Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

If you think Taylor is the problem, you should see what quarterbacks are playing next weekend.

The guy who threw for more yards yesterday than Tyrod ever has in a game, the backup to a real QB that got his team there in the first place who squeaked out of a home game and will lose next weekend, or the guy riding the best defense in the league and yet also threw for almost 1000 more yards than TT this year? 

Should we keep TT, hope he improves by quadruple digits in single season yardage, and just whip up the best D in the league? Or should we find a qb who can throw the ball when the WR isn't clear of every defender by seven yards? 

TT is a huge problem, even if he's not the only one. 

The guy who threw for more yards yesterday than Tyrod ever has in a game, the backup to a real QB that got his team there in the first place who squeaked out of a home game and will lose next weekend, or the guy riding the best defense in the league and yet also threw for almost 1000 more yards than TT this year? 

Should we keep TT, hope he improves by quadruple digits in single season yardage, and just whip up the best D in the league? Or should we find a qb who can throw the ball when the WR isn't clear of every defender by seven yards? 

alonzo-mourning-heat-upset-then-realizat

I guess I could have articulated my point better. Two of the four quarterbacks playing are castoffs. One of them is a third-stinger! Bortles is a freaking tire fire, even if his line let him get it done yesterday. I cannot think that anyone who is honest would have said they would have preferred him, or Keenum or Foles, to Taylor last September.

I do want to see a better QB than Taylor, but it also is obvious that a team doesn't need a good QB to advance in the playoffs. Three bad ones are in championship games.

I guess I could have articulated my point better. Two of the four quarterbacks playing are castoffs. One of them is a third-stinger! Bortles is a freaking tire fire, even if his line let him get it done yesterday. I cannot think that anyone who is honest would have said they would have preferred him, or Keenum or Foles, to Taylor last September.

I do want to see a better QB than Taylor, but it also is obvious that a team doesn't need a good QB to advance in the playoffs. Three bad ones are in championship games.

But it's the exception not the norm. The Super Bowl reps from each conference since the Patriots Dynasty started (2002, 15 seasons)

Tom Brady - 7

Peyton Manning - 4

Ben Roethlisberger - 3

Eli Manning - 2

Kurt Warner - 2

Russell Wilson - 2

Aaron Rodgers - 1

Rex Grossman - 1

Jake Delhomme - 1

Rich Gannon - 1

Brad Johnson - 1

Joe Flacco - 1

Colin Kaepernick - 1

Cam Newton - 1

Matt Ryan - 1

So sure, you have your Delhomme's, Grossmans, Johnsons, and 2016 Peyton's, but outside of that, those QB's, in those seasons, were some of, if not the, best in the league.

http://www.profootballhof.com/news/super-bowl-starting-qbs/

Edited by Jokertecken

I wish I could say that, but Marrone is in the freaking AFC Championship game right now. 

Speaking of which, Jacksonville's twitter has been talking a big game at people about it, and Tim Graham had a tantrum about it twitter with them. Funny exchange

Well he's had a bunch of 1 year NFL stints at OC where his pass offense in attempts and proficiency was always dead last or real close to it. His rushing attempts and proficiency was, conversely, usually top 5 or 10. He had garbage QBs when he was OC and good backs, so it makes sense. He then went to Bama where, surprise, they have good backs and garbage QBs.

Brawndo, where did you see that he was sought after by them? I haven't even seen confirmation that McDaniels is leavingNot sure if this is what you meant Ink, but Mularky and Tennessee have agreed to part ways.

@AdamSchefter

So Josh McDaniels goes from being a favorite in Indianapolis....to being a favorite in Tennessee. McDaniels will be getting an HC job.

@AlbertBreer

Was clear inside the Titans organization that the events of Wild Card weekend fractured the trust between GM Jon Robinson and coach Mike Mularkey. That’s where Mularkey’s postgame rant last week was coming from

Last Tuesday Ian Rapaport mentioned that Daboll will be a hot candidate for the open OC positions across the league including for Matt Patricia, Josh Daniels and Belichick.

Patricia is expected to take the Lions Job. Daniels was expected to go to the Colts, however Jason LaCanfora reported he maybe the front runner for the Titans now.

Also Chris Price from the Boston Sports Journal was on GR this AM. He mentioned there was shock amongst the Boston Fans that he took the Buffalo Job, as the first call B.B. would have made would be to Saban to bring Daboll to NE had McDaniels left. Price wrote an article about this very topic in November.

I understand your feelings regarding NE/Marrone, but as a Packer fan, I find Viking fans to be about as obnoxious as Leafs fans. I'm praying Philly and Foles pulls out a miracle.

Really? I'm curious about that. They've never won anything, and don't exactly have a long standing tradition of being the center of the football universe like Toronto has. How are they like Toronto?

I understand your feelings regarding NE/Marrone, but as a Packer fan, I find Viking fans to be about as obnoxious as Leafs fans. I'm praying Philly and Foles pulls out a miracle.

Vikings fans are obnoxious? How can that be? They haven't won anything since the year before the league expanded and haven't played for the championship in over 40 years. Oh wait, I just answered my own question.

Really? I'm curious about that. They've never won anything, and don't exactly have a long standing tradition of being the center of the football universe like Toronto has. How are they like Toronto?

They're major talkers, flap their gums when things are going well, disappear the second their team has to face any adversity. There's also that blasted horn, their bizarre inferiority complex where they signed every (and I do mean EVERY) washed-up former Packer player who came their way, and just an unwarranted sense of entitlement while also complaining about what a bunch of underdogs they are.

Nothing earth-shattering I know, as every fanbase has it's obnoxious sports fans, but I find Vikings fans are a special breed.

Per Ian Rapaport Shurmur to be the Giants HC, Josh Daniels to Indy

So Case Keenum to the Giants then. That's huge. Wonder what happens with Eli, and them drafting a QB then. Also means Luck isn't going anywhere, and that Bradford and Bridgewater will stay put

Always hate when coordinators take jobs during the postseason. It's such a huge and unnecessary distraction from and for the team 

Edited by Jokertecken

That probably puts the number 2 Overall Pick in play then

If the reports of Keenum following Shurmur anywhere he goes are accurate, then I would think so. I also think it's a terrible idea for them to do anything but draft Rosen

In more depressing news, this also means Saban will not be going to the NFL, and Belichik will either retire or come back to the Pats.

Edited by Jokertecken

The deal is he has the perfect name

Run, Daboll!

Pass, Daboll!

Fire Daboll!

Just could not let this go by with out acknowledging the sheer awesomeness of the bolded.

:w00t:

It was good. BUT ...

"Punt Daboll" would've been better. :p

I don't know how you can compare any fans unfavorably to Philadelphia fans.  Have you ever been to a game, any sport, in Philly?!

Keenum is actually second behind only Carson Wentz in ESPN's Total QB Rating this season.  Brady is 3rd. (Watson and Garoppolo would be 1 and 2, but didn't have enough starts to qualify).

Edited by JujuFish

Just could not let this go by with out acknowledging the sheer awesomeness of the bolded.

:w00t:

I learned today it rhymes with table and Mable. So nevermind.

You know what would be fun? Create the website and buy the billboards now. firedaboll.com. It would be a hoot. Why wait?

Courtesy of BillsFan4 over at TBD: Jake Delhomme and Chad Pennington describe working with Daboll

"I loved being around him," Delhomme said. "He's a fantastic X-and-O football coach.... I was lucky enough to have a pretty good background after playing for a while.  But there were still many things I learned from him, the nuances of a defense and things that I thought were fantastic."

It's why Dehomme is convinced Daboll will have success at Alabama, where he was hired as offensive coordinator earlier this week. Delhomme, the former Carolina Panthers star, described Daboll as a "great teacher."

"I always felt like I was getting better by being around him because I was acquiring more knowledge," said former quarterback Chad Pennington.

"Whether three-by-one, or two-by-two, the motion, a shift, what those things do to a defense, Brian knows that," Delhomme said. "That's what helps him as an offensive coach."

So does his willingness to adapt, according to Pennington. Game plans evolve week to week based on the opponent. It's part of the fabric of the New England Patriots system in which Daboll was indoctrinated and whose hallmark is its multiplicity. 

"Just because one thing or one scheme or one thought process worked one week doesn't mean he will implement and employ the same thought process the next," Pennington said. "He's going to be versatile and not be stubborn, saying, 'OK, we're going to do this and we're not going to care what the defense does.' They really pay attention to who they are playing against and how to attack them."

"He's done a phenomenal job in the three years that he has been with us relative to taking the players that we had and actually molding a system, especially for the quarterback to be successful in and I think those are signs of tremendous maturity as a coach who is just not committed to a system but is committed to doing the things he has to do to help players be successful," Saban said last December.

"They may be doing that in the future," Pennington said. "I don't think [Daboll's] expertise is in fundamental quarterback work or being a quarterback technician. I do think he can improve the quarterback from a scheme and read perspective."

"New England's stuff is very concept driven and quarterbacks will understand concepts for each side of the field," Pennington explained. "There will be certain concepts and those concepts have certain rules. [The Patriots] have always been very good about the spacing of their routes and that everything has a rhyme and reason... I think it's a quarterback-friendly system and it gives the quarterback a chance to really show his skill-set and be the field general of the offense."

And as Delhomme said, "The best coaches put their players in a position to succeed."

"I think Brian is going to find out Jalen Hurts' strengths and will focus on his strengths," he continued. "Brian will make him a very cerebral quarterback. That's one thing Brian will do. This kid will feel very confident walking onto the field. [Daboll] won't sleep to make sure his players are extremely well-prepared and he does a great job of teaching to make guys want to learn."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/02/two_ex-nfl_qbs_give_the_lowdow.html

Alabama didn't play any of the big name QBs getting drafted this year, but I'd bet he is pretty familiar with all of them

Edited by Jokertecken

I don't know how you can compare any fans unfavorably to Philadelphia fans.  Have you ever been to a game, any sport, in Philly?!

Hot take: Philly fans are no worse than Bills fans. I've been to several Flyers games and nothing happened that I couldn't imagine seeing at the Ralph. Maybe not at a Sabres game, but I haven't been to a home game in probably 20 years.

Hot take: Philly fans are no worse than Bills fans. I've been to several Flyers games and nothing happened that I couldn't imagine seeing at the Ralph. Maybe not at a Sabres game, but I haven't been to a home game in probably 20 years.

Feel like Philly is a mean drunk, and we're a fun one