Okposo Hospitalized - Update: Reportedly Doing "Much Better"

That Aud Smell

^

I saw his write-up as well.

I'm not sure if it's an unintentional byproduct of how the copy was written (likely Okposo as told to a professional writer of some kind) or something more intentional, but, after reading that, the story of what actually happened to him remains a bit confusing or confused to me.

In any case, he's saying he suffered and recovered from a concussion -- that much is clear. 

It was undoubtedly a pretty severe concussion, but the x-factor here remains the medication. The concussion may have started the ordeal, but the medication was what caused things to spiral out of hand.

It's good to hear that he says he's 100%. Wish him the best.

^

I saw his write-up as well.

I'm not sure if it's an unintentional byproduct of how the copy was written (likely Okposo as told to a professional writer of some kind) or something more intentional, but, after reading that, the story of what actually happened to him remains a bit confusing or confused to me.

In any case, he's saying he suffered and recovered from a concussion -- that much is clear.

Agreed. Instead of clarifying the situation, it's now even more confusing. He went to the hospital because he was losing weight and wanted to sleep? And the neuro ICU (the last place someone would go if they wanted to get some rest) was the best place for this? And the result is he probably had a concussion?

There seems to be a large communication gap between him and his treating physicians, or he just doesn't want to talk about it.

I change my guess to an autoimmune encephalopathy (like anti-NMDA) or Gullain-Barre syndrome.

Agreed. Instead of clarifying the situation, it's now even more confusing. He went to the hospital because he was losing weight and wanted to sleep? And the neuro ICU (the last place someone would go if they wanted to get some rest) was the best place for this? And the result is he probably had a concussion?

There seems to be a large communication gap between him and his treating physicians, or he just doesn't want to talk about it.

I change my guess to an autoimmune encephalopathy (like anti-NMDA) or Gullain-Barre syndrome.

He didn't go into the ICU until he had an extremely negative reaction to the medication he received (to promote sleep).

He didn't go into the ICU until he had an extremely negative reaction to the medication he received (to promote sleep).

The red flag here is the "routine bump" in practice that set of this entire series of events.    He had concussion symptoms and couldn't sleep, started dropping weight, etc... just because of a routine bump in practice.   

That's not good news.

Ultimately his conditioned worsened due to a negative reaction to the medication, but he fact that he needed the medication in the first place is a bad sign and bad for his future IMO.

The red flag here is the "routine bump" in practice that set of this entire series of events.    He had concussion symptoms and couldn't sleep, started dropping weight, etc... just because of a routine bump in practice.   

That's not good news.

Ultimately his conditioned worsened due to a negative reaction to the medication, but he fact that he needed the medication in the first place is a bad sign and bad for his future IMO.

In fairness, he called it a routine hit and a hard bump. 

It's less than ideal that it took as long as it did for him to be diagnosed and treated. There were days in which his mood had changed. There were (additional?) days in which he could not sleep. He played at least one game while feeling that way. He took multiple flights. I don't think any of that reflects particularly well on the team's training and medical staff. 

The sequence of events that led to his hospitalization is also strange - at least, to a layperson. As noted above: He went to the hospital because he wanted to find a way to sleep? Last place in the world you'd want to be, if you wanted to sleep. The real key in that part of the story seems to be that he needed to be stabilized -- the lost appetite, the loss of weight, the worsening of his senses. That must have been some scary stuff.

God willing, he has made a full recovery. It's worrisome, though, for sure.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Agreed the whole situation is scary... for those of us confused just think if you were KO.... concussions themselves can be confusing. It could have been the result of a couple hits over a short period of time that an exponetially increasing effect. In any event sounds like he devolved over a couple of days and yeh the medical staff on the Sabres doesnt look good. Some docs head should probably be rolled..

Agreed the whole situation is scary... for those of us confused just think if you were KO.... concussions themselves can be confusing. It could have been the result of a couple hits over a short period of time that an exponetially increasing effect. In any event sounds like he devolved over a couple of days and yeh the medical staff on the Sabres doesnt look good. Some docs head should probably be rolled..

This actually strikes me as more a failure to the trainers. They're the ones observing all practices, who are there on the front lines with the players. The team's top FA acquisition goes days or even weeks with progressive mood change, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, and lost weight, and yet he's playing against Florida and on a flight to Columbus before he decides he needs to say something to coach? Feck's sake.

This actually strikes me as more a failure to the trainers. They're the ones observing all practices, who are there on the front lines with the players. The team's top FA acquisition goes days or even weeks with progressive mood change, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, and lost weight, and yet he's playing against Florida and on a flight to Columbus before he decides he needs to say something to coach? Feck's sake.

Right. There are people on this team who are supposed to be on the watch for warning signs. I find it highly unlikely that KO wasn't exhibiting some obvious signs of having a concussion. 

Or both, we dont know what was seen and reported... but you are right if a trainer suspected something and didnt tell a doc or a doc had info and did not run check protocol then one or both should be in serious hot water. That being said players often hide stuff as much as possible to avoid sitting.... yet this one seems weird how it went down... alarm bells should imo been going off with medical staff a lot earlier.

Edited by North Buffalo

In fairness, he called it a routine hit and a hard bump. 

It's less than ideal that it took as long as it did for him to be diagnosed and treated. There were days in which his mood had changed. There were (additional?) days in which he could not sleep. He played at least one game while feeling that way. He took multiple flights. I don't think any of that reflects particularly well on the team's training and medical staff. 

The sequence of events that led to his hospitalization is also strange - at least, to a layperson. As noted above: He went to the hospital because he wanted to find a way to sleep? Last place in the world you'd want to be, if you wanted to sleep. The real key in that part of the story seems to be that he needed to be stabilized -- the lost appetite, the loss of weight, the worsening of his senses. That must have been some scary stuff.

God willing, he has made a full recovery. It's worrisome, though, for sure.

Did any of the medical staff get replaced when Botterill came aboard?

I'm not sure we know this (or at least it's not my interpretation). He wrote:

...But even then, things didn't improve. I went to the hospital hoping that they could find a way for me to get some sleep. The medications they gave me to sleep caused a negative reaction in my body. I still couldn't sleep, and the weight loss continued at an alarming rate. At one point, I weighed less than 200 pounds. I haven't weighed that little since I was 17. Now, the initial thought was a possible concussion.

Intensive care is a scary place to be, but I needed a place where I could be stabilized. My doctors felt that the Neuro Surgical ICU at Buffalo General was the best place for that to happen.

He did not take the medication to sleep at home. He received it in the hospital (does say where in the hospital). However, he continued to lose weight and still couldn't sleep. The decision was made for him to go to Neuro ICU. It's not clear if the "negative reaction" caused his ICU visit, or was unrelated. It certainly didn't cause his "alarming" weight loss and insomnia.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.