Is it the Sabres' Coach or the Players?

LGR4GM

rakish, I'm not sure if it's better or not, but dtmts.com is where I watch all game highlights now. You can't skip ahead in the video, so some patience is required, and they don't display the score so you can see the highlights not knowing who's going to win or when players might score.

thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for

Edited by rakish

He may not be a genius, but he is a very good coach. His systems work. We have the players in the system but due to maturity, and injuries we are not quite there yet. three out of 6 points on this swing is not bad.

I'm not basing my opinion on three road games, it's DD's entire body of work, including his success/failures with the Penguins. 

And I'm certainly aware that he is missing his most skilled offensive player and another talented top 6 winger. 

I get that he is saddled with a less than All Star D corps, too. 

I'm willing to give him a chance, certainly. But I need to be convinced he's gonna get us there. 

I would traditionally call this the "easy" part of the schedule. Next month we start playing teams that have high levels of recent success. I'm not comfortable rating games in football, but last season, we saw the western stretch of Hawks/Stars/Blues etc coming up, and we were worried, and the Sabres didn't win a single one of those games. If we keep stumbling through the games against teams that have been bottom feeders, I worry we're in draft mode when Eichel gets back.

You never know, though.

In regards to style of play....

I recall reading somewhere that Disco Dan had two systems for Pittsburgh, one for when Crosby or Malkin's line was on the ice, and another for when the 3rd and 4th lines are on the ice.  I'll have to pay attention to ROR's line next game and see if they are playing a possession game while the rest of the team plays dump and chase.

In regards to style of play....

I recall reading somewhere that Disco Dan had two systems for Pittsburgh, one for when Crosby or Malkin's line was on the ice, and another for when the 3rd and 4th lines are on the ice. I'll have to pay attention to ROR's line next game and see if they are playing a possession game while the rest of the team plays dump and chase.

X posted about that before! I miss him.

I would traditionally call this the "easy" part of the schedule.

Not this year man. We're getting hosed on our early season schedule. I don't recall this before. Open season at home with one game and go on western Canada roadie followed by coming home without a game and hitting the road followed by a couple quick games at home and going out west again. This is no easy schedule.

We've should make it a habit here.

Some do I'm afraid lol

On the subject of how good (or not yet good) are the Sabres, one of the things I keep coming back to is the Florida Panthers.

It may be somewhat misplaced, but I recall that there was a fan/promoter of that franchise around here (it wasn't Liger, was it? JJ?) who was talking them up yearsa go as an up-and-comer (oh, how I HATE the short form of that term) even while they sorta stunk and were barely even a bubble team. And there was some ribbing given for that. Anyway - now look at them. Fairly entrenched as a really good team.

But it took time. More time than I think many anticipated. There seems to have been a period of time when, looking at their roster, you'd have thought they were already good. But they weren't. And now they are.

I'm disappointed that Bylsma thinks one of the issues is Sam not providing enough for our offense.

He's not wrong, Sam needs to do more but he was on a line with Okposo and ROR, he's gonna always have the puck less with them unless he was their center. Bylsma is right Reinhart needs to do more, Bylsma is wrong because he put Sam in a position where his offensive skills were not going to shine. Edited by LGR4GM

I'm disappointed that Bylsma thinks one of the issues is Sam not providing enough for our offense.

You are reading his comments incorrectly.  That quote is a straight "Good, now do it better." coach technique. 

It's funny, last year, albeit near the end of November, we had a discussion on how bad the Sabres were.  I remember going back and looking at how difficult the schedule was then.  

This year is the same thing.

Look at who the Sabres have played.  They have played

Montreal - 4-0-1 - first place in the Eastern Conference

Edmonton - 5-1-0 - first place in the Western Conference

Vancouver - 4-1-1 - third place in the Western Conference

Calgary - 1-4-1 - 13th in the Western Conference

They beat Edmonton.  The Calgary game was an officiating comedy routine.

I have no paranoia about this team.  They are missing two of their top 6.

Time to relax and see how a few more games shake out.

But it took time. More time than I think many anticipated. There seems to have been a period of time when, looking at their roster, you'd have thought they were already good. But they weren't. And now they are.

Bear in mind that Steve Yzerman didn't win a Cup until his 14th season in the NHL.  I think patience is in order here.  Step No. 278 is hoisting the Stanley Cup and the Sabres on on Step No. 6.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.