GDT: Flyers at Sabres 7:30 PM 3-7-17 on NBCSN

spndnchz

Here's something interesting from tonight re: special teams time.

Flyers defensemen:

Gudas 0 PP, 1:45 SH

Provorov, 0:04 PP, 2:33 SH

Del Zotto, 2:19 PP, 0:04 SH

Manning 0 PP, 1:41 SH

MacDonald 0 PP, 2:33 SH

Ghostisbehere 3:53 PP, 0 SH

Their defensemen all had special teams minutes but were doing one thing or the other, not both, and the splits make sense.  Here's ours.

Ristolainen 2:31 PP, 4:14 SH

McCabe 1:42 PP, 2:57 SH

Gorges 0 PP, 2:09 SH

Bogosian 0:05 PP, 1:52 PP

Falk 0 PP, 0:48 SH

Franson 1:32 PP, 0 SH

Risto and McCabe are playing big minutes in EVERY special teams situation.  Risto had almost SEVEN minutes of special teams time tonight.  Am I wrong to not be surprised that he was spent 5 on 5? He was saddled with Gorges again during the fame. McCabe only played 21 minutes and was -3, Risto played almost 26.  The only other defenseman who wasn't even was Gorges who was -2.  So in just under 5 minutes together Risto and Gorges went -2.

Risto played over 60 minutes in the back-to-back games this weekend (33:13 Saturday and 29:50 Sunday).  He played 25:45 tonight.  And as you point out, he's not playing easy minutes.

I'm so glad pi2000 does not touch this roster, that's all I can say. 

Oh, and: Jack freaking Eichel is a superstar right this minute. Can he catch Auston in points with 20 fewer games played? It's possible.

We've taken on the Lindy defensive zone point pressure strategy. When they focused on the Flyers player who took the screened point shot, he had 200 square feet of ice to walk into without another body in the picture. 

I'm not well learned when it comes to goaltending, but it looked like Lehner was trusting his size way too much. I see every other goalie in the league shrugging and throwing arms at those shoulder shots, and he NEVER tries to do anything, he just assumes they're going to hit him or go over the net, and he got beat like 5 times doing that tonight. Shrug your freaking shoulder.

This is a well coached team with a talent problem. Their worst-in-the-league talent is why their ES game is the worst in the league. 

you Sabres. 

My prediction: we keep Dan for the foreseeable future, and Jack leaves as soon as he can. I think it's the rain that has got me down.

Cheer up Flagg, cause Jack will never leave

If Jack leaves (forces a trade, signs an RFA contract and we don't match, etc.), I might be done with Buffalo sports.  Something can only be a net negative in your life for so long before you just let it go and move on.

He's the most exciting player we've had since Hasek's prime 20 years ago.  He should spend his entire career here.  And if there are any brains in this organization at all (and that's TBD), we'll find a way to build a winner with him.

If Jack leaves (forces a trade, signs an RFA contract and we don't match, etc.), I might be done with Buffalo sports.  Something can only be a net negative in your life for so long before you just let it go and move on.

He's the most exciting player we've had since Hasek's prime 20 years ago.  He should spend his entire career here.  And if there are any brains in this organization at all (and that's TBD), we'll find a way to build a winner with him.

Oh I would totally be done. I'd probably quit the Bills too

Eichel on fire. 11 game point streak. 3 points tonight. I think thats gonna be my focus the rest of the season. Go Jack!

Most points in the NHL since February 1.

It can be argued, that at this moment, the NHL's best current offensive forward is on the Sabres.

In spite of so much else, for that reason, it's a special time to be a Sabres fan.

How is he ever going to make through a playoff series?  

Where was Duncan Keith at 21? Still over a year from sniffing his first NHL action? Risto's got a 3 year head start on that guy, when he's playing deep in the playoffs he'll be fine like Keith is. Wait, why the am I talking to you about Ristolainen?

Most points in the NHL since February 1.

It can be argued, that at this moment, the NHL's best current offensive forward is on the Sabres.

In spite of so much else, for that reason, it's a special time to be a Sabres fan.

Just don't tell the national media that

What I'm fine with in a vacuum: Benching Jack a shift or two after his turnover there. 

What I'm fine with in a vacuum: Sending Girgensons to the fourth line if he has a string of bad decisions/games.

What I don't understand: Josh Gorges consistently being the worst defenseman in the league, taking back-breaking penalties and handing whiff after whiff to the opposing team for scoring chances, and never once missing a shift. 

What I don't understand: Kane's penalties also not putting a dent in his ice time the way other players' do.

What I'm fine with in a vacuum: Benching Jack a shift or two after his turnover there. 

What I'm fine with in a vacuum: Sending Girgensons to the fourth line if he has a string of bad decisions/games.

What I don't understand: Josh Gorges consistently being the worst defenseman in the league, taking back-breaking penalties and handing whiff after whiff to the opposing team for scoring chances, and never once missing a shift. 

What I don't understand: Kane's penalties also not putting a dent in his ice time the way other players' do.

#veterans

That's where I'm at with the Bills.  Took all my stuff to Goodwill after the first Jets debacle last year and never looked back.  I don't miss it.  All it did was piss me off, there was no point. It made me a much happier person to let it go.

FTR, I walked away from football almost entirely.  No fantasy football this year (I'd played every year since I was in 7th grade when it was all on paper and nobody knew what it was), only gambled on the Super Bowl and even that was buying squares which requires no effort or attention, just luck, didn't have a Super Bowl party for the first time since I had my own place.  Didn't miss it a-tall.

Oh I would totally be done. I'd probably quit the Bills too

I think I'm mostly done with the Bills already. I'll watch if they're on but I'd never go out of my way to do it. They're something to follow in the fall and on draft day but I barely care anymore and I don't miss them in the offseason. I watch Walking Dead the same way; I'll flip it on if it's on but I'm not super invested in it.

In his defense, I think he may be watching the video replay screens under the bench.

That's the point.  Hoping to get a goal overturned is his only reaction.  He's got nothing else.

Well - last year we won a lot down the stretch and it cost us in the draft. Maybe this year we'll continue to suck til the end, maybe get some lottery luck and hopefully fire ###### Dan. This season was over when we lost to Col and ARI, they should have fired ###### then

The season was lost on 12/29 when they played one of their best first periods of the year against the Boston Bruins, going up 2-0, then lost the game.  I knew then that they were doomed.

My expert analysis on all 6 Flyer goals:

1st goal: Foligno out of position, not in the shot lane, Risto not engaged with this man. 

2nd goal: Foligno turns it over at the blueline, Girgenson vacates the zone, McCabe and Risto both take the guy driving the center lane and Gudas has all day to rip it home from the ladies tees.

3rd goal: D-Lo whiffs on his check, Risto fails to get his stick on the pass.  McCabe ties up his man, but poor recognition he fails to block the pass as it careens in off a Flyer skate.

4th goal: Gio out of position standing in no-mans land 6 feet in front of Lehner, O'Reilly recognizes and tries to cover Gio's point but it's too late as the shot gets through.  Gio stands and watches the puck, motionless, then makes a lame attempt to cover Giroux when he realizes he's all alone because O'Reilly is trying to cover for him on the point.

5th goal: Ennis leaves his position to make a weak play at the puck at the top of the circle on his weak side, leaving his point man (Del Zotto) on his strong side wide open to waltz in and rip a shot over a screened Lehner.  Risto fails to clear the net front. 

6th goal: Poor decision by McCabe to pinch, Moulson/Reinhart too slow to get back leaving Konecny 1-on-1 with Risto who whiffs on a weak stick check, backing off instead of stepping up and playing the body allowing Konecy to get off a clean shot top shelf on Lehner.

Some bad positional play, lack of communication, poor effort.   Ennis, Gio, Foligno just as much to blame as Risto and McCabe.

Fu*k it tank on Garth

Tanking is like the weather. If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.

Risto with the -5. Very disappointed in his play the second half of the season. He looks extremely fatigued every shift, conditioning issues?

Overuse issues.

My new FB cover photo.

Remember when Bellemare was the one player in the league with 1900+ minutes since Lazar began his career who had fewer ES points per 60 than Lazar? We changed that tonight, Lazar is now the worst, presumably.

One thing I liked about Dan tonight - Lehner got all bitchy when he got pulled in Toronto, and so Dan left him out there longer than most goalies would be. Eat some more rubber bud, or not, since you can't stop a beach ball.

corsiflyers.jpg

Shredded by a very bad possession team.

This season is about to get even uglier with the schedule coming up. Blue Jackets back to back then a nice West Coast trip. We will be lucky if this club is .500 this season. Doubtful we will reach last seasons overall point total as well. Even WGR conceded that a coaching change may be in the offing come the off season. Look at what Julien has done in Montreal? A little adjustment period and the Habs are off to the races. Next season is definitely on Tim Murray. Another slow start after summer inactivity and you have to consider someone new.

:censored:

I hate when the Sabres lose.

That is compounded 1,000 times when we lose to these buggers, or the Bruins.  The Flyers and Bruins are my 1A and 1A most hated teams in the NHL.  There are no others even close.  I don't really hate any other teams.

That's all.

I'm not going to go back and review the pertinent section of the thread, but... what was with Bylsma's challenge? I could wring Rob's neck every time he sees, "You gotta take a chance." When you have zero chance? I also don't get the argument that the challenge was to get an extra-long timeout. You'd never take a timeout in that situation.

If Rex should have gotten fired for punting, Bylsma should be fired for that challenge alone.

I'm not going to go back and review the pertinent section of the thread, but... what was with Bylsma's challenge? I could wring Rob's neck every time he sees, "You gotta take a chance." When you have zero chance? I also don't get the argument that the challenge was to get an extra-long timeout. You'd never take a timeout in that situation.

If Rex should have gotten fired for punting, Bylsma should be fired for that challenge alone.

I did a lot of yelling at the TV there. And he does it all the time.

There was no chance that gets overturned.

There was no need for a "fake" time out.

How about "They got lucky boys. Get it back."

His lack of leadership and the lack of confidence he shows in the players drive me nuts.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.