This is Jack's Team; Captaincy

WildCard

I really don't think who wears letters matters because leaders lead...but I find myself unreasonably interested in who is going to wear the letters going forward. I can't help it. I love our new core and want to trot them out front and center to the rest of league saying "These are our guys. Who you got?" It's dumb and inconsequential, but I don't care, it's fun.

Starting next year, regardless of whether Gionta and/or Gorges return, my letters would go to O'Reilly, Eichel, and Ristolainen. I'd still probably lean towards O'Reilly with the C, but there's at least (yea, that's right) 59 games left to get me to change my mind. 

I disagree here. Good leaders know how to follow and some will not lead unless they are specifically tasked with doing it. Personally I do not believe Jack is one of those ppl, I think he just leads. ROR on the other hand I think is. 

That said, I don't care who the captain is. Jack will be a C or an A 

So personally I think RoR should be our next captain. If we give him a letter I'd rather it be an A along with Risto. Jack should just focus on scoring.

I still don't like the choice of making Ovechkin the captain of the Capitals. He's their biggest cheerleader, but hasn't been their best leader. That's maybe finally started to change in the last season or two, but he's been their captain for how long? I guess with that long term contract though it was a safe pick for someone who wasn't going anywhere.

And McDavid being captain in Edmonton is ridiculous. Then again this is the same franchise whose had like 5 number one overall picks in the last few years and only now are starting to win some games. Probably due to McDavid. But captain? No he should just go out there and score.

I don't really think the leading goal scorer should be captain in general. I prefer captains to be your heart and soul guy.

That said, I'd be OK with it. The team certainly seems to have responded to his return. And as others have said, I think the players should vote. It's their team. If they vote Eichel so be it. 

Well we've all seen the emotional and performance high Eichel brings to this team now. Suffice to say I think it's pretty evident who's team this is, and who's the captain next season.

I mean, it's gotta be Des, right?

On a serious note though, thoughts?

Didn't True you and I have this conversation in August?  Im old and probably am confusing it with a discussion I had with my neighbor about cinch bugs.

Quick thought. What was this team like with ROR and no Jack vs the with Jack and ROR? Whose presence changed the team's attitude and who stepped up when the critical goal was needed last night. I love ROR, but this is now Jack's team.

We had that last year. Jack is the difference

Since the Eichel injury thread is closed and this isn't scrapbook material, I thought I'd put my thoughts regarding the ongoing injury situation here.

Jack was cleared to return to action.  If they'd have waited another week, another month, I think with this type of injury he's still going to be at risk of aggravating it. 

Is he at full speed?  No.  He's more than just speed though.  He still has his hands, he still has his shot, he still has his vision.  I think it can actually be good for his development to play with his speed impaired so that he can more consciously develop those other areas of his game.  As long as he's not at risk of a more permanent injury, and as long as he's willing to deal with the pain, I think it's good that he's out there. 

Jack at 80% effectiveness is still better than anyone they can call up from the Amerks.  If he needs a maintenance day off here or there, if he has to take an occasional game off, so be it.  Playing hobbled is going to force him to think his game through a little differently and expand his toolset.  I bet in the years to come he'll say he learned a lot about playing in the NHL in the period after coming back from the injury.

Even at a slower speed, even when he's laboring, Jack Eichel makes this team a better team.  He completes his line more effectively than anyone else can, to the effect that Buffalo has two true top lines.  It spreads opponents' teams a little thinner.  Sometimes Jack's line will be kept off the scoresheet, but chances are the ROR or even Larsson line is benefiting from the attention that Jack's line is getting, and they are chipping in goals.  Is Foligno a top-line playmaker?  No, but up against the other teams' lesser lines, he's starting to rack up some points.  If Jack isn't in the lineup, the Larsson line is playing top-6 minutes and getting top-6 attention, and not scoring near as much.

When he's playing, is Jack always the best player on the ice?  No, but his presence does ripple all the way through the lineup to make all the other lines that much better. 

As long as you can handle the pain, as long as you're not making the injury worse in a long term sense, play on Jack, because the team is much better with you than without you.

Since the Eichel injury thread is closed and this isn't scrapbook material, I thought I'd put my thoughts regarding the ongoing injury situation here.

Jack was cleared to return to action.  If they'd have waited another week, another month, I think with this type of injury he's still going to be at risk of aggravating it. 

Is he at full speed?  No.  He's more than just speed though.  He still has his hands, he still has his shot, he still has his vision.  I think it can actually be good for his development to play with his speed impaired so that he can more consciously develop those other areas of his game.  As long as he's not at risk of a more permanent injury, and as long as he's willing to deal with the pain, I think it's good that he's out there. 

Jack at 80% effectiveness is still better than anyone they can call up from the Amerks.  If he needs a maintenance day off here or there, if he has to take an occasional game off, so be it.  Playing hobbled is going to force him to think his game through a little differently and expand his toolset.  I bet in the years to come he'll say he learned a lot about playing in the NHL in the period after coming back from the injury.

Even at a slower speed, even when he's laboring, Jack Eichel makes this team a better team.  He completes his line more effectively than anyone else can, to the effect that Buffalo has two true top lines.  It spreads opponents' teams a little thinner.  Sometimes Jack's line will be kept off the scoresheet, but chances are the ROR or even Larsson line is benefiting from the attention that Jack's line is getting, and they are chipping in goals.  Is Foligno a top-line playmaker?  No, but up against the other teams' lesser lines, he's starting to rack up some points.  If Jack isn't in the lineup, the Larsson line is playing top-6 minutes and getting top-6 attention, and not scoring near as much.

When he's playing, is Jack always the best player on the ice?  No, but his presence does ripple all the way through the lineup to make all the other lines that much better. 

As long as you can handle the pain, as long as you're not making the injury worse in a long term sense, play on Jack, because the team is much better with you than without you.

Nice post.

Eichel IS struggling right now, but he still is making this team better. The biggest struggles seem IMHO that opponents are able to knock pucks away from him that normally are just out of their reach due to his speed & size & also that he isn't quite getting his stick on pucks he was stealing this preseason & in his 1st 2 games. When he either figures out where he can get the puck playing at 80-ish % or, better yet, gets his speed back, he won't be losing those pucks / not quite stealing them.

And even w/ all that, had Reinhart not hit a post, this game likely doesn't go to OT & both of them are getting a jolt of confidence back into their games. (Of course, Kane probably doesn't have a 2 goal game in that case either & Ristolainen doesn't have 1 either. Butterfly effect.)

Yeah, you think about the minute difference between Samson's shot not quite going in, and Risto's shot going in, both after heavy post hits.  They're both sniping; Risto got the puck luck.

Actually, was referring to Sam's post earlier in the shift that Kane cross checked the guy 15' away from the play that lead to the Eulers' go ahead pp. Had he not hit that post (cross bar?), it's very possible the Sabres arenursing a lead at the end rather than pulling Nillson.

Yes, I realize that.

I think we're just looking at it from slightly different angles is all, but the conclusion is the same.  An inch here or there and the game is quite a bit different.

Could say the same about the previous game; if one of those goalmouth scrambles results in a goal, the Sabres could have won that too.

Should a team have a captain who likely suffers fron ADHD, though?

I read it (twice) in the Oilers GDT.

Really this country and I would think our New President has it...  You can hyper focus with it...  Want to go ride bikes...

Really this country and I would think our New President has it...  You can hyper focus with it...  Want to go ride bikes...

Nothing like a little Aderol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.