• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

A dog pawing at a calculator is not going to figure out Tyrod's QB rating.

Are we talking about a multiverse theory? I can't say it's not true, because those are not falsifiable at this point, which is why there is a stretch between calling string theories that predict multiverses "science" or even "theories". If "y'all" is physicists, there's a huge difference between the mathematical development that is done by high energy theorists and, for example, the electrodynamics textbook I'm working through right now, a subject with which I WOULD be able to falsify an unsubstantiated claim about. 

And if you're just poking at me for the snark I displayed in my response, I just didn't like the "there are" part of that post. That is most certainly not known to be the case.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Are we talking about a multiverse theory? I can't say it's not true, because those are not falsifiable at this point, which is why there is a stretch between calling string theories that predict multiverses "science" or even "theories". If "y'all" is physicists, there's a huge difference between the mathematical development that is done by high energy theorists and, for example, the electrodynamics textbook I'm working through right now, a subject with which I WOULD be able to falsify an unsubstantiated claim about. 

Staring-Confused-Ron-Swanson.gif

And if you're just poking at me for the snark I displayed in my response, I just didn't like the "there are" part of that post. That is most certainly not known to be the case.

It's extremely hard to prove something doesn't exist. Heck, it's even hard to prove something period.

Try "proving" the null, and you will know true publication hell.

Trust me. Been there, done that. Horrible. Rejecting the null is hard enough.

It reminds of this article I read that quoted a CERN particle physicist who was claiming particle physics proves ghosts can't exist. Geez, all the crap he current studies was believed not to exist 20-30 years ago.

Are there any ties between Botterill and Housley?

I am not sold on Tocchet, but I wouldn't be angry if he came in, like I was with DB. But I have to agree with WGR that how can the Pegula's preach character and allow Tocchet to come in after his troubled past. Forgive and forget -- I don't know.

If the coaching search opens up, I just wonder if Botterill has done much with USA Hockey where he would be familiar with Housley, or if they played together, or have any connection.

I really want Housley.

Trust me. Been there, done that. Horrible. Rejecting the null is hard enough.

It reminds of this article I read that quoted a CERN particle physicist who was claiming particle physics proves ghosts can't exist. Geez, all the crap he current studies was believed not to exist 20-30 years ago.

Do you recall the name of that physicist? 

I'm aiming to get some time at CERN in the next few years. Which "crap" are you referring to? Because The Standard Model as we know it has been around longer than that, and quantum theories have been in development for even longer.

Also, ghosts don't exist regardless of any zany quote from an unnamed physicist.

Are there any ties between Botterill and Housley?

I am not sold on Tocchet, but I wouldn't be angry if he came in, like I was with DB. But I have to agree with WGR that how can the Pegula's preach character and allow Tocchet to come in after his troubled past. Forgive and forget -- I don't know.

If the coaching search opens up, I just wonder if Botterill has done much with USA Hockey where he would be familiar with Housley, or if they played together, or have any connection.

I really want Housley.

Me too. Ruff or Housley those are my top choices.

I just had a thought.  I know what you guys are thinking, so just spare me with the first time for everything stuff, OK?

With the Penguin and Washington series being decided tonight, or maybe early tomorrow, what are the chances that the Pegula Festa on Friday could turn into a 2 for the price of 1 doubleheader?

Me too. Ruff or Housley those are my top choices.

I don't think I want Ruff back. I loved him while he was here and when he left, I was bummed, but I turned the page. I liked that Ruff was adaptive -- let's not forget after the lockout he switched to a system that would work without all the clutching and grabbing. Ultimately, the playoffs started and consistent reffing went out the window. But, why I don't like him for a recycled coach -- I never liked some of his choices. He seemed to be infatuated with Derek Roy, and I never saw it. I wasn't happy with the way some of the younger players were developed under Ruff. Myers, Grigorenko, and I am sure I could come up with many more. Just seemed to either never give them a chance or mismanaged their play.  

I just had a thought.  I know what you guys are thinking, so just spare me with the first time for everything stuff, OK?

With the Penguin and Washington series being decided tonight, or maybe early tomorrow, what are the chances that the Pegula Festa on Friday could turn into a 2 for the price of 1 doubleheader?

It's possible. They picked Friday for the press conference. Why? The GM is named, and unless he cannot get to town, the presser is almost always the next day, right? I wish I had more than just my memory to go off of.

I could see two press conferences as I do not see them working together: One in the AM and one in the PM. 

It's more likely Botterill is announced tomorrow with the Presser on Monday Morning.

Florida is waiting for Housley to be able to be interviewed, hopefully the Sabres do the same

Consider that time is an illusion.  

Everything that has ever happened, is happening, and will happen is all occurring at the same time.... so technically the announcement and presser are happening at the same time... right now in fact, and yesterday, and tomorrow.

Consider that time is an illusion.

Everything that has ever happened, is happening, and will happen is all occurring at the same time.... so technically the announcement and presser are happening at the same time... right now in fact, and yesterday, and tomorrow.

Good batch of Shrooms??? Edited by North Buffalo

I'm aiming to get some time at CERN in the next few years. Which "crap" are you referring to? Because The Standard Model as we know it has been around longer than that, and quantum theories have been in development for even longer.

Also, ghosts don't exist regardless of any zany quote from an unnamed physicist.

Don't remember. True, the Higgs Boson has theorized to exist from the 60's, but wasn't shown to exist until 2012. But, I'm not big on theories, but more interested on what the data shows

But as a scientist, or from a scientific point of view, how can you say ghosts don't exist? All you can say if there is no evidence that supports the existence of ghosts.

As for the GM search, I really like Housley as a pick and think Botterill should be spelled Blahtterill.

Edited by kas23

How can a scientist with a young, fertile mind such as yours rule that out? Is it the semantics of the word "ghost"? I always heard energy can't be destroyed. So where does our energy go after death?

Also, Ghost does exist.

/mindblowing

How can a scientist with a young, fertile mind such as yours rule that out? Is it the semantics of the word "ghost"? I always heard energy can't be destroyed. So where does our energy go after death?

Also, Ghost does exist.

/mindblowing

But why would that energy not being destroyed become suddenly sentient?

Your house isn't haunted. You're lonely.

Don't remember. True, the Higgs Boson has theorized to exist from the 60's, but wasn't shown to exist until 2012. But, I'm not big on theories, but more interested on what the data shows

But as a scientist, or from a scientific point of view, how can you say ghosts don't exist? All you can say if there is no evidence that supports the existence of ghosts.

As for the GM search, I really like Housley as a pick and think Botterill should be spelled Blahtterill.

The two play back and forth. Science is building models that best match the data is gathered, and then go one step further and predict measurements that haven't happened yet. If those predictions are correct, we keep using those models. If they aren't, then adjustments are made as necessary. "Theories" are these models. The one we're talking about in particular, the Standard Model of Particle Physics, has an extraordinary track record of predicting particles and their properties, like the Higgs, and then finding them a long time later. That's why we enjoy and use them. The model also fails in some spots (I believe neutrino mass is one of those spots) and so physicists work incredibly hard to see what more there is to the model, to see what tweaks can be made, to see if something different entirely is needed to describe what we see. This is all of science - in the same way that the Standard Model faltered with neutrinos, Newtonian mechanics ###### up Mercury's orbit. We didn't just throw up our arms and say "meh, see they're just theories anyway", people worked very hard and years later we had General Relativity, which both matched Newtonian predictions for motion AND described Mercury's orbit among many other things to stupendous accuracy. And even then, the notion that science lives and dies by these theories is misplaced. They are constantly under attack and scrutiny, ready to be tossed aside or remade if a weakness is shown. It's a beautiful process. 

Exactly. We sit on earth, having never seen what is described as a "ghost" in a reliable setting. All we know is that someone says "ghost" and we say "Where? evidence, data, proof please" and we don't get that, we get a "how can you be so sure they don't exist?" or a "prove they don't". I can't be certain that many many many things, which don't exist, don't, in fact, exist, which is why they say that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. 

Also, Ghost does exist.

/mindblowing

I don't think a ghostless death violates any conservation laws. All of our mass is certainly accounted for, and decays according to the known rates of the atoms that make it up. 

*sploosh* :P

Edited by Randall Flagg