Rob Ray

bob_sauve28

I really hope that Marty is being brought in to replace him. Ray, though likable in many ways, and funny at times--kissing Darin Pang, lol--is just a macho bore. Lately is talk of ripping Marty apart, making fun of how small he is and all his "real men" BS is just tiring. I get a lot of people love his tough talk but listening to him say a skilled player should have done this or that is laughable. Move Marty to the booth and give Ray the occasional ice level comment and that would be great. 

That's all 

I really hope that Marty is being brought in to replace him. Ray, though likable in many ways, and funny at times--kissing Darin Pang, lol--is just a macho bore. Lately is talk of ripping Marty apart, making fun of how small he is and all his "real men" BS is just tiring. I get a lot of people love his tough talk but listening to him say a skilled player should have done this or that is laughable. Move Marty to the booth and give Ray the occasional ice level comment and that would be great. 

That's all 

You come acrost as being very anti-Ray?

I can think of accents that drive me nuts and Marty's is far from it.

Dunleavy's canadian accent bothers me too.   Accents never bothered me before, but as I get older it's become more and more difficult to listen to.   Spent the first 25 years of my life in Buffalo and I had a thick WNY accent, but it's gone now (at least to my ears it is).    Anyway, I think it might have to do with all the western european/australian news anchors and talk show hosts on american television now a days... i mean, go work in your own country right?   The Sabres should have american tv and radio crew...  it's complaint thursday right?

Dunleavy's canadian accent bothers me too.   Accents never bothered me before, but as I get older it's become more and more difficult to listen to.   Spent the first 25 years of my life in Buffalo and I had a thick WNY accent, but it's gone now (at least to my ears it is).    Anyway, I think it might have to do with all the western european/australian news anchors and talk show hosts on american television now a days... i mean, go work in your own country right?   The Sabres should have american tv and radio crew...  it's complaint thursday right?

So then of all the broadcasters that the Sabres have, literally only Marty Biron can stay, as he became an American citizen in the last couple weeks.

I never noticed his accent atoll.

I'm all for upgrading from Rob Ray. He's a meat head with the occasional insight or funny story but generally just throwing out cliches and occasionally utter nonsense. 

Marty is pretty good but his accent also drives me nuts. 

However we really should address the bigger travesty: Brad May droning on like a hungover, stammering, nincompoop during intermissions. Actually, intermission might be a good place for Ray who would be an upgrade over May. 

Bob_sauve with the post...and it's a big one!

I agree Ray is just awful to listen to and needs his role in the broadcast to be significantly reduced. He no talk good and offers very little insight into the play. The linguistic ticks he repeats over and over are excruciating.

I realize we're never going to get anyone as good as Lorentz again, or even with a similar style, which is such a shame. As someone that didn't play junior hockey, I learned a lot about hockey from watching sabres games. Ray imparts no such knowledge and is instead perpetuating the caveman macho perspective others in this thread have commented on. An improved broadcast and play by play guy would help build the collective hockey IQ of the fan base.

Honestly, I think it borders on cruelty to have the guy get punched in the head for the sake of the organization for so many years, only to later give him a job that requires agile use of his damaged brain. I believe everyone who says he is a truly nice guy and I agree it's great to have him involved in the organization, but for the love of God, please put him in a role that he can succeed in.

Also, this thread needs a Rob Ray hotdog gif.

Edited by atoq

I really like Ray's radio show on wgr.

What show was/is that?

Bob_sauve with the post...and it's a big one!

I agree Ray is just awful to listen to and needs his role in the broadcast to be significantly reduced. He no talk good and offers very little insight into the play. The linguistic ticks he repeats over and over are excruciating.

I realize we're never going to get anyone as good as Lorentz again, or even with a similar style, which is such a shame. As someone that didn't play junior hockey, I learned a lot about hockey from watching sabres games. Ray imparts no such knowledge and is instead perpetuating the caveman macho perspective others in this thread have commented on. An improved broadcast and play by play guy would help build the collective hockey IQ of the fan base.

Honestly, I think it borders on cruelty to have the guy get punched in the head for the sake of the organization for so many years, only to later give him a job that requires agile use of his damaged brain. I believe everyone who says he is a truly nice guy and I agree it's great to have him involved in the organization, but for the love of God, please put him in a role that he can succeed in.

Also, this thread needs a Rob Ray hotdog gif.

I have a soft spot for Ray, I will admit. But the criticism above is fair. 

Lorentz is most certainly missed - what a mind for the game!

Surprisingly, the .gif is difficult to find.

rob-ray-hot-dog.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.