OT-OHL Team Coming to Tonawanda?

Brawndo

A proposal by International Coliseums Company to build an arena with seating for 5-6 Thousand at the Spalding Fiber Site is being reviewed by the City.  

It is in very initial planning stages. 

Part of the proposal includes Don Luce Hockey attempting to bring an OHL Team and a Division I College Hockey to share the arena.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/15/developer-proposes-multi-purpose-events-center-tonawanda/

A similar plan in 2007 to bring a team to the same site was dismissed. 

Niagara plays in Dwyer Arena on campus and Canisius plays at HarborCenter. 

Perhaps a plan to have UB go D-1?

Edited by BRAWNDO

I like the idea. Wonder if it ever gets off the ground though. Typical of all of our Government at any level here in NYS. So we have this remediated site and turned down a couple non friendly proposals. This one looks good and we figure it will take a couple years to have an answer?? Disconnect. Typical of our area.

Tonawanda Icemen

I've always thought WNY would be a great location for an OHL tam.  Cheaper fun alternative to the NHL and the hockey is fun to watch.

Used to drive up to Niagara Falls and watch the old NF Flyers/Thunder play.  I watched Jay McKee before the Sabres drafted him!

Going to many Icedogs game, OHL hockey is a lot of fun. I have probably been to more Icedogs games this year then Sabres games I have watched this year (Thanks TP and Bell for getting rid of the games on TV in Niagara, and for TSN and Sportsnet for blacking out every other damn time they play and its on one of their multiple channels)

Might be cool to see a team end up closer to Niagara, starting last year the Hamilton Bulldogs came into the OHL and with the situation going on in Flint with the league and their management, they might be interested in relocating a team. 

• 6 months later...

From Zachary Zielonka

So there's an OHL showcase coming to Harborcenter this fall. Yes it's most likely WJC related, but there's been rumblings of a team too

Is this about the Don Luce Team or are the Pegula's looking at a team for HC?

Gotta be the Luce thing

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.