Rasmus Ristolainen's very nice week

Randall Flagg

Can't argue that one. He has the dreaded potential, size, shot, offensive accuem and defensive nasty to do so. Shoeney the only one close on both O and D. But Risto has higher O potential. Housley best O Defenseman would take a lot to overcome that talent. Overall though Risto has the best combo of skills since Shoney.

Risto can't sing or play guitar like Schoeny!

Ramsey, Schoeny, Housley,  Korab/Hajt are the names he needs to surpass 

Corey Pronman a Hockey Writer for ESPN was asked on Reddit to describe Risto in light of the fact that most analytic types are down on him.

This is his response.

The biggest failing of public statistical analysis in the last 5 years has been a fade away from context/usage in their analysis in my opinion.

I've tweeted/written about several of these issues with regards to defensemen. There is a larger correlation between ES ice time and quality of competition, than ES ice time and ES Corsi. So either coaches are systematically playing the worst choices, or usage matters. Defensemen also don't tend to be the primary drivers of Corsi at ES.

To really appreciate a guy liks Ristolainen, deeper statistical analysis has to be done than simply look at his on-ice shot rate differential at ES. That's negligent analysis in my view.

EDIT: Rasmus is a star.

I wondered after last season if Risto was Myers part 2, but in watching him of late and his improvement, I'm beginning to come around to the idea that he is truly a Norris caliber D in the making.

We got to see him play against one of the finest D of the recent generation in Drew Doughty and I thought Risto was just as effective on the ice. I think Risto is, along with Jack, putting this team on his back. He was so involved in offense in the second period, that he put LA on their heals. Part of this I think has been the pairing with the steady, but well skating McCabe.

Unlike Myers who got his big contract and wasn't mature enough for the responsibility that came with it, Risto seems to thrive on the expectations. I guess when should have known this when he scored the Gold Medal goal in the World jrs near the net. He wants to be the leader of the team.

We may have to rethink the idea that this is Jack's team or Ryan's team. Maybe this is Risto's team?

I wondered after last season if Risto was Myers part 2, but in watching him of late and his improvement, I'm beginning to come around to the idea that he is truly a Norris caliber D in the making.

We got to see him play against one of the finest D of the recent generation in Drew Doughty and I thought Risto was just as effective on the ice. I think Risto is, along with Jack, putting this team on his back. He was so involved in offense in the second period, that he put LA on their heals. Part of this I think has been the pairing with the steady, but well skating McCabe.

Unlike Myers who got his big contract and wasn't mature enough for the responsibility that came with it, Risto seems to thrive on the expectations. I guess when should have known this when he scored the Gold Medal goal in the World jrs near the net. He wants to be the leader of the team.

We may have to rethink the idea that this is Jack's team or Ryan's team. Maybe this is Risto's team?

It's still O'Reilly's team & soon could be Eichel's. But Ristolainen & McCabe are looking to be leaders as well. Throw in Okposo & this team is not lacking in top end players that can/will lead in the future. That's huge. It wasn't just C that walked out that fateful day in '07; but the leadership as well. This team will have it in spades on the ice.

And there's a reason some of us wanted Risto signed for 8 years. Some guys have 'it.'

Risto can't sing or play guitar like Schoeny!

Ramsey, Schoeny, Housley, Korab/Hajt are the names he needs to surpass

But, we don't know if he can do City Mattress commercials.

Corey Pronman a Hockey Writer for ESPN was asked on Reddit to describe Risto in light of the fact that most analytic types are down on him.

This is his response.

The biggest failing of public statistical analysis in the last 5 years has been a fade away from context/usage in their analysis in my opinion.

I've tweeted/written about several of these issues with regards to defensemen. There is a larger correlation between ES ice time and quality of competition, than ES ice time and ES Corsi. So either coaches are systematically playing the worst choices, or usage matters. Defensemen also don't tend to be the primary drivers of Corsi at ES.

To really appreciate a guy liks Ristolainen, deeper statistical analysis has to be done than simply look at his on-ice shot rate differential at ES. That's negligent analysis in my view.

EDIT: Rasmus is a star.

Or one could simply watch him. We don't need to have a number tell us everything.

Risto is tied with McDavid, Voracek and Giroux for 2nd with 11 PP assists.

That's reaching for a positive stat. But still....................

Here are a couple of interesting stats from RJ and company. (These stats are entering the game last night).

1. 3 players have assisted on 30% of their teams goals. Karlsson, McDavid and..... RISTO!

2. The NYI were tied for 1st with 19g by the D, Buffalo is last at 2 (now 3).

Other interesting stats.

3. Risto is 3rd in assists and tied for 5th in pts by NHL D. Only Karlsson and Keith have more assists and add Shattenkirk and Hedman in pts. Byfuglien is tied.

4. RIsto has 2 goals. Both OT winners.

I think the debate about Risto's ascension to the NHL elite is about over.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Seems to me like Risto has taken another step.

Hope he can sustain it through 82.

He has, the points are nice, but still lots of room for growth in his own end.

He had the worst turnover I've seen this season last game, luckily Lehner bailed him out. It's those negative plays that need go away before we can mention him in any All-Star conversation.

He has, the points are nice, but still lots of room for growth in his own end.

He had the worst turnover I've seen this season last game, luckily Lehner bailed him out. It's those negative plays that need go away before we can mention him in any All-Star conversation.

That back pass to Bailey? Terrible.

It was remarkable in how frequent those plays have been.

It is worth pointing out that you see Subban and Karlsson and a few other all-stars do that all the time.

That back pass to Bailey? Terrible.

It was remarkable in how frequent those plays have been.

It is worth pointing out that you see Subban and Karlsson and a few other all-stars do that all the time.

There's room for some healthy criticism of Rasmus, and any player in the world.

But I remain convinced that the people hardest on him simply don't watch the best defensemen in the world play all that often.

Just last night, PK Subban (and Jamie Benn at the point in a different game two nights ago, but we're talking defensemen here) basically sprang the other team on a breakaway. Mike Weber would have played a better game than Shea Weber did, game 7 versus SJ this year. Karlsson gets walked by someone every single night.

We have the best under- 23 d-man in the world on this team. He's 21.

Ekblad predictably got worse as his situations got tougher. He didn't PK, he got cushy minutes with Campbell while Risto was doing everything with no one. Analysis at the time would predict that Risto gets better as his team and therefore situations do, while guys like Ekblad would regress a bit with the adjustment they've had to make. Risto has likely already played the most difficult hockey of his life, at 18 and 19 years old.

Edited by Randall Flagg

There's room for some healthy criticism of Rasmus, and any player in the world.

But I remain convinced that the people hardest on him simply don't watch the best defensemen in the world play all that often.

Just last night, PK Subban (and Jamie Benn at the point in a different game two nights ago, but we're talking defensemen here) basically sprang the other team on a breakaway. Mike Weber would have played a better game than Shea Weber did, game 7 versus SJ this year. Karlsson gets walked by someone every single night.

We have the best under- 23 d-man in the world on this team. He's 21.

Ekblad predictably got worse as his situations got tougher. He didn't PK, he got cushy minutes with Campbell while Risto was doing everything with no one. Analysis at the time would predict that Risto gets better as his team and therefore situations do, while guys like Ekblad would regress a bit with the adjustment they've had to make. Risto has likely already played the most difficult hockey of his life, at 18 and 19 years old.

Well put.

He's progressing nicely, his offensive skills are evident.

Still want to see better decisions with the puck in his own end. Sure all dmen turn the puck over now and then, but that one last night was egregious.

His next step is to clean up his own end and become a plus player while maintaining his offensive output. I think he can get there, maybe even this season.

I just want to say that Risto banging his stick for the puck in OT really bothered my. Okposo probably has the best hockey vision on the team. Does Risto really think he doesn't know he's there? All banging the stick did was let everyone else know he was there. It was a pretty green move.

I have to find the story of another vet who purposely didn't pass the puck to the new guy because he tapped his stick (for the life of me I can't remember who it was but they both were/ended up superstars).

I just want to say that Risto banging his stick for the puck in OT really bothered my. Okposo probably has the best hockey vision on the team. Does Risto really think he doesn't know he's there? All banging the stick did was let everyone else know he was there. It was a pretty green move.

I have to find the story of another vet who purposely didn't pass the puck to the new guy because he tapped his stick (for the life of me I can't remember who it was but they both were/ended up superstars).

Brad Richards was the vet, I'm pretty sure.

Well put.

He's progressing nicely, his offensive skills are evident.

Still want to see better decisions with the puck in his own end. Sure all dmen turn the puck over now and then, but that one last night was egregious.

His next step is to clean up his own end and become a plus player while maintaining his offensive output. I think he can get there, maybe even this season.

I get your cautious optimism and share a guarded approach to proclaiming any as having arrived, but I truly believe some of what you are seeing is a kid who is used to making choices between where to go with the puck, and those choices not being there.  He and McCabe are developing that it where each sees the same play and creates a safety valve for the other.  Work in progress yes, but promising. 

completely disagree. You want him to want the puck. To demand it. And Noah Hanifin did the exact same thing today and created a great scoring chance on his own. Communication is what good teams do imo.

I agree with Koomkie. Tapping your stick is not something you want to do when you're set up in the offensive zone. On this play, it was a rush during wide open 3 on 3. Risto banging his stick wasn't going to make JT somehow miraculously gain 4 strides on him. It did, however, ensure that Okposo saw him and executed.

Man what an amazing play from all 3 Sabres. O'Reilly started it with the beautiful stick check that neutrualized Tavares and caused him to lose his balance. Then Okposo carried it in and made the perfect play to get Risto the puck in the space that O'Reilly created. Then Risto with the sick finish. Awww yisss.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Sometimes calling for the puck, or letting the other team know you are in a threatening spot, might cause the other team some confusion and/or open up an opportunity for your teammate though, no?

Sometimes calling for the puck, or letting the other team know you are in a threatening spot, might cause the other team some confusion and/or open up an opportunity for your teammate though, no?

Right, and a good player will take that all into account in the heat of the moment and read the play before deciding what to do.  In this case, he knew he had an open Risto, he could see ROR was well covered, so he had two options:  Fire the puck toward the net and hope that it either found its way, ROR tipped it, or ROR got the rebound (which was a good option and what I thought he would do), or pass it back to the open player with a clear shot while there  was traffic in front of the goalie (which was the better option).  If Risto drew too much attention to himself, the defender on ROR might have tried to adjust back and might have been able to cover him, but that would have set up a low 2-on-1.  Either way, the way that play unfolded, every Sabre did the best they could have, given the situation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.