Rumors and Speculation Part II

Brawndo

The Fourth Period speculates that the Ducks are shopping Sami Vatanen and that the Sabres are one of the teams that has expressed interest. He is having surgery and is expected to be out 4-5 months.

Several teams have expressed interest in Vatanen in the past, including the Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Colorado Avalanche and Tampa Bay Lightning.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ana170531.html

Tanev and Boeser are probably worth Reinhart. 

Samson is nice. His value isn't what we all want it to be.

On-ice value, trade value, or both? I actually think his on-ice value is underrated by most around here, but I agree that his trade value probably isn't as high as we'd like it to be. All the more reason to not trade him.

he score goals good

he gets assists good

yeah, he produces points when he plays with the Eichel.... put just about anybody with decent hands and hockey sense with Eichel and they'll produce.     Imagine the production of somebody with his hockey sense and hands who can actually keep up with Eichel on the rush.... 

The Fourth Period speculates that the Ducks are shopping Sami Vatanen and that the Sabres are one of the teams that has expressed interest. He is having surgery and is expected to be out 4-5 months.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ana170531.html

I've soured on Vatanen after the NSH series where he was completely physically outmatched.

yeah, he produces points when he plays with the Eichel.... put just about anybody with decent hands and hockey sense with Eichel and they'll produce.     Imagine the production of somebody with his hockey sense and hands who can actually keep up with Eichel on the rush.... 

I've soured on Vatanen after the NSH series where he was completely physically outmatched.

Didn't Sam start out on a line with O'Reilly and have success? So now it's, sure, put him on a top line with Eichel or O'Reilly, and he'll produce. Well, isn't that where your top players are supposed to be.

Personally, I like Sam. I think he is a smart player and that puts him in the right place. He has above average hand-eye, so he can handle playing on a top line and do the right thing with an unexpected pass from Eichel. He is a responsible two-way player. I see him a little like Drury. You're going to point to the year Drury had 37 goals, and say NO WAY, but most of Drury's numbers were typically more around low-20's for goals.

On-ice value, trade value, or both? I actually think his on-ice value is underrated by most around here, but I agree that his trade value probably isn't as high as we'd like it to be. All the more reason to not trade him.

Trade value around the league, what I think teams would actually pay. I'm still high on Samson. I wouldn't even make the trade. I just think there's roughly equal value in that trade. 

FWIW I put the exact offer being discussed in the trade forum on hfboards: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2352627

Sabres fans are as mad as Thorny and Liger, and Canucks fans were absolutely livid as well. More of them posted. It seemed like more of the neutral guys said the trade was bad for Vancouver. 

The results tell me I think I hit the value pretty close. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

This.

Trade value around the league, what I think teams would actually pay. I'm still high on Samson. I wouldn't even make the trade. I just think there's roughly equal value in that trade. 

FWIW I put the exact offer being discussed in the trade forum on hfboards: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2352627

Sabres fans are as mad as Thorny and Liger, and Canucks fans were absolutely livid as well. More of them posted. It seemed like more of the neutral guys said the trade was bad for Vancouver. 

The results tell me I think I hit the value pretty close.

Not mad, just saw it differently.

Per LeBrun

Dallas Stars definitely listening on the No. 3 overall pick. Handful of teams have inquired already. Would have to really make sense.

Meh, I don't think the value of 3 is significantly better then 8 in this draft. Not enough to lose other pieces.

Craig Rivet suggested this so there is little merit to it, but he asked about trading the 8th pick to Dallas for 3rd Overall and the remaining year of one of their two extra goalies either Lehtonen at 5.9 or Niemi at 4.5.

I think dallas would just buy out one of those contracts then.

A lot of the fan posts you read on places like HFBoards is perception created by highlight packages and hype. I know I'm guilty of it too.

A Canuck fan friend - who knows hockey - was hyped on acquiring Drouin, but had little interest in Reinhart.

I was like "why" and he said because Reinhart hasn't done much.

He was surprised when I told him their stats and PPG were almost identical despite the fact Sam is a year younger.

Perception is that Drouin is a stud waiting to explode and Sam is a decent player who will continue to be that.

Now, perception might be right, but it's borne mostly on limited exposure to the players involved.

Edited by dudacek

I think it would be a mistake to trade Reino this early in his career, especially before we see what a good coach can do with him.

However, if the new coach delivers good overall results and feels that Reino is best used at wing, and Reino delivers another 18-25-43 season, I'd be fine with trading him if it brings back a good defenseman.

A lot of the fan posts you read on places like HFBoards is perception created by highlight packages and hype. I know I'm guilty of it too.

A Canuck fan friend - who knows hockey - was hyped on acquiring Drouin, but had little interest in Reinhart.

I was like "why" and he said because Reinhart hasn't done much.

He was surprised when I told him their stats and PPG were almost identical despite the fact Sam is a year younger.

Perception is that Drouin is a stud waiting to explode and Sam is a decent player who will continue to be that.

Now, perception might be right, but it's borne mostly on limited exposure to the players involved.

I also think the things Drouin does are more readily observable while watching a game. It's easy to notice when somebody dangles through a few defensemen, something Samson will rarely do. It's a lot harder to notice the pass that was identified and executed by being a smidge ahead of things mentally.

There's wayyyyyyy more to hockey than speed, which although not blazing fast, is not nearly the detriment it's made to be. Trading Sam is insanity. How long have we been waiting for our two franchise centers since Briere and Drury and you say you know F IT what I have 2 elite pivots so lets trade one for tanev. WTF? trading him would be a mistake, huge. He's just someone you don't trade

This isn't a rumor or speculation, but I'm watching a bunch of video I got my hands on to do something I may or may not post here, and I would trade Ristolainen for Slavin straight up in a heartbeat. I continue to think he's ALREADY a premier defenseman in the league. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

If Slavin is that good, he's going to get paid. Given where Hanifan was picked, he's going to get paid. Brett Pesce is pretty solid too.

All three are free agents next summer, as is emerging centre Elias Lindholm.

Faulk makes nearly $5 million per and is a UFA in 2020. The Canes have Bean and Fleury and McKeown in the systemand are a budget team. Something has got to give.

I'm betting Hanifan or Faulk is moved this summer. And if I had to choose, I'd say Duchene is the likely target.

If Slavin is that good, he's going to get paid. Given where Hanifan was picked, he's going to get paid. Brett Pesce is pretty solid too.

All three are free agents next summer, as is emerging centre Elias Lindholm.

Faulk makes nearly $5 million per and is a UFA in 2020. The Canes have Bean and Fleury and McKeown in the systemand are a budget team. Something has got to give.

I'm betting Hanifan or Faulk is moved this summer. And if I had to choose, I'd say Duchene is the likely target.

I know making comparisons to the new team in the finals and the new successful NHL style is so cliche, but they look an awful lot like the Nashville of a few years ago, before they really pulled things together and had a few playoff appearances. You had studs in Weber and Suter, with guys like Ellis, Josi, Ekholm growing slowly, Suter leaving. Josi emerging, and Ellis/Ekholm doing the same a couple years later. Other young studs coming behind like Seth Jones. 

Carolina doesn't have a Weber level player to start, but Faulk is very nice, and Pesce and Slavin look to be the elite guys coming up. Maybe Fleury impresses on the bottom pair and gets moved for offense down the line (Jones -> Johansen). Then Faulk gets traded for a silky smooth celebrity defenseman, they rob George McPhee for a star winger and make a cup run in 2021. 

Edit: Duh, Hanifin would be the "Jones trade". 

Edited by Randall Flagg

It's been mentioned that the main reason Botterill didn't sign Estephan is his speed. He's not quick. Now it may seem crazy to link the two situations, but someing tells me, if Botterill is looking to play a speed game, like the Pens, Reinhart may be on the way out. I think he gets traded this offseason. I think it would be a case of giving up on a talented young player with high potential much too soon. But I guess it also depends on the return.

Murray tried to mould the Sabres into the Kings, Botterill might try to mould them into the Pens. Let's hope that our roster is best maximized that way. Don't want to get into a run of trying to mould our team to a previously successful system, rather than creating a system to best suit the talent we have.

I feel like whether we keep or trade Reinhart has the potential to be quite the litmus test. Estephan isn't nearly enough to read anything into, but I am interested in what happens with Sam.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.