GDT: Pittsburgh at Buffalo, November 19, 2016, 7pm

Eleven

Very fun game to be at tonight.

There's a reason the Pens are defending champs. Just amazing how much talent they have. But, courtesy of Nilsson the Sabres snuck one out.

Sabres would pick it up for up to ~3 minutes at a pop, but Pittsburgh just kept coming back.

Impressed w/ the effort from the D & especially from Foligno. The play he drew the penalty in the neutral zone in the 2nd, he saved an almost certain goal. He intercepted a pass directed to a Crosby that was breaking towards the blue line & would have been flying in on a break away.

Was disappointed in Reinhart, but DB seemed to be double shifting him some, so the coach wasn't disappointed in him it would appear. & in fairness, drawing Malkin in your ~5th game at C is NOT an easy assignment.

Was worried Moulson had broken his hand. He flew down to dressing room & was holding the hand gingerly after taking that hard hit near the blue line early in the 2nd.

And it is very obvious watching him live that the ribs are still bothering Kane severely. Zero hits & maybe 2 wrist shots. It's noticeable on TV, but much moreso in the rink.

Agree w/ those that believe Nilsson has earned the role of #1. He's been playing great.

Now go out & beat the Johnny-less Flames on Monday. :beer:

LOL.

That green man has been really working hard for his money tonight.

Someone needs to eject him from the crowd.  He's just annoying.

He's standing up and making a human wall during play!

Someone dump a beer on him.

Do not waste a beer. EVER.

Dump your nachos on him of you must, what you suggest is alchol abuse and is not acceptable.

2 minutes and a game misconduct for you.

See!

Nilsson is a solid backup

He is. But didn't you also make him the starter? I do not believe Nilsson is a starter. I would however make sure he plays every fourth game or so and if the pattern continues make it every three games. 

Looks like the kids and Fedun want to make a name for themselves in Buffalo.

I think the thing is this:  The kids are alright.... for a few games.  They can hustle and provide energy because they are trying to make a name for themselves.  But I think after several games the grind of the NHL starts to get to them.  We've seen several of the young guys come up and look really good, maybe even contribute to the bottom line, but over the long haul, only Grant seems to be able to sustain it, but also note that he's only putting in 4th line minutes (even with the special teams play, about 11.5 minutes per game).  The rest seems to drop off after the adrenaline of making the big team wears off.

In a normal season (injury-wise), you can expect to see players called up for a few games here or there.  The Sabres so far this year are having to call up more players for longer stints than is ideal.

All is not lost though.  Even if the young guys are getting worn down a bit by the NHL pace, they're learning what the NHL is about and it will help them understand the work ethic needed to be a player in this league.

I'm trying to think of the tough times now as an investment in the future.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.