NS, GA, North Buffalo, maybe Sabills, dudacek, EichSnipe, IrwinNelson, Derrico, and no qwk as of now? We have room for 2 more (1 if Sabills is in) if sticking to 15, and 7 more if we stretch it to 20. 

Probably because the point of this is to pass the time when hockey isn't happening, the several month chasm between now and when fantasy hockey can actually exist.

When you pay attention to boredom it gets unbelievably interesting.

I'll play... can anybody guess who I'm NOT taking? haha

why don't we just do a fantasy hockey league... it's basically the same thing

Probably because the point of this is to pass the time when hockey isn't happening, the several month chasm between now and when fantasy hockey can actually exist.

Aren't there usually two fantasy hockey leagues anyway? People can then use this as their rankings if they so choose. 

Aren't there usually two fantasy hockey leagues anyway? People can then use this as their rankings if they so choose. 

Good point. The final comprehensive list could definitely help people catch players others are missing in some fantasy draft later on this summer/fall.

Also, I know nfreeman only gets on specific times of day, so I'm softly reserving a spot for him like for True, because he was really into the last one we did and almost missed it (Eleven offered him one of the two spots he had). 

pool.jpg

It took me about 1.5 hours to get my Atlantic Division list finalized, shown above (and left blurry intentionally). You wouldn't think a broken pinky could make writing so hard.

I'll do the same for the other 3 and make a mega-list to make my draft picks easy. 

Maybe if people want, every 20-30 picks or so I can throw out a random list of names that I have left, out of order, that would generally be accepted as the current tier in which we are picking, to make sure we don't forget any big names (for example, the amount of times I forget Claude Giroux exists is not close to being proportional to how good of a player he is). Or not. I don't want to actively influence anyone's preference, unless you're picking Toews.

Edited by Randall Flagg

pool.jpg

It took me about 1.5 hours to get my Atlantic Division list finalized, shown above (and left blurry intentionally). You wouldn't think a broken pinky could make writing so hard.

I'll do the same for the other 3 and make a mega-list to make my draft picks easy. 

Maybe if people want, every 20-30 picks or so I can throw out a random list of names that I have left, out of order, that would generally be accepted as the current tier in which we are picking, to make sure we don't forget any big names (for example, the amount of times I forget Claude Giroux exists is not close to being proportional to how good of a player he is). Or not. I don't want to actively influence anyone's preference, unless you're picking Toews.

Give us a little credit.  Your list isn't the end all be all :P

Give us a little credit.  Your list isn't the end all be all :P

That's what the rest of the paragraph is for! For example, last time Brad Marchand went 164th, Holtby 129th, Brodie 144th while Zemgus was taken 39th and Ennis 80th. Brad hadn't broken out yet, but he was still miles ahead of the two Sabres, Brodie had just broken out as a top 2 D, Holtby had had 4 seasons of .920+ SP%. If our list is full of stuff like that, then it doesn't really have much value as a player ranking. Of course, I definitely trust you guys, so it's not like I'd be throwing out the order you should post because I say so, it'd be more of like a "there are still 15 forwards left in the top 50 of scoring last year jsyk" type of deal. But also I can definitely just avoid doing anything like that.

And let's be patient with this, it took almost two weeks I think last time, sometimes people get busy!

So now we have me, Eleven, WC, ubkev, Taro, Thorny, NS, GA, North Buffalo, maybe Sabills, dudacek, EichSnipe, IrwinNelson, Derrico, pi2000, TrueBlueGED* and nfreeman*.

Edited by Randall Flagg

That's what the rest of the paragraph is for! For example, last time Brad Marchand went 164th, Holtby 129th, Brodie 144th while Zemgus was taken 39th and Ennis 80th. Brad hadn't broken out yet, but he was still miles ahead of the two Sabres, Brodie had just broken out as a top 2 D, Holtby had had 4 seasons of .920+ SP%. If our list is full of stuff like that, then it doesn't really have much value as a player ranking. Of course, I definitely trust you guys, so it's not like I'd be throwing out the order you should post because I say so, it'd be more of like a "there are still 15 forwards left in the top 50 of scoring last year jsyk" type of deal. But also I can definitely just avoid doing anything like that.

And let's be patient with this, it took almost two weeks I think last time, sometimes people get busy!

So now we have So far it's me, Eleven, WC, ubkev, Taro, Thorny, NS, GA, North Buffalo, maybe Sabills, dudacek, EichSnipe, IrwinNelson, Derrico, pi2000, TrueBlueGED* and nfreeman*.

Wait did you say Zemgus was taken 39th?  Oh man I hope that wasn't me!

Oh ya it's a lonnnnnnng summer before meaningful hockey discussion.  This draft doesn't have to be completed in a day or two that's for sure. 

Edited by Derrico

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.