Head Coach Thread: What / Whom Do You Want, etc.?

Eleven

People with a sense of purpose. Makes me like them even more. Shorter plan ride. They can keep their address in Minnesota so their vote will count.

I don't know if Boughner has surpassed Housley for me, but he's moved into a 1a 1b situation. I wouldn't be upset at all if Botterill just went ahead and hired him.

He may be one of those that got an initial phone interview with a follow-up interview in Buffalo. If he were the first choice, he probably would've been hired by now. He's likely the back-up plan.

Edited by kas23

People with a sense of purpose. Makes me like them even more. Shorter plan ride. They can keep their address in Minnesota so their vote will count.

He may be one of those that got an initial phone interview with a follow-up interview in Buffalo. If he were the first choice, he probably would've been hired by now. He's likely the back-up plan.

Not necessarily. I think Botterill wants to talk to one or two guys from the teams still playing. One of them may be his top choice, or he's just doing as thorough of a job as he can.

How many SS posters are no longer interested in Housley as first choice after learning that he and his wife are Republicans?

Why should we care? He's not running for political office and his wife lives in Michigan.

It may well be unfair, but given the type of player he was, I have some concern that Boughner may be too sympathetic to the Deslauriers of the world for my liking. Maybe not players as bad as Deslauriers, but the bangers that don't do much else. Boughner says all the right things, and his work with Burns is encouraging, but it's something that'd be in the back of my head. I wouldn't have that concern with Housley.

Again, this may be wholly irrational, but he wouldn't be the first coach in history to be overly drawn to players like himself.

you for putting this fear in my head

I've been drunkenly screaming at my brother for the past 20 mins.

My bro is one of those guys that thinks NHL coaching doesn't matter at all.

I've been screaming at him about how much Bylsma sucked. He's a dummy.

He would get along great with my idiot friend then

I want someone who can run a high flying offensive attack and bring the defensemen up in the play as well, give me Sheldon Keefe, 36 years old, seems to really have the kids minds in the right places, I'd like to see this team be more innovative, give Keefe a shot.

Ya I knew almost nothing about Boughner prior to a couple of days ago.  After some research, I would be fine with him.  But please TPegs, no more 5 year deals.

Serious question:  why does this matter?  It's not like TP has been reluctant to jettison poor performers who have long-term contracts.

I think giving out fat contracts makes the Sabres a more attractive destination for top candidates.

I started as a definite no to Tocchet. Seemed like an older retread, and the gambling thing didn't help. Seemed like JAG. I have been hearing quite a few positives lately that have me warming up to the idea if JBOT goes that way. Kessel said that Tocchet was the best assistant coach he ever played for. If Tocchet can relate to a D-Bag like Kessler, and relate to Crosby and Malkin at the same time, maybe there is something to him. Not saying I want him here, but I'm more open to the idea than I was 3 weeks ago.

The players love him, but can be coach Xs, and Os? I think Housley would be the most expierenced, especially with his International success.

The players love him, but can be coach Xs, and Os? I think Housley would be the most expierenced, especially with his International success.

Not sure I'd say Housley is more experienced. Frankly I'm good if it's Tocchet but I like Boughner number one then Housley or Tocchet next of the names I've heard.

Edited by Radar

It's really hard not to equate a player's on-ice persona with his coaching acumen.

Or is there another reason why we think that Tocchet is an inferior X's and O's guy to Housley?

In terms of experience, Tocchet has seven years as an NHL assistant and two as a head coach compared to Housley's four and zero.

Neither has any significant coaching experience in the minors, juniors or college. Housley was head coach of the WJC 2013 championship team and has been an assistant with the men's national team three times. I'm not aware of any international coaching experience for Tocchet.

Both had long and ridiculously successful playing careers. Tocchet has one cup as a player and is two wins away from his second as an assistant coach. Housley is four wins away from his first.

Edited by dudacek

Serious question: why does this matter? It's not like TP has been reluctant to jettison poor performers who have long-term contracts.

I think giving out fat contracts makes the Sabres a more attractive destination for top candidates.

I realize Tpegs has not been shy to pay ppl to not work for either organization to this point. But I'm sure every man will come to a moment where enough is enough. Maybe I'm still just too use to ownership of past who either went bankrupt or were too cheap. Especially this offseason who is in the running that needs a 5 year deal vs 3 to take the job? I would be shocked if boughner, tochet or housley would need that incentive. Who are we in competition with? Florida? I would think the job should be pretty attractive on its own. Hiring someone like Babcock? Sure I give him what he wants but were talking about all unproven guys right now. I guess I'm just afraid the well will run dry one day and I don't want it to be because we gave too many poor coaches long term contracts. I'm on my phone so I apologize for the atrocious spelling in this post.

That really is a great article. Or, at least it makes me more comfortable assuming Tocchet is going to be the guy. And given his history with JBot, why wouldn't he be? We all want to assume it'll be Housley, but the only thing I can think of blocking the Tocchet hire would be the gambling thing. He's otherwise very well qualified and checks all the boxes.

I was also wondering what has been going on in the Florida search. At least it sounds like they've been turning the stones while they wait for the SC to be over. They are likely targeting Housley as well, but Housley's going to want to move to Florida. I see Buffalo or Nashville more like Minnesota than Florida.

From the article: "He’s someone that Crosby said he “show me something” in the Xs and Os department, but also give Kessel a shot of confidence at the same time. It’s time for a second chance."

I don't really understand what this means regarding Xs and Os - is it saying that Crosby was impressed by him in this department? Due to recent events I value the system the coach inputs as much as his ability to manage and bring together a team full of individuals, especially because these particular individuals seem to need to buy into the system in order to be brought together.

From the article: "He’s someone that Crosby said he “show me something” in the Xs and Os department, but also give Kessel a shot of confidence at the same time. It’s time for a second chance."[/size]

I don't really understand what this means regarding Xs and Os - is it saying that Crosby was impressed by him in this department? Due to recent events I value the system the coach inputs as much as his ability to manage and bring together a team full of individuals, especially because these particular individuals seem to need to buy into the system in order to be brought together.

I think it has two different meanings, both of which are very important, and two things you touched on. If Sidney Crosby is listening to Tocchet, one, Tocchet has some good system/hockey knowledge, and two, he can relate a message to guys that probably aren't the easiest to gain confidence from. I.e. - Sid really doesn't have to listen to anyone, at this point.

I think it means good things.

Looks at this point, it's Tocchet, Housley or Boughner that JBOT will be interviewing and having the Pegula's take a look at.  He did say he would narrow it down to 2-3.  I'm OK with all 3 and they seem to be ready for the head job (as an aside, if I walked into my bosses' office and said I'm ready for a head job, security would be called.)

It's Tocchet isn't it?  Listening on the way in it sounds like Housley is Florida's numero uno choice.  I think if he was JBott's number one choice we would have an ok shot at him.  But with the Pitt connection I think it's Tocchet.  What are our thoughts if that's the hire?  Everyone like me, which is unsure?

He made a mess in Tampa years ago, but then again Tampa was a mess when he arrived.  There's the whole gabbling ring issue.  However, there have been nothing but glowing reviews from current Penguin players including the special relationship he seems to share with Crosby.  Could that translate well to Jack's development?  I honestly don't know how I should feel about him taking over, if he takes over.

It's Tocchet isn't it?  Listening on the way in it sounds like Housley is Florida's numero uno choice.  I think if he was JBott's number one choice we would have an ok shot at him.  But with the Pitt connection I think it's Tocchet.  What are our thoughts if that's the hire?  Everyone like me, which is unsure?

He made a mess in Tampa years ago, but then again Tampa was a mess when he arrived.  There's the whole gabbling ring issue.  However, there have been nothing but glowing reviews from current Penguin players including the special relationship he seems to share with Crosby.  Could that translate well to Jack's development?  I honestly don't know how I should feel about him taking over, if he takes over.

I don't know who is better (Housley vs Tocchet) but I don't want to play second fiddle. I don't want to end up with Tocchet because Florida landed Housley. I want to know that we had the pick of the litter.

I don't know who is better (Housley vs Tocchet) but I don't want to play second fiddle. I don't want to end up with Tocchet because Florida landed Housley. I want to know that we had the pick of the litter.

The Sabres will have the pick of the litter.  They're able to outspend and it's not like the Florida job is more prestigious or anything.

I don't know that what Tocchet did was any more immoral than what the guy running the office pool does, except for richer people with much higher stakes. It was a crime because the state of New Jersey wasn't getting its take.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=2882460

It was more than a decade ago, he didn't bet on hockey, and he paid for it.

He seems to have the respect of industry; one gets a sense that the hockey community looks at him with a bit of "poor guy, coulda been me"

So, no, the gambling doesn't worry me.

What worries me is his ability to coach, which is unproven.

But Botterill knows him well and is in an excellent position to judge.

Edited by dudacek