What NHL Rule Changes Would You Like To See?

GASabresIUFAN

I have five I'd like to see.

1) If there is a fight that wasn't instigated, I'd like to see each player get a 2 minute delay of game penalty and the teams play 4 on 4. I think it would create a little more offense, which the game needs and maybe help discourage stupid fights. I also hate fights in which a player challenges another after a hard but clean hit. I'd like to see more instigator calls on that kind of fight as well.

2) The blueline. Right now the blueline is in the neutral zone until the puck fully crosses it. Once the puck is in the offensive zone, the blueline is in the offensive zone. Why? I'd like to the see blueline as always in the zone. Once the puck touches the blueline the puck and consequently the players are in the offensive zone. If we have to move the blueline a foot to keep the neutral zone the same size, so be it. I think this would eliminate many of the reply off sides calls and let the game flow better.

3) Penalty shots. NHL hit on about 33% of the penalty shots, but only about 20% of power plays. The purpose of then penalty shot was to give a player the opportunity at the breakaway he'd have gotten without the illegal play.

I'd like to see one of two changes experimented with to see if they create more scoring or opportunities for good coaching strategies.

Option 1: if a penalty shot is called, then the victim's coach can choose either to accept the shot or take a 2 minute minor instead. I think there are times, when a coach would prefer to kill 2 minutes of the clock (say when protecting a 2 goal lead late in the game), or would like to have his PP on the ice instead of the shooter given the penalty shot.

Option 2: if the shooter doesn't score on the penalty shot, his team still gets a 1 minute PP.

4) I hate that penalties that carry over between periods give the short handed team a clear by having the next period faceoff at center ice. I'd like to see, if the team with the PP is in the offensive zone at the end of the period, then the next period's faceoff start in the offensive zone. Othewise the next period will start as usual at center ice.

5) Suspensions. If a player is injured by a dirty play worthy of a suspension, the penalized player should be suspended for the games the NHL sees fit or the length the player is injured for, whichever is longer.

For example; say Chris Neil targets Chris Drury's head and the NHL decides to suspend Neil for 5 games for the hit, but Drury gets a concussion and is lost for the rest of the season. Under my rule, Neil would also be gone for the season. The goal here is to better protect the players from the idiots like Neil. Why should a team only lose the services of their dirty player for a few games, when the victim's team could lose a key player for the season?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

If you're shorthanded at the end of overtime, you only get two shooters in the shootout. There is currently no disincentive to tackle someone about to have a scoring chance at the end of overtime.

I love this one.  

When a goalie takes a penalty, he has to go to the box or bench and backup has to play.

It would be interesting to see this.  So you lose the goalie for 2 minutes and the your on the PK.  I like it.

If you're shorthanded at the end of overtime, you only get two shooters in the shootout. There is currently no disincentive to tackle someone about to have a scoring chance at the end of overtime.

Or OT doesn't end until the penalty expires.

1 - Pucks that hit the netting and return to the ice surface are in play, unless it hits the goalie. The net is just an extension of the glass.

2 - Any way you can advance the puck into the net is legal, hand, kick, high stick.... They're all skill plays.

3 - Hand passes should be legal in all zones.

4 - Pucks knocked down with a high stick are in play.

5 - Last 5 minutes of regulation in a tie game goes to 3-on-3. If a goal is scored, back to 5-on-5.

6 - No shootouts. 5 min 3-on-3 then 5 min 2-on-2 with a 30s shot clock that starts when possession is gained. If shot clock expires, possession is given to the other team.

7 - Can't challenge offsides.

8 - Eliminate draft lottery.

9 - 3 Conferences, Howe, Orr, Gretzky. 1-16 playoff matchups.

1 - Pucks that hit the netting and return to the ice surface are in play, unless it hits the goalie. The net is just an extension of the glass.

2 - Any way you can advance the puck into the net is legal, hand, kick, high stick.... They're all skill plays.

5 - Last 5 minutes of regulation in a tie game goes to 3-on-3. If a goal is scored, back to 5-on-5.

6 - No shootouts. 5 min 3-on-3 then 5 min 2-on-2 with a 30s shot clock that starts when possession is gained. If shot clock expires, possession is given to the other team.

I'm pretty sure 1-4 would result in lost teeth and eyeballs.

I'm pretty sure 1-4 would result in lost teeth and eyeballs.

Going down that route need hotel rooms overlooking stands, ice girls need less clothing... only pretty dumb eastern european women sit behind benches ( The Donald rule). Update clips you like more often.

Edited by North Buffalo

Full 2 minute power plays, regardless of whether the team scores or not.

Also would apply to delayed penalties. Still a 2 minute penalty to be served even if the attacking team pulls their goalie and scores.

I think this would increase scoring and excitement, while also decreasing some of the clutchy, holdy, grabby nonsense we have now.

Also would apply to delayed penalties. Still a 2 minute penalty to be served even if the attacking team pulls their goalie and scores.

I think this would increase scoring and excitement, while also decreasing some of the clutchy, holdy, grabby nonsense we have now.

A Scotty Bowman suggestion from way back. i like this one too

Get rid of the trapezoid

Only agree w/ 7 and 8.  And yes, get rid of the trapezoid.  Only other rule change I'm up for is saying bye bye to the shootout.  Oh, another rule to add is the NHL cannot change the rules!  Changes temporarily increase scoring.  Teams adapt and numbers return to the norm.  Let the guys play hockey. 

A Scotty Bowman suggestion from way back. i like this one too

I'd take one or the other: full two minute penalty or icing rules, including no change, in effect for penalized teams. I think both would be too much.

Also, more no-change situations, such as puck out play (perhaps instead of the 2-minute delay of game unless it was deemed intentional), goalie freezing the puck, etc.

Edited by MattPie

I'd be ok with this as well.

I'd take one or the other: full two minute penalty or icing rules, including no change, in effect for penalized teams. I think both would be too much.

Also, more no-change situations, such as puck out play (perhaps instead of the 2-minute delay of game unless it was deemed intentional), goalie freezing the puck, etc.

That being said, changes to increase PP scoring will likely reduce the number of Penalties called.

Edited by MattPie

Remove the trapezoid.  Limit the length of the shaft portion of the goalie stick to 12 inches.  The goalies could still use the stick to defend as they do today, but could only chip the puck. Results in more end zone pressure.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.