Ville Leino Sweater depicts time in Buffalo as "Jail"

LikeEich

But he wasn't trapped. He had the financial means to easily walk away. As another poster pointed out, he could've asked for his release, had his agent seek a trade, or just dissolve his contract and walk away.

Perhaps he felt like he owed Buffalo to be better, and didn't want to give up. I know from experience one of the worst feelings in life is that you can do better, but every time you try it doesn't actually turn out any better.

First bolded. Is it really everyone's job to save the world. If he's truly struggling, he is in no position to help others.

Second. Really? You of all people I would think wouldn't have a problem with this. Free market economy, right? He found something marketable (emo angst) and is making money marketing that (while simultaneously working through some issues.) Good for him.

Of course it's not his job to save the world, and of course he is free to market his angst, just as he's free to market photos of his dog's morning bowel movements.  However, the rest of the world is also free to react negatively to his marketing efforts.

My point was simply that if he is working through his issues, a less self-absorbed way of doing so -- and thus a way that would've incurred a more positive reaction -- would've been to have done so by helping other people.  There are certainly many other methods he could've chosen that would also have been less annoying.

Given a reasonable amt of ice time--as a regular player--I believe a fat 58 yr old  bartender would have an 80 % chance of scoring a single goal in the NHL in one season.He'd have to be a tough old guy with old man strength .. There would have to be a deflection goal in there somewhere along the way.

Given a reasonable amt of ice time--as a regular player--I believe a fat 58 yr old  bartender would have an 80 % chance of scoring a single goal in the NHL in one season.He'd have to be a tough old guy with old man strength .. There would have to be a deflection goal in there somewhere along the way.

There are (or at least used to be) several guys in the NHL that didn't score goals over the course of the season, guys like old-school stay at home D and 4th line enforcers. I won't say Mr. 58 wouldn't score, but guys that are only a few steps from top of the world aren't doing it, I don't have a lot of hope for him.

I ran the numbers quickly; there are 11 guys that played 41 or more games this year that didn't score a goal. Buffalo-related names are Nicky D-Lo, Derek Grant, Justin Falk, and Zadorov. 9 of the 11 played more than 9 minutes/game, and 6 played more than 13 minutes/game. There are another 24 guys that scored one.

Perhaps he felt like he owed Buffalo to be better, and didn't want to give up. I know from experience one of the worst feelings in life is that you can do better, but every time you try it doesn't actually turn out any better.

No doubt. His "jail" could've been guilt. I think the is the Buffalo Inferiority Complex rearing its ugly head. In the end, I doubt his sense of "jail" had anything to do with the city or the franchise, but more to do with the situation.

No doubt. His "jail" could've been guilt. I think the is the Buffalo Inferiority Complex rearing its ugly head. In the end, I doubt his sense of "jail" had anything to do with the city or the franchise, but more to do with the situation.

May subconsciously he knows he belongs in jail for the robbery he committed.

Edited by Drunkard

It must be too long since I left Buffalo, the idea that it was Buffalo-specific didn't even occur to me. I took it entirely as being trapped in a jail of his own failure to meet expectations and issues dealing with that failure.

It must be too long since I left Buffalo, the idea that it was Buffalo-specific didn't even occur to me. I took it entirely as being trapped in a jail of his own failure to meet expectations and issues dealing with that failure.

That is how I took it as well.

poor body language.

Exactly!! Not once did he look at all interested to be playing hockey for the Sabres. He looked like a guy playing for a big paycheck. Ryan Fitzpatrick got a huge contract from the Bills, and although he sucked, he gave 110% every Sunday. I can respect that. Ville looked to be going through the motions since day one in Buffalo. Was is mental? Who knows, but to call out the Sabres as the reason is just lame.

Exactly!! Not once did he look at all interested to be playing hockey for the Sabres. He looked like a guy playing for a big paycheck. Ryan Fitzpatrick got a huge contract from the Bills, and although he sucked, he gave 110% every Sunday. I can respect that. Ville looked to be going through the motions since day one in Buffalo. Was is mental? Who knows, but to call out the Sabres as the reason is just lame.

I still don't read "It wasn't working with me and the team" as calling the team out.

Also, the idea that a 6 year $27M contract ($4.5M/yr) was a big ticket item seems so quaint now. :)

Or even better, put his nose to the grindstone, reinvent his game with effort and hard work and make his contract somewhat tolerable. Instead, he Lally gagged his way through years of whining, extremely questionable effort and poor body language.

I like this comment...just focusing on the performance on the ice. Leino was clearly drifting, not working hard to get out of this slump. 

Contrast that with say, Matt Moulson. Now, MattyMo didn't entirely forget how to score but it got pretty bad. I think he doubled down on training and effort and at least made the most of what he's got left. He's still not great by any means, but he saved himself from being binned with the likes of Leino the Lame. 

Leino should have gone to Gary Roberts. Sure worked for Hodgson.

Yeah, but when is he going to generate some art to share with the world? 

Guy's a chronic underperformer even among the underperformers. 

I do love me a good rant - especially a pithy one. This is aces.

Great sentiment.

I think many here are suggesting it.

Oh, for sure. The jabs are being taken. And some of them are pretty good ones.

The clickbait headline, or whatever, "Ville makes hoodie that says his time in Buffalo was like jail" is misleading. When you read his little blurb on why he created that (awful) art, you get a much different vibe off it.

I don't bear any ill will for Ville. We went around and around on this in another thread, after his feature on Beyond Blue and Gold. There was that part of the interview where he seemed to suggest that his mom would basically tear him away from his piano practice to go play hockey. You got the feeling that, while he was really effing good at hockey, he never really loved playing, and he came to feel pretty indifferently toward having a career in it (feelings that would become positive when things were going well (Philly) and negative when they were not (Buffalo)).

I wouldn't say clickbait? I mean sure it's generated some discussing but the idea was to raise mental health awareness haha jk. While i do think mental health is an issue, like many here have said, put your nose to the grindstone and earn as much of that money as you can! Hurting? Pop a few percs and go sore some goals. Percs can solve anything haha