• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

I'm all for Drury to be GM but he needs to be situatated with a strong front office. All of the successful teams who have gone that route fill their front office pretty well. Toronto has Shanahan, Lou, Hunter and hired that stat geek nerd. Tampa has Yzerman but he gets a lot of help from BriseBois. The Kings recently hired Rob Blake but have Robitaille looking over everything and they've promoted Futa (who we interviewed when we looked for GMs) to be Blake's right hand man.

I'm not afraid of a first time GM but he will need a lot of help, with proven people around him and guys who have scouted and dealt with the cap before.

Why is Chris Drury even remotely appealing? The Rangers roster sucks, their prospects suck, and he'd be a fresh GM with such little experience. It'd be the worst idea we've had since Leino 

Not a single one of those things is good

He hasn't been on today actually...

He was only GM in Atlanta for 1 season and honestly did a pretty good job of setting the Jets roster up. I think he was an unfair casualty of the team moving. I would imagine he's going to get another crack at a GM job at some point. 

Question for the board. The Wild appear to be heading towards another early exit from the playoffs, they already fired their coach can Chuck Fletcher be far behind and is he a candidate for the Sabres?

Stocked prospect system, seems to be able to draft well.

I wouldn't mind this at all. Get Fletcher, then Housely 

He was only GM in Atlanta for 1 season and honestly did a pretty good job of setting the Jets roster up. I think he was an unfair casualty of the team moving. I would imagine he's going to get another crack at a GM job at some point. 

AGM of Montreal and Director of Player Personel for the Leafs. Isn't that when the Leafs were making their worst decisions, like Kessel, Clarkson, and Phaneuf?

Question for the board. The Wild appear to be heading towards another early exit from the playoffs, they already fired their coach can Chuck Fletcher be far behind and is he a candidate for the Sabres?

Dude thought adding Jason Pominville to his team was going to help him win. No bueno. 

I wouldn't mind this at all. Get Fletcher, then Housely

AGM of Montreal and Director of Player Personel for the Leafs. Isn't that when the Leafs were making their worst decisions, like Kessel, Clarkson, and Phaneuf?

Why does Duds carry all of the water on that stuff?

TBF Pominville has been really good for them

In what way? Wearing crisply ironed shirts?

All the more reason for him to be president, not GM.

Why would he be good at president?

Why does Duds carry all of the water on that stuff?

1) It's not all his fault, but he was there for it, and either agrees with it (still there in Montreal) or had some hand in it. Sure, if he went from Toronto to AGM of somewhere like Nashville or Pitt, I wouldn't be as skeptical. But it looks like dumb people keep hiring him, and agreeing with him (not firing him) as they do dumb things. 

2) +1

Why would he be good at president?

1) It's not all his fault, but he was there for it, and either agrees with it (still there in Montreal) or had some hand in it. Sure, if he went from Toronto to AGM of somewhere like Nashville or Pitt, I wouldn't be as skeptical. But it looks like dumb people keep hiring him, and agreeing with him (not firing him) as they do dumb things.

2) +1

He knows how a professional front office works. Can help steer the Pegulas into a more workable system than what's been in place.

No thanks.  They've never gotten anywhere in the playoffs, and he chose to build his forward corps around 3 expensive wingers (Parise, Vanek and Pommer). 

Very nice.

He knows how a professional front office works. Can help steer the Pegulas into a more workable system than what's been in place.

But so should a lot of people in hockey. I like a PHO, but I feel like there are much better candidates somewhere out there. Last thing I want is Dudley as a PHO, and him hiring a Bergevin

No thanks.  They've never gotten anywhere in the playoffs, and he chose to build his forward corps around 3 expensive wingers (Parise, Vanek and Pommer). 

This is a really good point

Edited by WildCard

Dude thought adding Jason Pominville to his team was going to help him win. No bueno.

His mistake was believing FA Pick Ups ( Suter and Parise) would put them over the top. Those teams never had a bonafide superstar, he has that in Eichel here.

I actually have thought that for some time.  It all makes sense now.

Terry doesn't use the SabreSpace.

I had to chuckle at this blurb in Vogl's piece on GM candidates. Uh, what Buffalo executives? There are none left! Someone from Kaleida maybe?

Drury, who played for the Sabres from 2003 to 2007, is highly regarded by Buffalo executives.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/20/well-known-names-abound-sabres-search-gm-coach/

But so should a lot of people in hockey. I like a PHO, but I feel like there are much better candidates somewhere out there

There very well may be. I just don't think he should be dismissed out of hand because of the Leafs, when the Leafs have been a train wreck for 50 years and he was never *the* decision maker, and he has been in other more successful organizations.

There very well may be. I just don't think he should be dismissed out of hand because of the Leafs, when the Leafs have been a train wreck for 50 years and he was never *the* decision maker, and he has been in other more successful organizations.

And Montreal? He's been AGM, apparently taking lessons and agreeing with him, to a man who's fallen so ass backwards into the playoffs it's a miracle he still has a job

Suter has been well worth the money

Yes, but he has never had an elite forward, the pieces are in place a great forward corps here something that he has failed to do in Minny.

He is very good at building Defense Corps, something desperately needed here

From Chuck Gormley

I am hearing @NHLBlackhawks assistant GM Norm MacIver a strong candidate to take over as GM of @BuffaloSabres.

Yessssss

Oh ######, wait, forgot.

...nooooooooo

Edited by WildCard

From Chuck Gormley

I am hearing @NHLBlackhawks assistant GM Norm MacIver a strong candidate to take over as GM of @BuffaloSabres.

OK with me.  Get someone from a highly-accomplished organization.  I'd still like an experienced guy as president, though, and for Brandon to be ridden out on a rail.