dudacek

Fixing the Sabres  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which move would you make?

• Trade Kane and our first pick for a top-pairing defenceman
    • Package our top pick or Nylander for a young D with 1st pair potential
    • Fire Dan Bylsma and replace him with "the best guy available."
    • Spend big on Shattenkirk or Alzner as a UFA

We will not acquire a defenseman that can single-handedly pull our possession numbers up to at least even with the assets we have available. We will struggle to win games next year and be outshot badly in the games we do win, just like this season, if we are playing the same system. Any defenseman we add will experience GF%-GA% decreases like Bogosian and Kulikov did. It will be a large decrease, like Bogo and Kuli's. 

We will not acquire a defenseman that can single-handedly pull our possession numbers up to at least even with the assets we have available. We will struggle to win games next year and be outshot badly in the games we do win, just like this season, if we are playing the same system. Any defenseman we add will experience GF%-GA% decreases like Bogosian and Kulikov did. It will be a large decrease, like Bogo and Kuli's. 

We could if we offer sheet Ghost, or trade for Montour

Of course, that being said as you say, that only applies if Byslma is gone

The first two options are an interesting either/or. It obviously depends on if Kane wants to stay here, how much $$ he wants, whether we were able to sign Shattenkirk, etc.

I think I'd prefer to trade Kane.

Agreed. I'd much rather trade Kane than Nylander

Our best and only move(s) is to fix the dang defense.  If GMTM does that and the team still stinks, GMTM will have plenty of time and more ammo to fire DD early in the year.  Mid-season coaching changes seem to be working for Stl, Mon, Bos and Pitt (last season), but then again they are more complete teams.  

Dudacek, don't we already have a fire DD thread?

Our best and only move(s) is to fix the dang defense.  If GMTM does that and the team still stinks, GMTM will have plenty of time and more ammo to fire DD early in the year.  Mid-season coaching changes seem to be working for Stl, Mon, Bos and Pitt (last season), but then again they are more complete teams.  

Dudacek, don't we already have a fire DD thread?

There can never be enough *Fire DD threads*.

I liked the 1st two and then I saw Fire Dan

Yup.

We could if we offer sheet Ghost, or trade for Montour

Of course, that being said as you say, that only applies if Byslma is gone

Agreed. I'd much rather trade Kane than Nylander

And I'd rather trade our first if possible than either of those 2. It wouldn't create more holes, as We've alluded to. Although I'd still be open to dealing one of the other 2 if it comes to it and the pick won't get it done.

I mean, they all sound fine. I'd ask why we're not thinking bigger than just making the playoffs. I'd like to ask what move the Pegulas could make to finally put the franchise on the trajectory he first imagined when he bought the team. I think my top move would be the Pegulas, with the help of the league, hiring a consultant to direct an open-ended search for a real hockey president (no former Sabres or Pittsburgh cronies). Murray and Bylsma would thus most likely be gone, although I guess you'd have to give the prez the option of keeping them. Tim, you got us so far. Thanks and good luck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.