How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

I think there is a simpler argument that is being missed. Do you want to keep this team basically the same as it was, blame everything on the coach that was fired and somehow hope that everyone will be magically better under the new coach and stay healthy and exceed their current peaks OR  do you think the team was rubbish and needs a bigger overhaul and more new bodies? 

There are points that can be made for both sides, but I think it is the latter, and in that scenario you trade a guy who had a peak season while his value is higher than it will be if he gets injured or drops off or has off ice problems ("because he's Kane") and you do it now since GMs have started to wise up to the deadline deals and prices the last two years have started to drop on trade deadline day not rise.

Bottom line is this team was dull rubbish last year. Uninspiring and often lacking. lacking in effort, desire, character, identity, ability etc etc etc. Blame who you want, but I as a fan am sick of losing. We are like the Cleveland Browns of the nhl and I'm sick of it.  

I think there is a simpler argument that is being missed. Do you want to keep this team basically the same as it was, blame everything on the coach that was fired and somehow hope that everyone will be magically better under the new coach and stay healthy and exceed their current peaks OR do you think the team was rubbish and needs a bigger overhaul and more new bodies?

There are points that can be made for both sides, but I think it is the latter, and in that scenario you trade a guy who had a peak season while his value is higher than it will be if he gets injured or drops off or has off ice problems ("because he's Kane") and you do it now since GMs have started to wise up to the deadline deals and prices the last two years have started to drop on trade deadline day not rise.

Bottom line is this team was dull rubbish last year. Uninspiring and often lacking. lacking in effort, desire, character, identity, ability etc etc etc. Blame who you want, but I as a fan am sick of losing. We are like the Cleveland Browns of the nhl and I'm sick of it.

This team really isn't "basically the same" but okay

Teams are dumb in UFA every year. Just because some gm is willing to pay him doesn't mean that's smart. The gm lining up statement is a false argument.

Like I said, there might very well be a GM that does. But we don't know that to a certainty. Therefore I'll continue opining on signing Kane to an extension that doesn't involve a 7 million AAV.

Edited by Thorny

Ok but why call out ppl who don't want to sign him but think he'll get paid elsewhere?

When did I do this?

I simply said there are people that think he'll get an amount in FA that I'm not positive he'll get. I didn't call anyone out or challenge them to a duel.

..but I have my slapping glove here beside me, if anyone has the cajones.

Edited by Thorny

dudacek has brought forth my favourite point on the matter multiple times: lots of people don't want to pay Kane, but those same people generally think there'll be teams lining up to get him paid.

Maybe there'll be a GM that goes overboard.

Yes I don't want to pay Kane but I can see 2-3 teams lining up to give him 6 years x7 mil or something.

Yes I don't want to pay Kane but I can see 2-3 teams lining up to give him 6 years x7 mil or something.

Agree on suitors and term. In my view I don't see him getting 7 mil, looking at the contracts handed out to other wingers of his caliber.

Edited by Thorny

I think Kane started off bad with us: showing very little awareness and often wasting possession with low percentage shots. But last year he looked good with skill players and seemed to display increased awareness. He needs to keep trending up in this area to get a big deal with the Sabres. Dudacek has advocated for a Kane-Reinhart pairing for a while now. I'd like to see that.

What will he get at FA?

I think Kane is more or less worth his current contract. And I'd be hesitant to give him more than five years.

I think it is likely someone gives him $6 million over six.

Either total could change though, based on this year.

As discussed up thread, $7 million makes him among the highest-paid wings in hockey.

In a world where Okposo got $6 million and Lucic got $6 million as better, safer players, why do you think a baggage-packing 25-goal 40-point man will get $7 million?

Edited by dudacek

I also think this conversation is premature. Like Reinhart, JBOT looks to be taking a wait and see approach to Kane.  I'm sure he wants to gauge his attitude both on and off the ice and wants to see his chemistry with Jack and maybe Sam (if at center) before even beginning contract talks.  

If Kane stays healthy and plays well, then it may be an easy choice for Jbot to try to keep him.  It will likely mean that Kane has developed good chemistry with one of the centers and the team is thriving under the new system.   

I 100% agree.

I also expect this team to make the playoffs. I think those with the "ship him out at the deadline" will be sorely disappointed. I can see him being an asset to us in the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

And who knows?  Maybe Housley is grooming Bailey to be the next Kane.  If it takes, they can trade Kane at the deadline for picks/prospects.

I think that's a bit of a stretch, Bailey has showed virtually nothing to prove he belongs in the NHL for anything more than the 3rd line.  I'm not saying that it can't happen, but, chances are he's not coming close to Kane's output at the NHL level.  I do hope i am wrong on that though, I'll gladly eat crow.

I think that's a bit of a stretch, Bailey has showed virtually nothing to prove he belongs in the NHL for anything more than the 3rd line.  I'm not saying that it can't happen, but, chances are he's not coming close to Kane's output at the NHL level.  I do hope i am wrong on that though, I'll gladly eat crow.

That post was also made a couple weeks ago, a couple days into preseason.  It was a thought.  Maybe, just maybe, Bailey will spend some time in Rochester trying to develop that role and if he comes up (when Kane inevitably gets injured) and does well, it could make him an option.

I have no problem with signing Kane to an extension, but I'm also okay with moving him for assets.  It doesn't hurt to consider what the backfill plan is.

That post was also made a couple weeks ago, a couple days into preseason.  It was a thought.  Maybe, just maybe, Bailey will spend some time in Rochester trying to develop that role and if he comes up (when Kane inevitably gets injured) and does well, it could make him an option.

I have no problem with signing Kane to an extension, but I'm also okay with moving him for assets.  It doesn't hurt to consider what the backfill plan is.

My bad, I didnt realize the date of that, i think we were all hoping to see more improvement from guys like Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching etc. too bad it didnt happen, yet i suppose.

I am of the opinion that the Sabres will be on the playoff bubble all season, it'll be a tough pill to swallow considering trading your top LW at the deadline when you are 'in the hunt' or in a playoff position.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.