Darcy Regier is this team's problem

inkman

I blame Bush.

I was going to post is this a blame Bush type thing? I mean, I can blame Darcy or Larry for everything but I l feel there is enough distance now to move on. This is GMTM's team and he gets the accolades or the blame going forward imo.

Coach said 95 points this year right?

It looks as if Darcy literally screwed up from 06 to 09 then had ok drafts from there.

Zagrapan and Persson were his true screw ups, I'm not one to claim he should of known there were better players picked afterward, but 2 1st in a row that amounted to nothing..... that's downright sad.

From there he seemed to hit one or two ok players and the rest were complete wastes. Ristolainen is the best guy he drafted since the 05-06 season, and he has little competition. Myers started great, Ennis started great but are injury happy and have sunk from their high points as rookies/2nd year guys.

I saw that piece, but it struck me as a little lazy (although I didn't read until the end (ha!)). I didn't see an indication that Vogl ran the numbers of NHL games, points from the prospects, and then compared Regier's performance to other teams over that same period of time.

Some big misses, for sure. But isn't that fairly normal? Or nah?

It's normal. Most teams miss here and there. He missed in what? 2 years. That can happen.

The real issue is how bad Darcy got at drafting later round guys and his tendency to draft smaller forwards. I think we should than Kevin Devine for Risto and Probably McCabe

Darcy got us Larsson, McCabe, and Risto though so it's not all bad.

Darcy was still terrible, it must be said.

Even a blind monkey can find a nut, now and then.

Even when Regier did right, it was for the wrong reasons.  As I recall, one of his big motives in adding Risto to the team was Regier's desire to add a "Finn" to play with Leino.  

Thank goodness he added him - imagine how bad this team would be right now without him?   Can't get much worse really -  we're currently 28 out of 30 teams in the overall league standings.  This is a gutter team that's somewhat watchable,  as opposed to the outright trash of the previous 3 seasons.  But it's still a gutter team.  3rd year of GMTM at the helm, along with the "franchise big dollar coach" I would expect quite a bit better than what we're seeing.  

Even when Regier did right, it was for the wrong reasons. As I recall, one of his big motives in adding Risto to the team was Regier's desire to add a "Finn" to play with Leino.

Risto was picked because he's good at hockey. I don't buy giving Kevin Devine all the credit, either. Darcy was the GM, the Risto pick was his.

Darcy was bad at drafting forwards. He was ineffective and sat on his hands for way too long. He waited too long to make trades, which likely means he overvalued his guys. We don't have to make up stuff that he was bad at.

Even when Regier did right, it was for the wrong reasons. As I recall, one of his big motives in adding Risto to the team was Regier's desire to add a "Finn" to play with Leino.

Thank goodness he added him - imagine how bad this team would be right now without him? Can't get much worse really - we're currently 28 out of 30 teams in the overall league standings. This is a gutter team that's somewhat watchable, as opposed to the outright trash of the previous 3 seasons. But it's still a gutter team. 3rd year of GMTM at the helm, along with the "franchise big dollar coach" I would expect quite a bit better than what we're seeing.

Yep. Even a deaf squirrel can find a banana. :unsure:

Is Bylsma considered a "franchise big dollar coach"?

I think GMTM still would like to make a few more moves on defense.

Darcy got us Larsson, McCabe, and Risto though so it's not all bad.

Darcy was still terrible, it must be said.

If GMTM's first 10 years look anything like Darcy's first 10, they will tear down the Pegulaville sign and put up a ZFGville sign. Darcy was a very, very good GM. Just like Lindy, though, his time ran out.

Yep. Even a deaf squirrel can find a banana. :unsure:

Is Bylsma considered a "franchise big dollar coach"?

LOL -  well, I do say that with a degree of sarcasm.   :lol:   He is definitely expensive though - $3 million a year, which makes his salary higher than average (at least the known salaries).   

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches 

The memory of the DR years will haunt the fan base longer than the actual team.

He made some boneheaded moves, but his hands were tied for a good part of the time.  Just think of his 15 years here ... we had a cusp run, or two.  We had a crook that bankrupted the team, we had OSP that was hailed as a hero for saving the team and then he was know as a skin flint.  Black Sunday, or whatever.  Some good trades and some good drafts along with the bad.  And now we have Pegula and Murray after Nolan and Lafontaine ...

Cha, cha cha ...

I saw that piece, but it struck me as a little lazy (although I didn't read until the end (ha!)). I didn't see an indication that Vogl ran the numbers of NHL games, points from the prospects, and then compared Regier's performance to other teams over that same period of time.

Some big misses, for sure. But isn't that fairly normal? Or nah?

Excellent point. Vogl points out the two or three studs we missed out on, but that's the point; two or three players in an entire 30 team draft. So other GMs are whiffing too. What you want to know is if there is one organization that consistently finds more of those players. If there isn't one, then Vogl's argument is moot.

Blaming Darcy is easy and only partially (although mostly) correct. GMTM also traded away much of the depth to acquire his star young vets.

It was GMTM who traded away the young D Zadarov, Pysyk, and McNabb. Of Regier last 9 1st rd picks, GMTM has traded 5 (Myers, Zadorov, Armia, Grigorenko, and Pysyk (Regier also dumped his own pick of Kassian) plus high 2nd rd pick Compher.

If GMTM's first 10 years look anything like Darcy's first 10, they will tear down the Pegulaville sign and put up a ZFGville sign. Darcy was a very, very good GM. Just like Lindy, though, his time ran out.

I wasn't going to say * very, very good*, but his successes are on par with John Butler and Bill Polian. 

as in, "Close, but no cigar."

Yes, but to have teams like that again would be great as a fan.

Making the playoffs is not easy and takes good people. Getting deep into the playoffs for several years takes very good people.

Very, very good people win championships.

Edited by Woods-Racer

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.