Sabres pick #8 Casey Mittlestadt

spndnchz

You're right; for some reason I thought he had announced that he was going to leave college beforehand.  Like around the time of the "Buffalo I'm comin' for ya" video.

I just remember callers on WGR constantly freaking out that he would refuse to come here, which even worse than the fear of Mittlestadt not coming here.

I just remember callers on WGR constantly freaking out that he would refuse to come here, which even worse than the fear of Mittlestadt not coming here.

Mittlestadt can play with Jack Eichel, one of the best American born players in the league right now. He also can make 1.8million dollars in the 2 years he plays instead of being in college. He will leave next summer or the one after. All will be will. 

Mittlestadt can play with Jack Eichel, one of the best American born players in the league right now. He also can make 1.8million dollars in the 2 years he plays instead of being in college. He will leave next summer or the one after. All will be will. 

Yeah, I'm unconcerned.

I'm reading the guy was an absolute rink rat, which is why he developed the hands/sense that he did after being unremarkable as an early teenager. Being a rink rat in HS, sandwiching your last season with USHL stints (and leading that league in points per game) with the "facilities" available at HS, it isn't shocking that he's not very fit. 

Check out his soon-to-be-school's athletic complex if you're worried about his training. All his buddies and teammates will be training. He will be training. That place is far better than a CHL training facility, that's for sure. 

I'm excited.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I'm reading the guy was an absolute rink rat, which is why he developed the hands/sense that he did after being unremarkable as an early teenager. Being a rink rat in HS, sandwiching your last season with USHL stints (and leading that league in points per game) with the "facilities" available at HS, it isn't shocking that he's not very fit.

Check out his soon-to-be-school's athletic complex if you're worried about his training. All his buddies and teammates will be training. He will be training. That place is far better than a CHL training facility, that's for sure.

I'm excited.

I agree, I think he is gonna be fine

I'll take an ugly team that produces pretty results any day of the week. ;)

They'll all lose their teeth at some point, too.

Pull-ups? For the next two years we'll put him on a strict training regimen on a distant planet, err, campus. Running. Climbing vines. Flipping. Handstands. Carrying trainers in backpacks while philosophizing and asking questions. More flipping. Going into caves to face his fears. Levitating rocks and Artoo units. More flips. And he'll become quite badass. In addition to speed and slick finishing skills.

Our hope is that he doesn't try to come to our rescue too soon.

They'll all lose their teeth at some point, too.

Pull-ups? For the next two years we'll put him on a strict training regimen on a distant planet, err, campus. Running. Climbing vines. Flipping. Handstands. Carrying trainers in backpacks while philosophizing and asking questions. More flipping. Going into caves to face his fears. Levitating rocks and Artoo units. More flips. And he'll become quite badass. In addition to speed and slick finishing skills.

Our hope is that he doesn't try to come to our rescue too soon.

Even if he does, it'll work out fine in the end.

How bad can the pick be given Central Scouting had him rated number 3?  You never know with these kids, but picking a young kid with his skill where we did seems like pretty good value.  

He has the skill and will only get stronger.

Any chance he makes the 2018 USA olympics roster?

It just occurred to me that the schedule is out and that there is now a 100% chance that the league will not pause for the Olympics.  I hope the players revolt and go anyway.

As near as I can determine, this is one of the top five most skilled teenagers the Sabres have drafted in the past 25 years. Good speed, great hands, fine creativity and excellent determination. He has first-line upside.

Eichel is a step above obviously, but he is on a tier with Reinhart and Nylander, way above the Armias and Pysyks and Staffords and Rasmussens we are used to drafting.

He's going to cook for a couple years in a fine college hockey program, be a key cog in the US WJC team and a fixture on top prospect lists. Then he will likely move on to a 10-year NHL career with a Dave Gagner floor and a Phil Kessel ceiling.

Watch the highlights. The kid has talent. Talent is good. It's fun to watch and it helps teams win.

We are so bruised. Cheer up. We got better.

Edited by dudacek

As near as I can determine, this is one of the top five most skilled teenagers the Sabres have drafted in the past 25 years. Good speed, great hands, fine creativity and excellent determination. He has first-line upside.

Eichel is a step above obviously, but he is on a tier with Reinhart and Nylander, way above the Armias and Pysyks and Staffords and Rasmussens we are used to drafting.

He's going to cook for a couple years in a fine college hockey program, be a key cog in the US WJC team and a fixture on top prospect lists. Then he will likely move on to a 10-year NHL career with a Dave Gagner floor and a Phil Kessel ceiling.

Watch the highlights. The kid has talent. Talent is good. It's fun to watch and it helps teams win.

We are so bruised. Cheer up. We got better.

dudacek, I respect your opinions.  If you're putting this guy in the company of Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, McKee, Wideman, Biron, Tallinder, Afinogenov, Miller, Pominville, Roy, and, of course, Mark Mancari and David Cooper, I'm expecting a very, very good hockey player.

It just occurred to me that the schedule is out and that there is now a 100% chance that the league will not pause for the Olympics.  I hope the players revolt and go anyway.

Ovi is leading the charge on that, hopefully others will follow.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19076145/washington-capitals-star-alex-ovechkin-says-going-olympics

I won't miss Eichel for a minute if he decides to play over there.

Are you the same Eleven that has been banging the "playoffs or execute everyone" drum? Losing Eichel for two weeks would not help that cause.

dudacek, I respect your opinions.  If you're putting this guy in the company of Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, McKee, Wideman, Biron, Tallinder, Afinogenov, Miller, Pominville, Roy, and, of course, Mark Mancari and David Cooper, I'm expecting a very, very good hockey player.

Not Jack, and I forgot about Max - there's a great example of great talent not equalling great player - but in terms of talent, yes, I'm comfortable with saying he is equal to, or better than the rest.

This is purely speculative, but does the Casey pick have any ramifications for Sam as far as future 2C is concerned, long term? Also I'm over my fit, BPA is fine and I'm not a GM. Just wondering how this could affect Sam long term as a top six center. Maybe roll three scoring lines?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.