Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Peterman should be okay so long as the defense and special teams can recover 3 fumbles against the Chargers.

While we aren't getting turnover luck and have fallen apart in the trenches, people way overvalue how much turnovers attributed to our wins. 

The Buccaneers game is the only one I'm confident we lose without one big turnover. 

The Broncos, Jets, Falcons, Raiders games were won at each line of scrimmage. We had them BENCH KHALIL MACK because of ineffectiveness. Literally. The Raiders sat probably the best DL in the world because he wasn't doing anything against us. We often won time of possession. We were the better football team in at least 2 of 3 phases in each of these wins. Picking off Semian, Carr, McCown like seven times in garbage time because we were already up, to add to a big turnover differential doesn't change that fact. 

While we aren't getting turnover luck and have fallen apart in the trenches, people way overvalue how much turnovers attributed to our wins. 

The Buccaneers game is the only one I'm confident we lose without one big turnover. 

The Broncos, Jets, Falcons, Raiders games were won at each line of scrimmage. We had them BENCH KHALIL MACK because of ineffectiveness. Literally. The Raiders sat probably the best DL in the world because he wasn't doing anything against us. We often won time of possession. We were the better football team in at least 2 of 3 phases in each of these wins. Picking off Semian, Carr, McCown like seven times in garbage time because we were already up, to add to a big turnover differential doesn't change that fact. 

A tad over-stated for my taste, but that may echo a point re how game planning seems to have led to the team's successes. The games against ATL and OAK seemed like games that -- almost by chance on some level -- the way the Bills staff planned wound up matching up really well against how the other teams' staffs planned. And I'm sure execution played a role, as we hear over and over from McDermott.

My take. Tyrod is not going to give you anymore than we've seen. We are now in situation that Tyrod will not be the guy in future. They need to see what the new guy can do in live action as a starter because if he's nit the guy they need to know before the next draft. Team,in my opinion, was not going to the playoffs with either guy so let's see what Peterman can do. You can't find out without playing him for several games.

The most revealing team stat to justify the QB switch: 70 receptions to all Bills WR's after 9 games....the #1 WR for many NFL teams already has close to 60 receptions at this point! For an alleged West Coast offense, this is beyond pathetic. After 38 career starts and 6.5 years in the league, Tyrod Taylor still processes the field too slowly and is risk-averse with the football to the point of absurdity. Taylor is currently the Bills' leading career rushing yards leader for a QB and also has the highest career passer rating for any Bill with more than 10 passing attempts. But his win-loss record as a starter is only 20-18. Without the benefit of a strong and opportunistic defense (something we apparently no longer have), his conservative game-managing style of play is worthless.

Many are doubting Peterman. Some are citing his status as a rookie, while others are referring to his lack of arm strength. I personally don't think Peterman is the long-term answer, but in his defense, the consensus among armchair internet scouts seemed to be that he was the most mentally NFL-ready QB of the 2017 class and that his arm was pro-caliber even if not elite. Regarding his mental readiness, I think the best people to evaluate that are the coaches who have been with Peterman since July. Regarding the arm strength issue, I think us Bills fans need to get over this idea that a cannon for an arm is a critical trait for a successful NFL QB who plays outdoors in the Northeast. I think this is a carryover mindset from the days when Jim Kelly passes routinely sliced through the heavy winds at Rich Stadium. 17 years of Tom Brady's reign of terror in the AFC East is proof enough for me that the mental aspect of the modern NFL QB position is much more important than arm strength. More proof: Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, JP Losman, EJ Manuel, and Cardale Jones....all known for elite arm strength but not much between the ears.

Beyond all this QB talk, it's worth noting that the Bills currently sit in sole possession of the 2nd Wild Card spot with at least a 1-game lead over the bottom 10 AFC teams. If the Bills beat the teams they are "supposed" to beat (Chargers, Colts, Dolphins twice) and lose to the good teams (Chiefs, Pats twice), they will finish 9-7 with an 80% chance of making the playoffs:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/upshot/buffalo-bills-nfl-playoff-picture.html#lac-buf-11=loss&kc-buf-12=win&buf-ne-13=loss&buf-ind-14=win&buf-mia-15=win&ne-buf-16=win&mia-buf-17=loss

Ah, but by now we all know how this story ends up... at least we have 4 picks within the first 64 of the 2018 draft to finally land a franchise QB!

There's a massive difference between not having a cannon arm, and having a noodle. Peterman does not have an NFL arm. He's like post-surgery Chad Pennington.

Holy Christ - it sure looked that way when I watched that video of his throws in garbage time against NOLA. It was jarring how zip-less the ball looked.

The more I think about this the more I dislike it. 

I know Tyrod isn't the long-term future and so does everyone else here, but Tyrod at QB gives us a pretty good chance to beat a team that's 3-6 and playing in a tiny building that will have more Bills fans than Chargers. I think Peterman gives us a very, very real chance at seeing a 40% completion percentage and 4 interceptions. 

I know this year isn't likely "the year", but even when we have a good team again, 5-2 is a hard start to get off to. And when you're not an elite team, sitting in a wild card spot and controlling your destiny and having a decent chance at the playoffs even if you get to 9-7, heading to play a 3-6 team, is not something you can be guaranteed by November 19th on any given year. See any team like the Ravens, Giants, the "yeah we definitely sometimes make the playoffs and make noise" teams. We gave ourselves the cushion of absorbing 2 horrendous losses in a row, and an opportunity for a bounceback, and are all but throwing in the towel on the opportunity. Still just a win away from the best drought record. It's a little disheartening, even if you're more convinced than me that we aren't winning more than 2 games the rest of the season. 

But I will watch, as there's a teensy tiny chance that this is a big moment in franchise history. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Regardless of what many say, both on this board and other venues, Tyrod is a horrible QB overall.

While people are busy pointing out the few, and I mean very few, pros of Tyrod, they blatantly ignore the cons. And the #1 con is the absence of a passing game.

Bring in the new kid I say. He can do better.

Someone said it best the other day. He's essentially a 17 in black jack

Regardless of what many say, both on this board and other venues, Tyrod is a horrible QB overall.

While people are busy pointing out the few, and I mean very few, pros of Tyrod, they blatantly ignore the cons. And the #1 con is the absence of a passing game.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Tyrod is limited. But he can be effective. And he is a horrible fit for a Dennison offence.

Tyrod is limited. But he can be effective. And he is a horrible fit for a Dennison offence.

I don't get this though, he has Benjamin and Matthews to throw to, but he never does.    

I do think they gave TT a fair shot and he didn't deliver.    Would have given him a game or two more though.

Ok, I didn't feel like multi-quoting.

So, regarding Tyrod.....

1. His long ball is non-existent

2. His accuracy is in the 55 to 64 range of ranking qb's

3. His "clutch" ability doesn't exist

4. He is an "out of the pocket" QB that severely under performs, out of the pocket.

5. He reads defenses poorly

6. He's nothing. Not nothing special mind you, but just.....nothing.

Time to move on from this error. There shouldn't even be a debate. Just move along imo.

Ok, I didn't feel like multi-quoting.

So, regarding Tyrod.....

1. His long ball is non-existent

2. His accuracy is in the 55 to 64 range of ranking qb's

3. His "clutch" ability doesn't exist

4. He is an "out of the pocket" QB that severely under performs, out of the pocket.

5. He reads defenses poorly

6. He's nothing. Not nothing special mind you, but just.....nothing.

Time to move on from this error. There shouldn't even be a debate. Just move along imo.

It's completely legitimate to think that benching him for a noodle arm rookie who struggled to hit 50% against 3rd string defenses in his largest sample sizes of play, who's going to throw 4 picks on sunday (it'll be tasty crow if I'm wrong so I'm comfortable saying it with such certainty) when we still have a shot at the best record during the drought is the wrong move, even if we want to move on from him when the season is done and understand he's not a franchise QB. Thus, there certainly should be a debate. It's not guaranteed to be the wrong move but this decision is about as 50/50 controversial as you can have at this point in a football season.