Big change coming and needed on Sabres roster.

GASabresIUFAN

I know.  But this time he's going to actually do something about it, or he will be gone by the holidays.  If he doesn't view it that way, he's a fool (and that may very well be the case unfortunately).

That sounds sadly similar to what a person in an abusive relationship would say. My, how the spirit of the fanbase has been broken. Very sad.

I fully expect if Bylsma is back that the team will sneak into the playoffs & get ousted promply in 4-5 games. And yet another of Eichel's ELC years will have been pissed down the drain.

I was reading the stuff about ROR today and it made me realize that one of our biggest priorities this off-season is to find a forward who is good in the face off circle and can kill penalties. Larsson is only a career 48.7 face off winner. Girgensons is at 45%.

Only a Buffalo team would have hired the next year a guy who coached the U.S. Olympic team to such an underwhelming performance, a performance where coaching and strategy was widely criticized,  AND whom Pittsburgh was happy to see go.

Kind of like the Bills, and Rex Ryan - smh/lol.  Who couldn't have predicted the result of Ryan in Buffalo would be similar to his final couple years with the Jets?   

Quenneville was an assistant at Chicago - they didn't pluck him out of Thin Air; they moved him up thru the ranks.    Where was Buffalo's depth of coaching?  Roy Ruffton?  

Only a Buffalo team would have hired the next year a guy who coached the U.S. Olympic team to such an underwhelming performance, a performance where coaching and strategy was widely criticized,  AND whom Pittsburgh was happy to see go.

Kind of like the Bills, and Rex Ryan - smh/lol.  Who couldn't have predicted the result of Ryan in Buffalo would be similar to his final couple years with the Jets?   

Quenneville was an assistant at Chicago - they didn't pluck him out of Thin Air; they moved him up thru the ranks.    Where was Buffalo's depth of coaching?  Roy Ruffton?  

To be fair, Quenneville had already been a head coach in the league before going to Chicago as an assistant. He took a demotion to go there. 

To be fair, Quenneville had already been a head coach in the league before going to Chicago as an assistant. He took a demotion to go there. 

Not trying to be fair - feeling somewhat frustrated with the underwhelming results of this hugely disappointing Sabres' season.  And of course, the poor decisions over the last several years that have led us to this sorry state.  

Some teams just make good decision after good decision - they brought in Quenneville as a glorified scout, when no one else apparently wanted him, and less than a month later moved him into the HC spot, where it's been all sunshine and smiles ever since.     

Not trying to be fair - feeling somewhat frustrated with the underwhelming results of this hugely disappointing Sabres' season.  And of course, the poor decisions over the last several years that have led us to this sorry state.  

Some teams just make good decision after good decision - they brought in Quenneville as a glorified scout, when no one else apparently wanted him, and less than a month later moved him into the HC spot, where it's been all sunshine and smiles ever since.     

I don't think it's that no one wanted him. I think it's that he knew he was going to be the head coach soon. 

Here's a quote from Ryan O'Reilly from Complete Hockey:

"Seeing a young team like Toronto take the spot where we should be, it's so frustrating coming to the rink right now. Practising. There's no purpose to it," O'Reilly said.

"I'm sick of losing. It's getting exhausting and it's not fun. It sucks the fun out of the game."

It seems to me they have tried to transplant leadership on this team. All the team's leaders from Gionta on down to O'Reilly, Okposo and Moulson came from somewhere else. Then you have the other supposed leaders, guys we drafted...Eichel, Reinhart, Risto...

How can a team gel when the core comes from somewhere else? The guys that the Sabres developed are mostly long gone. I wonder how they can develop togetherness on and off the ice with a situation that changes so drastically every year.

Here's a quote from Ryan O'Reilly from Complete Hockey:

"Seeing a young team like Toronto take the spot where we should be, it's so frustrating coming to the rink right now. Practising. There's no purpose to it," O'Reilly said.

"I'm sick of losing. It's getting exhausting and it's not fun. It sucks the fun out of the game."

It seems to me they have tried to transplant leadership on this team. All the team's leaders from Gionta on down to O'Reilly, Okposo and Moulson came from somewhere else. Then you have the other supposed leaders, guys we drafted...Eichel, Reinhart, Risto...

How can a team gel when the core comes from somewhere else? The guys that the Sabres developed are mostly long gone. I wonder how they can develop togetherness on and off the ice with a situation that changes so drastically every year.

I guess The Sabres better trade everyone and hope we draft a leader this year. In all seriousness, I don't know where you're coming from. Most of the guys that will likely become leaders are less than 22 years old. Coupled with an old-school coach that prefers Vets, and the Sabres have few drafted vets left (Ennis and ???), I'm not sure what other outcome to expect.

The year Florida went to the SCF, Ruff was an assistant coach, one of the stories of that team in the playoffs was that it had something like 12 former captains on the roster.  Transplanting leadership is fine.  If you actually get leaders.

When does the roster purge begin? With the season ending today, we could see expansion related trades starting next week for non playoff teams. What is the first move?

It's time to flush the stink from the tank, turn the dressing room over to the core.

Gorges, Moulson, Ennis, Deslauriers - gone, even if it means burying them in the minors.

Girgensons, Larsson and Foligno can play in the bottom six, but they are available for trade.

Gionta back only if trades leave a gaping hole for a third line vet and he is the best available. Kulikov and Franson gone.

Jobs to at least three of ERod, Nylander, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste and Carrier.

At least three new defencemen.

????? Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart ?????

????? O'Reilly ?????

????? ????? ?????

????? Ristolainen

McCabe ?????

????? Bogosian

Falk

Edited by dudacek

It's time to flush the stink from the tank, turn the dressing room over to the core.

Gorges, Moulson, Ennis, Deslauriers - gone, even if it means burying them in the minors.

Girgensons, Larsson and Foligno can play in the bottom six, but they are available for trade.

Gionta back only if trades leave a gaping hole for a third line vet and he is the best available. Kulikov and Franson gone.

Jobs to at least three of ERod, Nylander, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste and Carrier.

????? Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart ?????

????? O'Reilly ?????

????? ????? ?????

????? Ristolainen

McCabe ?????

????? Bogosian

Falk

I have long agreed with this. It is why I started this thread and suggested a 50% turnover from the starting 22 from this season. I think we can move on from Z and Larsson as well. We need a 4th center who can win a draw and kill penalties. We also need to clear out anyone who may be a negative in the locker room or a negative influence on the kids even if that includes Kane.

Roster wise, for this off-season to be a success, GMTM must get a legit top 3 D, get rid of at least 2 of the bad contracts and find one more proven scorer.

Could be, but I doubt it.... for a few reasons.

1) Much better goalies out there to choose from.   Bishop, Bernier, Smith, Subban, Johnson, Darling, Varlamov, Howard, Reimer, Halak, Raanta, Mason, Fleury....

2) Ullmark makes only $775k.   Vegas needs to draft a minimum of $43.8mil worth of players in the expansion draft.   That's an average of $1.5m per player.    

3) They need to take a minimum of 3 goalies in the draft.     I'll bet they take 3 exactly... 3 from the list I provided above.    Ullmark is a B prospect, they won't be interested.

Fleury has a NMC, so he automatically gets kept. They'd be crazy to pass over Murray.

Don't forget that Las Vegas has to take three goaltenders.

????? Eichel Okposo

Kane Reinhart ?????

????? O'Reilly ?????

????? ????? ?????

????? Ristolainen

McCabe ?????

????? Bogosian

Falk

I don't think Murray is willing and/or able to execute this kind of turnover at this point in the rebuild.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.