2016-2017 - Special for me

Sabre1974

Hi folks,

New member to this forum, would just like to say hi.

I am for the UK and have followed the Sabres for 22 years, the reason i chose the title was because i attended my first ever sabres game when we played New Jersey on 4th February - very special night for me to finally see the team . The closest i came to this before was seeing Thomas Vanek play for Austria at the 2008 IIHF worlds.

Great to read some of the comments and differing opinions on here, i am back in the states in october when i head to Florida, praying that we are playing tampa during that time :)

My wife just shakes her head at my sabres obsession but i cant help it.

Hi folks,

New member to this forum, would just like to say hi.

I am for the UK and have followed the Sabres for 22 years, the reason i chose the title was because i attended my first ever sabres game when we played New Jersey on 4th February - very special night for me to finally see the team . The closest i came to this before was seeing Thomas Vanek play for Austria at the 2008 IIHF worlds.

Great to read some of the comments and differing opinions on here, i am back in the states in october when i head to Florida, praying that we are playing tampa during that time :)

My wife just shakes her head at my sabres obsession but i cant help it.

Nice, always good to see another euro fan in here.   One more to keep me company at night during games :D

How in the heck did you become a Sabres fan?

My hometown team (Fife Flyers - EIite Ice Hockey League) play in the same colours as Buffalo - or did back in 1995. Started getting into the NHL the year before when the Rangers won the cup and wondered which team I was going to support, when I saw the Sabres played in the same colours that was it - mind made up, simple :). Even though we changed to the colours and logo shortly after that didn't change my mind.

Many years later and lost count of the amount of money spent on sabres merchandise still love following this team

Oh and for my sins my NFL team is the Indianapolis Colts whom I saw last year also for the first time - supporting two buffalo teams would be too much :)

Looking forward to the season ahead - have to admit was disappointed to see Tim Murray let go but not Blysma. Lost count of the amount of mornings after games when I was travelling to work in a foul mood due to us losing again and the coaching style of that man!!

Being someone who grew up in Toronto and live just north now, everyone asks me how I became a sabre fan. I had a brother who passed away far too young, but who was a great goalie and came up through the Leaf system. If you remember the old days, there was no draft...you came up through each team's system, and they coached you and tutored you and molded you into the player they wanted for the future

Randy was their main man, and played for the Marlies while being tutored by none other then Johnny Bower (he even had some of Johnny's equipment). he was on the fast track to the Leafs but then expansion hit in 1967 and from all indications Washington were looking at him. Randy did not wish to play for anyone but the Leafs and retired.

At the same time, the Leafs fired Punch who I go to meet at the old Maple Leaf Gardens and when he shuffled off to Buffalo both my brother and I followed and became Day One Sabre fans. I have hated the Leafs and the way they operated for many years though I got to admit they sure have their act together now. Anyways, becoming a Sabre fan sure has had it's ups and downs. Hopefully this year will be a "up" year...

Probably the same way a lot of us became EPL fans. There's at least two of us on this forum who root for Everton. Why? Because that's the team we picked.  :lol:

I always thought his 42-save* performance against Belgium played a role for many. You?

* An estimate.

My hometown team (Fife Flyers - EIite Ice Hockey League) play in the same colours as Buffalo - or did back in 1995. Started getting into the NHL the year before when the Rangers won the cup and wondered which team I was going to support, when I saw the Sabres played in the same colours that was it - mind made up, simple :). Even though we changed to the colours and logo shortly after that didn't change my mind.

Many years later and lost count of the amount of money spent on sabres merchandise still love following this team

Oh and for my sins my NFL team is the Indianapolis Colts whom I saw last year also for the first time - supporting two buffalo teams would be too much :)

Looking forward to the season ahead - have to admit was disappointed to see Tim Murray let go but not Blysma. Lost count of the amount of mornings after games when I was travelling to work in a foul mood due to us losing again and the coaching style of that man!!

This is a great story! Thank you for sharing. Good call on not rooting for the Bills, btw. No reason to suffer that way. I wish I was psychologically capable of changing my NFL allegiances, but so far, I'm not able to break free.  

I always thought his 42-save* performance against Belgium played a role for many. You?

* An estimate.

Tim Howard was definitely what drew me to Everton initially. But I found I liked the team's history and that they're a little off the beaten path of most US EPL fanhoods.

Thanks for the welcome all. love reading this forum (my lunchtime activity at work).

Tried to get my son to become a sabres fan but he chose Pittsburgh instead.

After the october trip to florida i will be trying to persuade my wife to have a holiday in western new york in the next few years :) but i may have to say we will base ourselves in toronto and travel down for a game from there.

Just so glad i have finally seen the team play, even if i had seen them during the tank years i still would have cherished it.

That's the first one ever taken of him in our uniform, right? From his Bauer sponsorship or something the summer after we drafted him? I may be wrong. 

That's the one I am sure yeah, loved the whole build up to the draft lottery and draft 2 years ago. Even the year before when we drafted Sam. Tim Murray also cracked me up with the lack of words when selecting our draft pick - will miss that :)

Welcome! Seeing Sabres fans in other parts of the world never gets old for me. I just love it.

Hopefully get to meet some folks from on here when I head to buffalo at some point. Can't come quick enough.

When at the Prudential Center for the Devils game we got our photo taken with the rest of the Sabres fans for the twitter group "Displaced Sabres Fans".

Welcome 1974. Sorry I missed you at the Rock in NJ.

When you do make it to Buffalo, just don't be too disappointed when you see the Peace Bridge. It's kinda hard to compete with that crazy bridge you live near.

Edited by SwampD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.