Ullmark Signed to Two Year Extension

Brawndo

Let me put it this way.... he was a mid round pick, below average size for an NHL goaltender, very mediocre stats in the USHL, no world juniors appearances, stats are decent for a mid-upper tier college goalie. What makes you believe he'll be an exception and become a regular starter in the NHL when all the evidence suggests otherwise?

Never said Matthews would suck in the NHL, but go ahead and keep putting words in my mouth.

Okay what you said exactly to a T was... 

Again....  I expected Matthews to impress out of the gate.    When his ELC expires, and he signs his max deal, he'll experience a sharp steady decline into oblivion.... I said this back in June:   

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24179-vesey-signs-with-rangers-huge-thread-now-moot/?view=findpost&p=837412

"WRT Matthews we'll see how it plays out.    For the record, I predicted he would peak as a top 10 scorer in the league, he'll sign a franchise deal, and then the downward spiral will begin."

But I agree with your point about our GT. He has worse numbers than Ryan Miller but we are expecting him to be better than Miller which seems odd. 

Edited by LGR4GM

strange if they sign him hen leave him unprotected...great for Vegas I have to think there is more to this. Maybe Vegas agrees to take some salary (like Moulson and/or Bogo) if we sign and leave Ullmark unprotected  

Edited by Sabre fan

I just looked at capfriendly's waivers tool and Ullmark is exempt from waivers next season. The rule is 4 years or 60 games and he has only been a pro 3 years and played 21 nhl games.

Ullmark's new contract is only somewhat of a disincentive to taking him, because LV would have to pay himall 750K in the AHL. The biggest disincentive is that he isn't close to being one of the top 4 goalies available. Fleury, Grubauer, Pickard and Raanta are easily ahead of Ullmark. I might also go after Dansk to be my AHL goalie.

I just looked at capfriendly's waivers tool and Ullmark is exempt from waivers next season. The rule is 4 years or 60 games and he has only been a pro 3 years and played 21 nhl games.

Ullmark's new contract is only somewhat of a disincentive to taking him, because LV would have to pay himall 750K in the AHL. The biggest disincentive is that he isn't close to being one of the top 4 goalies available. Fleury, Grubauer, Pickard and Raanta are easily ahead of Ullmark. I might also go after Dansk to be my AHL goalie.

This is correct. It always slips my mind that a "one-way" or "two-way" contract has nothing to do with waiver eligibility. Refers to salary whether in AHL or NHL.

With Ulmark signed cheap for the next two years I propose JBott does the following with the Sabres goalie situation.

Expose Lehner in the expansion draft and protect Ullmark.

Have Vegas take Lehner to be their young proven goalie. As part of this arrangement of exposing Lehner to Vegas, Vegas would also take Fluery from Pittsburgh.  

Vegas then trades us Fluery for a second rd pick this year and next year and Matt Moulson or Tyler Ennis.

Sabres then could talk with Peterson about competing with Ullmark for the back up role to Fluery for the next two years with one of them eventually taking over the starting role. 

Sabres- Fluery- starter, Ullmark- back up

Rochester- Peterson- starter, Johansson- back up

Cincinnati- Kasdorf- starter

See Peterson thread..

Yeah, I think you're talking about the tweet that JBOT reached out to him.    

I think Petersen could be a good AHL goalie, but I just don't see anything about his game that would foresee him as an NHL starter.

Wait b4 you disappear, Victor Olofsson, he played for MODO, I think he might come over next year. Do you think he was good or did you ever notice him on the ice?

I made a post last year about Victor, you should watch that clip. 

If he does, i believe he has same skills as Reinhart.

Edit: Thing is, Victor is a sniper and has more speed than Reinhart but their playstyle is similar.

Edited by MODO Hockey

With Ulmark signed cheap for the next two years I propose JBott does the following with the Sabres goalie situation.

Expose Lehner in the expansion draft and protect Ullmark.

Have Vegas take Lehner to be their young proven goalie. As part of this arrangement of exposing Lehner to Vegas, Vegas would also take Fluery from Pittsburgh.  

Vegas then trades us Fluery for a second rd pick this year and next year and Matt Moulson or Tyler Ennis.

Sabres then could talk with Peterson about competing with Ullmark for the back up role to Fluery for the next two years with one of them eventually taking over the starting role. 

Sabres- Fluery- starter, Ullmark- back up

Rochester- Peterson- starter, Johansson- back up

Cincinnati- Kasdorf- starter

Can't see a way having Fleury makes sense for the Sabres.

I don't think it's a brilliant, mind-blowing move, but Botterill signing Ullmark now to a one-way deal is a thoughtful, no-risk disincentive to Vegas and a statement to Petersen and to Ullmark about where they fit into the team's plans.

Well-considered, and a good, easy-to-overlook early sign of the type of GM we hired.

Edited by dudacek

I don't think it's a brilliant, mind-blowing move, but Botterill signing Ullmark now to a one-way deal is a thoughtful, no-risk disincentive to Vegas and a statement to Petersen and to Ullmark about where they fit into the team's plans.

Well-considered, and a good, easy-to-overlook early sign of the type of GM we hired.

Interesting.  In what respect do you see it as a statement to Peterson?

I made a post last year about Victor, you should watch that clip.

If he does, i believe he has same skills as Reinhart.

Edit: Thing is, Victor is a sniper and has more speed than Reinhart but their playstyle is similar.

Thank you! I really want Olofsson to come over. He just looks good.

Maybe in the future, he probably needs a year in AHL first.

For sure. I wish he was coming Stateside this year but we can wait for him. I am curious to see how he handles the NA game. He could make the jump straight to the NHL. He will have roughly 4 years of pro hockey experience. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.