The Band Crap Thread

LGR4GM

So here is a question. Of one needs to dig to find new good music. Where do you all go to find it? Any playlists or stations from online sites/apps? I get new music slowly from radio stations like alt buffalo. They seem to go beyond top 40 and play less known songs and of course have some Sunday evening programming targeting new and or local

I had good luck following about 8-12 good music blogs on Twitter, and clicking through on any reviews that seemed intriguing.

In re: new music as well as guilty pleasures, I stumbled across these ladies recently on Spotify and I dig their sound.

I've found that rock with female vocals is my best working music. I throw on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs Pandora station and just go. Santigold, MIA, Phantogram, Portishead and on and on. It's also lead me to a lot of good new music.

I don't like rap and twangy country.

The rest of the music spectrum has a time and place to be listened to that makes it enjoyable. I enjoy the rest of the music spectrum. Including the *big bands* such as Glen Miller.

Love some good adrenalin pumping metal to get ready for a race .

Sitting around a camp fire listening to some Johnny Cash and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

There's always a right time and place for it all. No band is complete trash, and none are the best ever to me.

Edited by Woods-Racer

My first thought to this was...

So we've is roadie looking creepy?

Would have never guessed

LOL  I think I probably look more like venue management.  Very short hair (or what's left of it anyway), probably wearing a polo shirt., dad shorts at Summer shows.  My wife says I look like a retired cop, so probably not roadie.

In re: new music as well as guilty pleasures, I stumbled across these ladies recently on Spotify and I dig their sound.

I've found that rock with female vocals is my best working music. I throw on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs Pandora station and just go. Santigold, MIA, Phantogram, Portishead and on and on. It's also lead me to a lot of good new music.

Thanks for sharing that! If I could buy stock in The Regrettes, I would do so. Love the name too. 

But they need a chick drummer too. Just to complete the overall effect. 

Edited by Sakman

Not a big fan of the guitar work from Avenged Sevenfold.  Their guitar work reminds me of how Zach Wylde plays.  Hard to find the words to describe what I dislike.  For lack of better descriptions... it lacks subtlety and artistry.  Everything is over the top.  I've described it in the past as guitar ######. 

Edit- Welp, I wondered if that would get past the filters.  Think choking your chicken.

Having kids helps.

If there is something you like that is on the radio, plug it in to Pandora, or Spotifiy, and the app will find similar music.  College radio stations are another place to find new music.  The DJ's rotate through and any time of day the genre and playlist can change.  Heck, even youtube is a source.  Watch videos you like and the suggested videos on the right side will adapt as you select other videos.  Next thing you know, you've spent a couple hours down in the rabbit hole. 

And for those within listening distance, the radio stations out of Fort Erie and Niagara Falls, Ont provide alternatives with different playlists than the stations out of Buffalo.

Check this vid out, it will restore your faith in metal guitarists.

Fuel for the Prince-Jimi debate.  If he isn't up there, he is stupid close.

One of the best guitar solos ever.  Watch these hall of famers step aside and give him deference.

If we're having a guitar shredder draft, and Prince goes #1 overall, there shouldn't be a raised eye in the joint.

I don't think Prince even makes my top ten. He always just sounds like he's pulling from a bag of tricks.

I don't think Prince even makes my top ten. He always just sounds like he's pulling from a bag of tricks.

Interesting.  When he does go off on his guitar I always get the same vibe that I got from Jimi Hendricks.  When I think of bag of tricks I think of guys who were more technicians than artists.  To me, Clapton represents a guy who is a top level technician with a guitar but didn't have the artistry. 

Duane Allman and I beg to differ

I love Duane Allman...have to say though Derek Trucks has sort of surpassed him in terms of breadth and depth...Duane just didn't live long enough to fulfill that destiny.  Granted, Derek tread on the path Duane paved, so there is that. He's just gone down new paths as well. 

No one has mentioned Derek Trucks yet (I think) so I'll throw it out there;  is there a better blues/rock guitarist touring today? I don't know all the guitarists on Earth so maybe there is, I just haven't seen it yet. 

Check out at the 3:20 mark...gets a nice compliment later from a pretty good player, BB King. John Mayer watches on in amazement. 

Edited by Sakman

i think I mentioned up somewhere, but AGSFB and Asteroids Galaxy Tour should be something you check out. Perhaps the Ting Tings too, but only if you like some of the Debbie Harry Blondie "rap" songs, with more yelling.

Edited by MattPie

Pretty sad that my fellow expert hockey fans are limited in their musical tastes.

I'm not sure what you mean, I've gotten a bunch of leads from this place over the years; sure, there's lots of classic rock talk but there's a bunch of gems too. It's a parallel to the discussion just above where there is a *ton* of great music being made right now, and often a couple clicks away. You have to wade through butt rock chat and NS's ridiculous takes to find the diamonds in the rough. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.