The Band Crap Thread

LGR4GM

What is everyone's guilty pleasure group? I <3 Coldplay. Haha.

These days it's generally whatever "Today's Pop Hits" that's on because my wife and daughter are dancing in the living room. I enjoy it enough that I don't always turn it off when they go somewhere. I don't really have a single bubblegum guilty pleasure band, unless you want to count All-Girl Summer Fun Band; #AGSFB rocks!

Current song: Coldcut's Atomic Moog 2000 (Post Nuclear Afterlife Lounge Mix); something about that little bell melody that winds it's way through this song in it's many remixes just speaks to me.

Edited by MattPie

Someone asked up thread what the best who album was, Who's Next.

In regards to Coldplay...don't hate em, just don't like em. The hottest girl on my floor freshman year loved Coldplay, so naturally I downloaded their entire catalog. Listened to it, didn't like it and decided that she wasn't hot enough for me to have to listen to that 24/7.

Guilty pleasures? No guilt here. There's absolutely no shame in my game. Was in a band once that would go from AIC-Man in the Box right into Regulate by Warren G and Nate Dogg.

Edited to add: Doo-! Way, way underrated as a musical genre.

Seriously, w-o-p is censored?

Edited by ubkev

Guilty pleasures? No guilt here. There's absolutely no shame in my game.

Exactly. Shuffling from Katy Perry to Tony Bennett to a Simpsons sound clip to Wesley Willis and then an opera track. It's all par for the course with these magical iPod devices and weeks' worth of storage.

Naturally, my pleasure is John Williams. And my guilt is Fannypack.

Exactly. Shuffling from Katy Perry to Tony Bennett to a Simpsons sound clip to Wesley Willis and then an opera track. It's all par for the course with these magical iPod devices and weeks' worth of storage.

Naturally, my pleasure is John Williams. And my guilt is Fannypack.

YESSSSS

Two words ... 

Duane Allman 

Love Duane Allman. In the historical context of his greatness we can only wonder where he would have gone had he lived longer. It's possible drugs would have gotten him sooner rather than later but I still think he had some development as an artist coming. He was only 24 when he died. 

Asia! Saw the original line-up in Buffalo in 1984, then again in Tokyo in 2013. 

Just enough of the Howe & Palmer musicianship, great John Wetton (RIP) singing, and catchy song writing.

The Who and The Doors were my favorite bands for yeeaaarrrsss. 

Talk about a band that often inspires love or hate. (I'm in the latter category.)

Gotta be Ariana Grande for me. The range. The sugary productions. The thinly veiled f-you attitude. That one song where it sounds like she sings "I know I shouldn't have farted." It all works for me.

Also, someone mentioned Katy Perry upthread. I'm a recovering music snob who - in the right situation - still gets chills from the acrobatics of Firework.

Asia! Saw the original line-up in Buffalo in 1984, then again in Tokyo in 2013. 

Just enough of the Howe & Palmer musicianship, great John Wetton (RIP) singing, and catchy song writing.

That's no guilty pleasure. That band rawked.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Fall Out Boy. Under the Cork Tree is a top 10 album

Someone asked up thread what the best who album was, Who's Next.

In regards to Coldplay...don't hate em, just don't like em. The hottest girl on my floor freshman year loved Coldplay, so naturally I downloaded their entire catalog. Listened to it, didn't like it and decided that she wasn't hot enough for me to have to listen to that 24/7.

Guilty pleasures? No guilt here. There's absolutely no shame in my game. Was in a band once that would go from AIC-Man in the Box right into Regulate by Warren G and Nate Dogg.

Edited to add: Doo-######! Way, way underrated as a musical genre.

Seriously, w-o-p is censored?

I like your style

Great question. I have two. Green Day and Metric.

I can't count Margaret Far cuz she's my wife and no way I'm feeling guilty about that. https://open.spotify.com/album/4b9uNVAoxf8Th5SJ7dJGdb

I may feel a little guilty about a shameless plug, though.

Green Day is a great band. Warning and Dookie are some seriously underrated albums

WildCard - had a long time girlfriend who loooovvvvved fall out boy. I had to take her to see them and All American Rejects at HSBC in around 2006ish. Didn't hate it. I very recently listened to Under the Cork Tree again. It's pretty good. Catchy hooks. Good choruses. Solid pop album.

My favorite Who album is actually Live at Leeds. Them giggling through a rendition of A Quick One While He's Away is just so so good.

Who's Next is great (even if many of those songs have been overplayed to where I have had to avoid them for awhile), Tommy's great, Quadrophenia wasn't my absolute fav but I still enjoy it. 

The Who and The Doors were my favorite bands for yeeaaarrrsss. 

l like your take on Who's Next, couldn't agree more but then when I go back to it after awhile, I remember why it was so good. Keith Moon greatest drummer ever. They were amazing live. The Doors are also on this list of great bands that I need to take a break from occasionally to like them again.

This isn't for you Josie......

Don't like the Beatles..... ok

Don't listen to the Beatles....... ok

Beatles are a BOYS BAND.............. OMFG are you insane, do you have no shame trolling like this???

SRV is my favorite guitarist (died way too soon) followed closely by Eric Clapton

I like the occasional Pink Floyd but 10-15 minutes at a time, 2 albums back to back I go to OVERRATED.

Metal??? I'd rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard.

Van Morrison, the most underrated artist of all time.

Talk about a band that often inspires love or hate. (I'm in the latter category.)

Yeah, it's ok. I actually realllllly dislike some of their stuff (not a fan of Light My Fire. Really. Meh). Nowadays I have to be in the right mood/place to really enjoy them. Buut in high school I was so madly in love with Jim Morrison and his moody broody poetry (some of it is actually pretty good, I swear, dude was smart but effing nuts). I also loved Ray Manzarek and John Densmore. I mean, all the other girls my age were after the emo bands, I wanted a time machine to f*ck Morrison. And Hendrix. And George Harrison. Mm. They were some fiiiine men. 

Ooooh. Good call.

WildCard - had a long time girlfriend who loooovvvvved fall out boy. I had to take her to see them and All American Rejects at HSBC in around 2006ish. Didn't hate it. I very recently listened to Under the Cork Tree again. It's pretty good. Catchy hooks. Good choruses. Solid pop album.

Seriously underrated band. Just like with Green Day, that got a bad label because of their fans, and people just like to rag on them for it.

l like your take on Who's Next, couldn't agree more but then when I go back to it after awhile, I remember why it was so good. Keith Moon greatest drummer ever. They were amazing live. The Doors are also on this list of great bands that I need to take a break from occasionally to like them again.

Beatles are a BOYS BAND.............. OMFG are you insane, do you have no shame trolling like this???

SRV is my favorite guitarist (died way too soon) followed closely by Eric Clapton

I like the occasional Pink Floyd but 10-15 minutes at a time, 2 albums back to back I go to OVERRATED.

But...the Beatles ARE a boy band  :nana:

There's no denying the Beatles influence, variety, and status. But, they were a boy band first and foremost, at least to start. They were the original boy band actually

Yeah, can't stand the Doors

God, I was so in love with Keith Moon. What a character. Effing sad way to go, man. So much talent. 

Neither here nor there, but I bust out laughing every time I hear that car commercial (is it GM?) playing Eminence Front.

Literally, singing about putting on a glitzy shell to be looked up to, corrupt, after doing too much coke.... oh god, the irony. 

And how has no one mentioned Bowie yet.

I discovered him late. Embarrassingly late. How does anyone feel about his final album?

Gives me chills. I listened to it on repeat for hours one night as I painted a portrait of him. What a loss. 

And how has no one mentioned Bowie yet.

I discovered him late. Embarrassingly late. How does anyone feel about his final album?

Gives me chills. I listened to it on repeat for hours one night as I painted a portrait of him. What a loss. 

He was either awesome or terrible to me.

One of the best Live shows I've seen after Lets Dance album AND

One of the worst and most disappointing shows I've ever seen (was on stage for maybe 30-40 minutes, fans boo'd him for almost as long as he was on stage) and that includes a drunken mess Joe Cocker show I seen around 72'-73'

There's no denying the Beatles influence, variety, and status. But, they were a boy band first and foremost, at least to start. They were the original boy band actually

Now I understand all the IGNORE comments made to you........  :w00t:

God, I was so in love with Keith Moon. What a character. Effing sad way to go, man. So much talent. 

Neither here nor there, but I bust out laughing every time I hear that car commercial (is it GM?) playing Eminence Front.

Literally, singing about putting on a glitzy shell to be looked up to, corrupt, after doing too much coke.... oh god, the irony. And how has no one mentioned Bowie yet.

Yeh Bowie and Queen... no mention of them... over the top but amazing showmen.

He was either awesome or terrible to me.

One of the best Live shows I've seen after Lets Dance album AND

One of the worst and most disappointing shows I've ever seen (was on stage for maybe 30-40 minutes, fans boo'd him for almost as long as he was on stage) and that includes a drunken mess Joe Cocker show I seen around 72'-73'

Now I understand all the IGNORE comments made to you........  :w00t:

Wow, that sucks on both counts. 

Yeh Bowie and Queen... no mention of them... over the top but amazing showmen.

I have nothing negative to say about Queen, and I never will. That was an incredible band. (I know they're still together but true Queen to me has Freddie). Queen Greatest Hits was my family's summer roadtrip album. I grew up on that, singing along to songs I barely understood the meaning of. 

Well, that and classic and 90s country music. Dare I mention the C word in here? I'm not talking about the twangy blue jeans macho b.s. you hear on the radio today, I mean the wholly depressing life stories of people who live in the country. Reba McEntire singing about being sold away from her depression era mama to make ends meet as a prostitute, or getting AIDs from a one night stand. Patsy Cline. Merle Haggard. Dolly Parton. George Strait. Ok, I'll shut up now. 

Yeah, it's ok. I actually realllllly dislike some of their stuff (not a fan of Light My Fire. Really. Meh). Nowadays I have to be in the right mood/place to really enjoy them. Buut in high school I was so madly in love with Jim Morrison and his moody broody poetry (some of it is actually pretty good, I swear, dude was smart but effing nuts). I also loved Ray Manzarek and John Densmore. I mean, all the other girls my age were after the emo bands, I wanted a time machine to f*ck Morrison. And Hendrix. And George Harrison. Mm. They were some fiiiine men. 

prc.gif

They were the original boy band actually

I will fight you.

I can stomach older outlaw country, and even enjoy it in the right setting/ mood, but that is as close to accepting country music as I get.

Except for Hank III. I dig that dudes twangy, nasally tales of drunken, drugged excess and misspent time. Alot.

I can stomach older outlaw country, and even enjoy it in the right setting/ mood, but that is as close to accepting country music as I get.

Except for Hank III. I dig that dudes twangy, nasally tales of drunken, drugged excess and misspent time. Alot.

Check out Wheeler Walker Jr...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.