Ville Leino Sweater depicts time in Buffalo as "Jail"

LikeEich

I would love to read this thread if Ville was snubbing his nose at us saying,"Ya know what, I worked my ass of to make it to the NHL, but sorry/not sorry it didn't work out Buffalo, cuz I GOTS PAID, B!TCHES!!!"

The guy actually feels bad about failing to bring a little more meaning to our miserable lives and ya'll roast him.

I would love to read this thread if Ville was snubbing his nose at us saying,"Ya know what, I worked my ass of to make it to the NHL, but sorry/not sorry it didn't work out Buffalo, cuz I GOTS PAID, B!TCHES!!!"

The guy actually feels bad about failing to bring a little more meaning to our miserable lives and ya'll roast him.

I would actually find the above attitude to be less insufferable were he to deploy it, in all honesty. Because, you know, honesty.

Do you actually know how he feels? Maybe he's just trying to squeeze a little extra profit out of a situation he found , while publicly crapping on an entire city through his art.

I'd rather a guy say "I GOTS PAID!", at least we'd know he's definitely not full of shite.

Thats kind of what I took away from it as well. Things didn't work out for him. He's allowed to express it. Doesn't hurt my feelings in any way. 

If he feels bad he didn't contribute he could always come back and donate his time and money to charity. That would be appreciated more than whatever that was.

Thats kind of what I took away from it as well. Things didn't work out for him. He's allowed to express it. Doesn't hurt my feelings in any way.

But it's only truly an expression of inner-most angst if he's able to make a buck off it, right?

Do you actually know how he feels? Maybe he's just trying to squeeze a little extra profit out of a situation he found ######, while publicly crapping on an entire city through his art.

I'd rather a guy say "I GOTS PAID!", at least we'd know he's definitely not full of shite.

I don't, but apparently you do.

Why not ? Last I heard Finland embraces capitalism.

I'm not against his right to do this at all.

I just think he's probably a d-bag.

I don't, but apparently you do.

"I GOTS PAID!" has the ring of honest truth, amirite?

Edited by Thorny

Maybe, but you and everyone else saying you would prefer that absolutely does not.

So now you know what I'm thinking? ;)

Maybe you are right and I'd feel the opposite if it was the other way around. I can't know for sure I suppose. I'm never going to meet him and my opinion on his personality in the end is irrelevant.

He just rubs me the wrong way, I guess.

Edit: Maybe it's because he never responded to the thousands of fan letters I sent him.

Edited by Thorny

So now you know what I'm thinking? ;)

Maybe you are right and I'd feel the opposite if it was the other way around. I can't know for sure I suppose. I'm never going to meet him and my opinion on his personality in the end is irrelevant.

He just rubs me the wrong way, I guess.

Edit: Maybe it's because he never responded to the thousands of fan letters I sent him.

:lol:

I feel bad for Ville about how his time with the Sabres turned out. The dude got SO much hate for sucking at his job, it's not like he wanted to suck. Every single Darcy failure from 2007 on, the players took the most heat for it. Sports is a business, it's entertainment, so fans are entitled to feel how they want to about players.

But I've never felt good about having a whipping boy on the sabres in retrospect. I grew to hate Derek Roy and then Tim Conolly. Even though their initially sucessful careers were cut short by the brutality of the NHL, I hated them because Darcy built a team and didn't do anything to change it.

I remember being so sick of all the Ville hate. It was like every game people were seeing him suck for the first time.

His art is hilarious because it's so bad, but I still empathize with his pain. I'm glad he's looking for ways to express himself artistically. I feel like so many career hockey players never have the chance to truly develop any passions away from the ice.

Is anyone arguing this?

It really is amazing how out of touch people can be. A millionaire seeking sympathy for underperformance from blue collar people. Yikes.

Life is ###### hard. I make good money which equates to a decent life. I'm one lucky chump. I grew up in border town Quebec/Akwesasne/Adirondacks. I've seen the very poor of the poor. My Dad was tops on the list for the DEC to contact for unwanted roadkill. Anyone that fails to delight in their great fortune to be wealthy can go lick a stick. They can also go ###### themselves.

What a tool.

Almost every post in this thread takes jabs at the guy. I don't understand it.

I can't speak for others, but I called him a tool because there's something about profiting off this particular piece of art that irks me. As I've said, I'm all for his right to do so.

Again, from the admittedly little I've seen of him, he's just not my favourite chap. Nothing more to see here.

I called him a tool. I didn't advocate force-feeding him the experimental gum.

Edited by Thorny

But I've never felt good about having a whipping boy on the sabres in retrospect. I grew to hate Derek Roy and then Tim Conolly. Even though their initially sucessful careers were cut short by the brutality of the NHL, I hated them because Darcy built a ###### team and didn't do anything to change it.

I always hated the hate for Tim Connolly. That guy was so freaking good at hockey. He was hated because he was "soft" and couldn't stay healthy. Man, that guy could handle the puck.

Oh, and Derek Roy was also under appreciated for being a massive bro. Another damn good hockey player.

Leino sucked by comparison. Good in the playoffs. Awful for us. Remains the reason for the only time my mother has ever heard me swear.

He was paid to do a job, he underperformed. This is not the first time he has complained about it. https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ville-leino-does-not-remember-buffalo-fondly-135215250.html

He comes across like a victim rather than taking responsibility. When people of modest means pay significant money to see their team, it stings when someone like Leino blames everyone but himself. I called him a poor baby, not very edifying I admit. It's hard not to feel that way though.

As far as one poster saying he can go to he** etc, that is over the top imo.

There's no rule against feeling trapped and depressed no matter how "good" your situation is.

I must admit, after reading your comment I now feel convicted by my own covetousnes. You are correct in that there are no guidelines or prerequisites to depression or any other type of mental illness, and for that I do now feel bad for judging him.

Afterall, this is probably how people in third world countries feel when they see us complaining about anything.

I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. The guy still annoys me though.

I totally get the "I'm trapped but I'm making money so I should be grateful" feeling. Not with millions of dollars, or with the entire subculture of my profession laughing at me, but... 

This just smacks of immaturity to me.

And I don't dig the art. Basquiat you're not. Personal preference. 

Doing the painting is one thing. Cool. Purge your feelings. I fully support that. I don't know his struggles. Lord knows I've painted about way more childish things. Selling said painting, or a series of paintings in that vein, sure. But making it into "mass" (i know it's small batch) produced apparel for others to wear? Don't cut yourself on all that edge, Ville. It's angsty stuff like this that gives artists a bad name. 

But, who am I to say. The second something is called art, it's subjective, and this isn't a class nor am I his professor.

This

Some of the best art is born of agnst...  and I am fine with Ville's frustration... not impressed by his art work imo... that being said, his effort with the Buffalo Sabres was pitiful and that is why he became a whipping boy.  He was an enigma, he came over from Philly with what were suppose to be a good set of hands yet he showed little of that and little hustle otherwise, he sulked and seems like he still is.  He and Erhoff were part of the reason why the Sabres never made the next step... Erhoff at least tried, both were brought in with promise but they Euro'd it when things didn't go their way... booo hooo.  Ville can take his hood and nu on it.