Jack Eichel Contract Extension: Talks Occuring

WildCard

A person familiar with negotiations tells The Associated Press the Buffalo Sabres and Jack Eichel are discussing a contract extension that could run the NHL maximum eight years.

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity on Wednesday because the talks have been private since formal negotiations began a little over a month ago.

Wawrow usually isn't full of , right?

Think of it as a game: can our expectations of him be any higher than right now?  How likely is it that he exceeds our current lofty expectations?  If the answer is "not very likely," then there's no penalty to him to extend now - and there could be risk (injury/poor performance/disaster) in not signing now.

If someone wants to pay you $Texas to do something you love where you want to do it, you don't tell them to come back in a year, especially if it's unlikely that you'd get paid more then.

Well I guess the one thing he gets now is, he's younger when he comes out of it. Presumably that would mean his second contract would be worth more than if he was, say 29 than if was 30.

It actually doesn't effect the length at all. Extension kicks in after ELC expires.

Edited by Sabres79

It actually doesn't hangs the length at all. Extension kicks in after ELC expires.

That's rough then

Think of it as a game: can our expectations of him be any higher than right now?  How likely is it that he exceeds our current lofty expectations?  If the answer is "not very likely," then there's no penalty to him to extend now - and there could be risk (injury/poor performance/disaster) in not signing now.

If someone wants to pay you $Texas to do something you love where you want to do it, you don't tell them to come back in a year, especially if it's unlikely that you'd get paid more then.

Makes sense, I could see that.

Just odd, feel like most players in his situation would just wait and cash in

Also, there is always the off-chance of some freak injury causing him (rightly or wrongly) to be tagged *injury-prone,* which could be leveraged against him. Take the cash while it's on the table- I'm sure that's a calculation of his agent's, for whom these are #'s games.

I recommend staying away from the comments. Utter drivel.

I really don't understand why he would sign a deal right now

The deal he signs tomorrow is likely no different than the deal he signs ten months from now. IMO.

Ya, pretty much. Everyone involved is likely operating under the "points per games played" banner. Everyone knows what Eichel is, that he's basically a point a game player already, having put up a great 77 point-pace season at 20. And they know that the production is going to go up.

Botterill isn't going to utter "57 points" in the discussions, as if that was an accurate measure of his talent. It's like IKnowPhysics said: he's not going to increase his value by putting up a 80/90 point season this coming year. That's already what he's seen as, and what he'll be paid as.

Edited by Thorny