Players not listening to Dan?

Randall Flagg

We're only 5 days away from the 6th anniversary of the Pegulas taking over the team.  It's also going on 6 years (coincidence?)  since the Sabres have been in the post-season.

We're sure not seeing a fast Chicago style rebuild where new owner/GM comes in, and the team improves noticeably every season (they caught fire after Quenneville became named coach, and have stayed one of the forces in the NHL ever since).  

Owners meddle.  GM seems content and complacent.   Coach seems like a fish out of water.  Brandon does whatever Brandon does, behind the scenes.   Great rebuild you got there, Tim Murray!  We'll be lucky to get the team BACK to where it was before Pegula,  you, Brandon and Bylsma took over.   lol

Edited by Jsixspd

Paul Hamilton on WGR.

GMTM has some detective work to do. If the young core is not on board with this coach, it's trade players or get a new coach.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Paul did not say who he thinks is not on board with DD, but he has to know.

This doesn't seem likely to end well.

If we get a new coach, it ends well for me.????

This doesn't seem likely to end well.

Probably not.

But hey.....

"Are you not entertained" :D

We're only 5 days away from the 6th anniversary of the Pegulas taking over the team. It's also going on 6 years (coincidence?) since the Sabres have been in the post-season.

We're sure not seeing a fast Chicago style rebuild where new owner/GM comes in, and the team improves noticeably every season (they caught fire after Quenneville became named coach, and have stayed one of the forces in the NHL ever since).

Owners meddle. GM seems content and complacent. Coach seems like a fish out of water. Brandon does whatever Brandon does, behind the scenes. Great rebuild you got there, Tim Murray! We'll be lucky to get the team BACK to where it was before Pegula, you, Brandon and Bylsma took over. lol

I could get on board with the sentiment, but being honest with myself I knew it wasn't going to be a 3 year whirlwind turn around. And that is where we are in my opinion, year 3 of the added components.

5 years, that's about where I put playoff contenders for the team at. And by that I mean having the ability to win a playoff series.

With that said, someone needs to get control of this show before it does get out of hand.

Edited by Lucky E

@ink

Not specifically True. There was a lot of us who didn't believe he would be fired until next Christmas at the earliest

I'm happy with Lehner. I don't care what it takes, just get Byslma fired while Julien is on the market

Paul Hamilton on WGR.

GMTM has some detective work to do. If the young core is not on board with this coach, it's trade players or get a new coach.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Paul did not say who he thinks is not on board with DD, but he has to know.

If we get a new coach, it ends well for me.????

It's evidently Eichel. I don't know if anyone else feels like that, but it couldn't be more obvious that Jack is the number one perpetrator. And guess what, DD? Just like in Pitt you're not gonna win that battle Edited by WildCard

It's evidently Eichel. 

It's gotta be.

"'And we have a structure but we don’t play it. If we’re going to chip it deep or do whatever we’re supposed to do, let’s do another deke, let’s do another play, get out of our zone. 'No, let’s do the fancy thing.'"

Question: Should we merge this with the "Let the Fire Bylsma Watch Begin" thread?

@ink

Not specifically True. There was a lot of us who didn't believe he would be fired until next Christmas at the earliest

I'm happy with Lehner. I don't care what it takes, just get Byslma fired while Julien is on the market

It's evidently Eichel. I don't know if anyone else feels like that, but it couldn't be more obvious that Jack is the number one perpetrator. And guess what, DD? Just like in Pitt you're not gonna win that battle

Do you think Julien would do any better with the talent on this team ? 

Yes.

By the way, love the avatar.

Thanks but I'm don't think Julien would do a lot better. Our leading scorer is 71st in the league ... we have one upper echelon d-man ... mediocre goaltending.

I'm not even sure that Scotty Bowman could get this team to the playoffs.

Edited by gramps

The burning question has to be whether it's only Eichel, or if he's just the poster child for a group.

It can't be just him. He just appears to be the most vocal. Though for the life of me I can't think of another player who would feel the same that appears to match Lehner's description. ROR is the closest I can think of

Clearly not a coach issue, love how the pro-fire Dan club twists the verbiage.

How is this not an issue concerning the coach? Lehner said that there are players on the team who are flat-out ignoring the plan that the coach draws up for them.

The burning question has to be whether it's only Eichel, or if he's just the poster child for a group.

My long-held fear is that Murray also wants to play that way. Let's hope not.

I'm sure there are others, and I'd suspect that Eichel is the poster child.

I've started to wonder whether GMTM's apparent interest in being "heavy" requires a chip and chase and grind approach. I don't think that's necessarily the case.

Btw, GMTM has been on the radio in the last 6 weeks or so saying, or seeming to say, that the way the team is designed to play right now -- he referred a couple of times to the goal of isolating key places to "small ice" -- was a function of the quality of the roster.

So, whether that is true or not (I tend to think it is not (compare, say, Carolina)), it may be that Dreary Dan is implementing a structure that GMTM wants to see.

Was Lehner's comment simply calling out Eichel's curl of the puck at the goal-line extended right into the middle of the ice -- the one that was knocked off his stick and quickly put into the back of the net?

I didn't see who the player was at first that did that, but I immediately thought 'who is carrying the puck up the middle???' When I saw it was Eichel, I shook my head. I think he gets an easy pass. He turns the puck over a ton. Exciting to watch, yes, but frustrating.

How is this not an issue concerning the coach? Lehner said that there are players on the team who are flat-out ignoring the plan that the coach draws up for them.

I've started to wonder whether GMTM's apparent interest in being "heavy" requires a chip and chase and grind approach. I don't think that's necessarily the case.

Btw, GMTM has been on the radio in the last 6 weeks or so saying, or seeming to say, that the way the team is designed to play right now -- he referred a couple of times to the goal of isolating key places to "small ice" -- was a function of the quality of the roster.

So, whether that is true or not (I tend to think it is not (compare, say, Carolina)), it may be that Dreary Dan is implementing a structure that GMTM wants to see.

What does this mean?

If GMTM likes Byslma's system, we're screwed. 

HC vacancies this summer. Lot of big names

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nhl-head-coach-contracts-salaries/

We're only 5 days away from the 6th anniversary of the Pegulas taking over the team.  It's also going on 6 years (coincidence?)  since the Sabres have been in the post-season.

Owners meddle.  GM seems content and complacent.   Coach seems like a fish out of water.  Brandon does whatever Brandon does, behind the scenes.   Great rebuild you got there, Tim Murray!  We'll be lucky to get the team BACK to where it was before Pegula,  you, Brandon and Bylsma took over.   lol

As far as owners meddling.....

I love what the Pegulas are doing for the city and area.  They seem to be putting a lot of money into the teams and Buffalo.  Regardless of how the Bills/Sabres do, it would seem the area is better to live in because of what they are building/doing with downtown.

HOWEVER, as of right now I do not think they are good owners.  I don't know 95% of what is going on with the teams, what is being said in meetings, the exact long term plan, etc (as is the same for most fans), but from what can see, it just seem as if they don't have everything together as far as being successful/winning pro sports owners.

Was Lehner's comment simply calling out Eichel's curl of the puck at the goal-line extended right into the middle of the ice -- the one that was knocked off his stick and quickly put into the back of the net?

I didn't see who the player was at first that did that, but I immediately thought 'who is carrying the puck up the middle???' When I saw it was Eichel, I shook my head. I think he gets an easy pass. He turns the puck over a ton. Exciting to watch, yes, but frustrating.

No, this has been an ongoing issue all season...guys overstaying shifts, guys not being aware and taking too many men on the ice penalties, guys coasting back on the backcheck and not picking up the 3rd man in, guys leaving people wide open in the slot on the power play, guys not paying attention to little details that lead to bad things happening three of four plays down the line that never had to happen, guys freelancing and not playing the way they are supposed to...

Lehner was pissed, Okposo was pissed and they have every right to be. It's immaturity and youth that's a big cause of it,but the older guys need to reign these youngsters in and make them get it...

There is a big disconnect on the team somewhere...whether it's the coaches, the young players not listening, the older vets not getting on the young players, or some of everything, something just isn't right...

Edited by matter2003

This may be true, but he hasn't much tailored himself to something GMTM says he wants to see. Stretch passes with little puck support that favored grinder style hockey is what he did in Pittsburgh too - and it worked well, because they had TWO Eichels who could create the way Jack does (at a much higher scoring rate), including the best player in the world which also happens to be a grinder, and two lower lines filled with grinder-types.

No, this has been an ongoing issue all season...guys overstaying shifts, guys not being aware and taking too many men on the ice penalties, guys coasting back on the backcheck and not picking up the 3rd man in, guys leaving people wide open in the slot on the power play, guys not paying attention to little details that lead to bad things happening three of four plays down the line that never had to happen, guys freelancing and not playing the way they are supposed to...

Lehner was pissed, Okposo was pissed and they have every right to be. It's immaturity and youth that's a big cause of it,but the older guys need to reign these youngsters in and make them get it...

There is a big disconnect on the team somewhere...whether it's the coaches, the young players not listening, the older vets not getting on the young players, or some of everything, something just isn't right...

To the bold, it sounds like all of it. We know Dan takes it easy on the star players, it's why we were excited to bring him in with Jack. I'm not in the room, but ROR and Moulson and guys like that do not scream "direct confrontation", so maybe Lehner is showing frustration that not all of the vets are wiling to yell at Jack/the other kids the way he is.

What does this mean?

I'm not entirely sure. It seems to suggest that he doesn't want the team playing a wider-open, freer-flowing game. "Small ice" seems consistent with a plan that calls for getting the puck into a specific spot or area, pressuring and grinding the puck in that specific area, winning the puck, and then getting a quality chance.

This may be true, but he hasn't much tailored himself to something GMTM says he wants to see. Stretch passes with little puck support that favored grinder style hockey is what he did in Pittsburgh too - and it worked well, because they had TWO Eichels who could create the way Jack does (at a much higher scoring rate), including the best player in the world which also happens to be a grinder, and two lower lines filled with grinder-types.

To the bold, it sounds like all of it. We know Dan takes it easy on the star players, it's why we were excited to bring him in with Jack. I'm not in the room, but ROR and Moulson and guys like that do not scream "direct confrontation", so maybe Lehner is showing frustration that not all of the vets are wiling to yell at Jack/the other kids the way he is.

Interesting observation. There is a lot of truth to that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.