Ville Leino Sweater depicts time in Buffalo as "Jail"

LikeEich

Some of the best art is born of agnst...  and I am fine with Ville's frustration... not impressed by his art work imo... that being said, his effort with the Buffalo Sabres was pitiful and that is why he became a whipping boy.  He was an enigma, he came over from Philly with what were suppose to be a good set of hands yet he showed little of that and little hustle otherwise, he sulked and seems like he still is.  He and Erhoff were part of the reason why the Sabres never made the next step... Erhoff at least tried, both were brought in with promise but they Euro'd it when things didn't go their way... booo hooo.  Ville can take his hood and nu on it. 

Leino was over hyped by many.  NHL analysts had Leino as one of the top 5 free agents available in the 2011 offseason.  Sabres needed a center, yes, I know his position played in the NHL was on the wing, and Darcy felt Leino would play well as a center.  He had success at that position in Finland.  We all know Leino turned out to be a complete bust.  He couldn't handle all of the expectations.  That or he simply didn't have the talent many thought he had.  

Edited by GoPre

Life is ###### hard. I make good money which equates to a decent life. I'm one lucky chump. I grew up in border town Quebec/Akwesasne/Adirondacks. I've seen the very poor of the poor. My Dad was tops on the list for the DEC to contact for unwanted roadkill. Anyone that fails to delight in their great fortune to be wealthy can go lick a stick. They can also go ###### themselves.

I do love me a good rant - especially a pithy one. This is aces.

There's no rule against feeling trapped and depressed no matter how "good" your situation is.

Great sentiment.

Is anyone arguing this?

I think many here are suggesting it.

Almost every post in this thread takes jabs at the guy. 

Oh, for sure. The jabs are being taken. And some of them are pretty good ones.

The clickbait headline, or whatever, "Ville makes hoodie that says his time in Buffalo was like jail" is misleading. When you read his little blurb on why he created that (awful) art, you get a much different vibe off it.

I don't bear any ill will for Ville. We went around and around on this in another thread, after his feature on Beyond Blue and Gold. There was that part of the interview where he seemed to suggest that his mom would basically tear him away from his piano practice to go play hockey. You got the feeling that, while he was really effing good at hockey, he never really loved playing, and he came to feel pretty indifferently toward having a career in it (feelings that would become positive when things were going well (Philly) and negative when they were not (Buffalo)).

Is anyone arguing this?

I'll carry that flag. Ville gets no sympathy from me. Dude mailed it in and played his way right out of the league. He should have done us all a favor and just retired from the NHL if he felt so bad about making all that money. 

Ohhhh wait. He didn't feel bad at all. And now he's turning those crocodile tears into profit. 

What a tool. 

I am. Being miserable at work is being miserable at work, no matter how much you're getting paid. I don't wish that on anyone.

I think his artwork shows that he was incredibly depressed and may still be.

I think his artwork shows that he was incredibly depressed and may still be.

I'm not buying. That's not the artwork of a depressed person. That's the art work of that person you know who always talks about how depressed they are and uses it as an excuse. 

I'm not buying. That's not the artwork of a depressed person. That's the art work of that person you know who always talks about how depressed they are and uses it as an excuse. 

This is the same guy who said he wanted to play piano but he was forced to practice his hockey first.

This is the same guy who said he wanted to play piano but he was forced to practice his hockey first.

So? He's an adult now. He's got a boatload of money. Quit hockey, go see a shrink, play piano until your fingers fall off. 

All I see is a guy looking for ways to excuse the fact that he's a bum. 

So? He's an adult now. He's got a boatload of money. Quit hockey, go see a shrink, play piano until your fingers fall off. 

Sheesh. With this attitude, it's only a matter of time before I see you selling a line of Emo shirts.

Scroll down, it shows a link to a related article............... 'all 10 of Ville Leino's goals as a Buffalo Sabre'............... LOL!!

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/521909-all-10-of-ville-leino-s-goals-as-a-buffalo-sabre

He actually scored 10 goals with the Sabres?

I'm gonna design a hoodie with a garbage can overflowing with money on the front and his name and number on the back. I'm gonna call it "waste"

That's the art work of that person you know who always talks about how depressed they are and uses it as an excuse. 

Haha - an emo type, eh?

He actually scored 10 goals with the Sabres?

I'm gonna design a hoodie with a garbage can overflowing with money on the front and his name and number on the back. I'm gonna call it "waste"

I'd love it even more if you could somehow work in a visual reference to the 10 goals.

LMAO

he wasn't even looking for sympathy he simply stated where the idea for his design came from. Lets face the facts even the fans felt like they were in jail watching the crap  they put on the ice as a whole during that period and still are. Do some of you just always look for a skewer in life, maybe step back and look at it from a different perspective.  You all cant aspire to be Jerry Sullivans and Bucky Gleasons, or do you ?

and art is interpretive he'll sell a bunch because lots of people like that style

and what does money have to do with anything. People with money have the similar struggles in their lives and have ot cope and money doesn't make things easier it just brings on new stresses and new issues to deal with.

its sad how low some Buffalonian sports fans have fallen. Been a rough run but there is very little class being shown anymore. But few of you like to pretend a mole hill is a mountain

Edited by ddaryl

I don't know how he can think about his Buffalo playing days getting all those BJ's from supermodels in his multi-million dollar mansion. Edited by inkman

I'd expect that everyone here has had to eat a poop sandwich from time to time at work.  That's life.

I'd also expect that no one here has gotten paid over $25MM to play a game for a living.  That's a freaking miracle. 

So, when those 2 worlds collided for him, if Ville wanted my advice on what to do, I would've told him to voice any complaints/angst he had very quietly and only to wife/inner circle, and always qualified by "I know how lucky I am, but..."

Or, if he really had/has depression (and I think 11 could certainly be right about that), then tell the world, but do so in the context of trying to help others deal with their depression/other mental health issues.  That would take some guts and be admirable, or at least reasonably OK.

Doing what he did -- i.e. telling the world how tough it was for him in connection with selling his artwork online -- makes him look like a self-absorbed DB, IMHO. 

LMAO

he wasn't even looking for sympathy he simply stated where the idea for his design came from. Lets face the facts even the fans felt like they were in jail watching the crap  they put on the ice as a whole during that period and still are. Do some of you just always look for a skewer in life, maybe step back and look at it from a different perspective.  You all cant aspire to be Jerry Sullivans and Bucky Gleasons, or do you ?

and art is interpretive he'll sell a bunch because lots of people like that style

and what does money have to do with anything. People with money have the similar struggles in their lives and have ot cope and money doesn't make things easier it just brings on new stresses and new issues to deal with.

its sad how low some Buffalonian sports fans have fallen. Been a rough run but there is very little class being shown anymore. But few of you like to pretend a mole hill is a mountain

Isn't making a mountain out of a mole hill exactly what Leino is doing though? Comparing failing to meet performance expectations and being booed for it to being in jail seems like the exact same thing you are accusing others of.

LMAO

Good post.

I'd expect that everyone here has had to eat a poop sandwich from time to time at work.  That's life.

I'd also expect that no one here has gotten paid over $25MM to play a game for a living.  That's a freaking miracle. 

So, when those 2 worlds collided for him, if Ville wanted my advice on what to do, I would've told him to voice any complaints/angst he had very quietly and only to wife/inner circle, and always qualified by "I know how lucky I am, but..."

1 Or, if he really had/has depression (and I think 11 could certainly be right about that), then tell the world, but do so in the context of trying to help others deal with their depression/other mental health issues.  That would take some guts and be admirable, or at least reasonably OK.

2 Doing what he did -- i.e. telling the world how tough it was for him in connection with selling his artwork online -- makes him look like a self-absorbed DB, IMHO. 

First bolded. Is it really everyone's job to save the world. If he's truly struggling, he is in no position to help others.

Second. Really? You of all people I would think wouldn't have a problem with this. Free market economy, right? He found something marketable (emo angst) and is making money marketing that (while simultaneously working through some issues.) Good for him.

Edited by SwampD

There's no rule against feeling trapped and depressed no matter how "good" your situation is.

But he wasn't trapped. He had the financial means to easily walk away. As another poster pointed out, he could've asked for his release, had his agent seek a trade, or just dissolve his contract and walk away.

But he wasn't trapped. He had the financial means to easily walk away. As another poster pointed out, he could've asked for his release, had his agent seek a trade, or just dissolve his contract and walk away.

Or even better, put his nose to the grindstone, reinvent his game with effort and hard work and make his contract somewhat tolerable. Instead, he Lally gagged his way through years of whining, extremely questionable effort and poor body language.