GDT: Buffalo @ Vancouver, 10:00 PM ET, 10-20-2016

WildCard

Ouch on disingenuous. It feels like my mom just edited my 4th grade paper.

But it did ring of dishonesty. How could anybody blame the tank while not even mentioning Eichel on the shelf?

As for Eichel not being at McDavid's level, that's true. But Eichel will still be an elite no BS top line center. With the supporting cast of O'Reilly and Reinhart down the middle, there'd have to be some sort of disaster for us not to become a contender in 2/3 years.

Ouch on disingenuous. It feels like my mom just edited my 4th grade paper.

But it did ring of dishonesty. How could anybody blame the tank while not even mentioning Eichel on the shelf?

As for Eichel not being at McDavid's level, that's true. But Eichel will still be an elite no BS top line center. With the supporting cast of O'Reilly and Reinhart down the middle, there'd have to be some sort of disaster for us not to become a contender in 2/3 years.

...or maybe I just don't think that Eichel is the kind of transformative player that lifts a team out of a tank.

Like many children who think they know everything, you need to internalize the fact that those who disagree with you aren't necessarily bigots or liars or scoundrels.

...or maybe I just don't think that Eichel is the kind of transformative player that lifts a team out of a tank.

Like many children who think they know everything, you need to internalize the fact that those who disagree with you aren't necessarily bigots or liars or scoundrels.

Eichel alone, maybe not. But the supporting cast around him isn't Edmonton 4 years ago.

And freeman, you are the last adult I would ever accept that advice from. Please abstain from dispensing to me your wisdom.

From the guy who considered a post calling a whole group of posters "hormonal" to be incisive...

Do you think calling someone "hormonal" is on the same level of offensiveness as calling him/her dishonest?

Maybe. Depends if implicit in the comment is like a woman ...since ya know, that's typically the type of thing that gets associated with menstruating or pregnant women.

But that's also completely besides the point. Regardless of the true meaning of the phrase, it falls well short of being an incisive observation unless you're using incisive as shorthand for "a point of view that agrees with mine".

Maybe. Depends if implicit in the comment is like a woman ...since ya know, that's typically the type of thing that gets associated with menstruating or pregnant women.

But that's also completely besides the point. Regardless of the true meaning of the phrase, it falls well short of being an incisive observation unless you're using incisive as shorthand for "a point of view that agrees with mine".

I certainly did not mean it in the "like a woman" context.

And how is it beside the point?  Look at your post, including the parts of my post that you bolded.  Was your point in making your post that I misused the word "incisive" (leaving alone the fact that I was obviously joking in using that word)?  Was it not to equate my (indirectly) calling a group of posters "hormonal" (ironically enough, because they were panicking after an early-season loss) with qwk calling me dishonest?

I certainly did not mean it in the "like a woman" context.

And how is it beside the point? Look at your post, including the parts of my post that you bolded. Was your point in making your post that I misused the word "incisive" (leaving alone the fact that I was obviously joking in using that word)? Was it not to equate my (indirectly) calling a group of posters "hormonal" (ironically enough, because they were panicking after an early-season loss) with qwk calling me dishonest?

It certainly didn't read like you were joking. And your last sentence here raises doubt on that front despite protestations to the contrary. Regardless, seeing as I thought you were serious in your compliment of whoever's post (jsb, maybe?), my point was simply that you don't exactly have much ground to stand on when trying to play the patron saint of forum decorum.

Yes, I'm proud of that little rhyme. Should I be? Eeeehhhhhhh :unsure:

Children, children... well educated children please back to the task at hand evaluating Sabres with and without Eichel... stop the ADD insult sidetrack. Do you think Jack is enough of a difference maker to raise the Sabres outta the doldrums and ifnot does having him out for significant amount of time increase the Sabres lottery chances of either through committee of high draft choices or hitting on one that can?

It certainly didn't read like you were joking. And your last sentence here raises doubt on that front despite protestations to the contrary. Regardless, seeing as I thought you were serious in your compliment of whoever's post (jsb, maybe?), my point was simply that you don't exactly have much ground to stand on when trying to play the patron saint of forum decorum.

Yes, I'm proud of that little rhyme. Should I be? Eeeehhhhhhh :unsure:

Well, we're well into beating a dead horse here, but to be clear, I did indeed compliment his post, because I was agreeing with him that a certain group of posters was panicking.  I was joking in using the word "incisive" because that seems to me to be a bit over-generous when describing his use of the word "hormonal." 

Having said that, I still think forum decorum (which really isn't bad, btw) isn't breached by telling posters that they are panicking -- i.e. reacting emotionally, and not rationally, to an early loss and demanding a new coach -- but it is breached by calling someone dishonest.  I.e. I think "you're reacting emotionally and not rationally" is not on the same level as "you're lying."  The first implies a mistake; the 2nd implies intentional wrongdoing.

Well more talent is always better than less talent.  But I think Jack is a difference maker.  Him being out exposes the fact that we do not have the top line depth to ice 2 legit scoring lines.  At the end of last year, when ROR was hurt, he and same stepped up and lead this team. I think Nylander will a similar asset.  The more weapons the better.

But it also requires that those weapons are used properly.  Where I see an potential issue, is trying to make creative skilled players conform to a system instead of creating a system to get the most of creative skilled players.  When Jack and Kane get back, we will have balance across the top 9.  Right now, we have our 3 best offensive players on the same line. Distribution of those weapons makes the team better and an unlikely lottery winner.  Jmho.

I would add that the thing that impresses me the most about the Leafs under Babcock right now, is that he is not handcuffing his young skill guys.  He knows that they are bad defensively and their only chance of winning is through outpacing the opponent on the offensive end.  His system of quick short passes, cycling and shooting as a pass are allowing the young guys to develop their offensive talent in the bigs while being patient about developing the other side.  He is playing the long game, and is as much fun to watch as Jack and Sam late last year.  

Edited by 3putt

This was the emptiest I've seen the stadium in Vancouver. It was also a snoozer of a road game. If I'd have been on Eastern time I doubt I'd have stayed awake.

The Canucks started the game with a video "Making NHL history!" about their first three victories. Good job, guys.

The Sabres look good when McCabe, Kulikov, or Ristolainen rushes the puck up ice. This needs to happen a little bit more.

Baptiste got his first goal and has big-league wheels. But he needs to stay on his skates more.

Speaking of being off their skates… Foligno is going to get a reputation as a diver, which would be odd for a big guy.

Speaking of cheapskates, George the Janitor is so cheap, his wallet has an unlisted pocket. Am I too hip for the room?

The Canucks fans were livid at the refs most of the night. Then, the horrible calls started to go their way. Thank yous were shouted and laughter was prominent. Risto's hooking call was silly.

For the doom and gloom reading through the board here… the Canucks fans certainly didn't feel comfortable during the game. Sure, they scored a couple goals, but they really had very little to cheer about… With the exception of Markstrom. He played a whale of a game.

The Canucks didn't keep the Sedins away from Larsson despite last change. Until the third period. Then they started playing matchups.

Larsson gets hacked a lot because he's so frustrating and annoying. But in running Markstrom, I finally saw him do something reckless/dirty that should have had the Canucks trying to rip his head off. They did take a penalty throwing an elbow at him later.

The Ennis-Girgs-Moulson reunited line was decent. Hopefully, they can alleviate some of the burden on O'Reilly and co. O'Reilly cannot go 25 minutes a night. Let Girgensons play more minutes.

Okposo is a bull. O'Reilly looks a bit off (still rusty from the back spasms?) and Reinhart had a pretty brutal homecoming with a bunch of bad passes, but was still awarded a third star of the game. Our top line was trying to make the pretty pass a few times instead of shooting.

McCabe is becoming pretty good -- and made three great plays on that one rush. The pass block, the goal save, and the diving stick check to remove the threat.

And the Canucks fans agree, add Eichel and Kane to our lineup and this game and our team look very different.

This was the emptiest I've seen the stadium in Vancouver. It was also a snoozer of a road game. If I'd have been on Eastern time I doubt I'd have stayed awake.

The Canucks started the game with a video "Making NHL history!" about their first three victories. Good job, guys.

The Sabres look good when McCabe, Kulikov, or Ristolainen rushes the puck up ice. This needs to happen a little bit more.

Baptiste got his first goal and has big-league wheels. But he needs to stay on his skates more.

Speaking of being off their skates… Foligno is going to get a reputation as a diver, which would be odd for a big guy.

Speaking of cheapskates, George the Janitor is so cheap, his wallet has an unlisted pocket. Am I too hip for the room?

The Canucks fans were livid at the refs most of the night. Then, the horrible calls started to go their way. Thank yous were shouted and laughter was prominent. Risto's hooking call was silly.

For the doom and gloom reading through the board here… the Canucks fans certainly didn't feel comfortable during the game. Sure, they scored a couple goals, but they really had very little to cheer about… With the exception of Markstrom. He played a whale of a game.

The Canucks didn't keep the Sedins away from Larsson despite last change. Until the third period. Then they started playing matchups.

Larsson gets hacked a lot because he's so frustrating and annoying. But in running Markstrom, I finally saw him do something reckless/dirty that should have had the Canucks trying to rip his head off. They did take a penalty throwing an elbow at him later.

The Ennis-Girgs-Moulson reunited line was decent. Hopefully, they can alleviate some of the burden on O'Reilly and co. O'Reilly cannot go 25 minutes a night. Let Girgensons play more minutes.

Okposo is a bull. O'Reilly looks a bit off (still rusty from the back spasms?) and Reinhart had a pretty brutal homecoming with a bunch of bad passes, but was still awarded a third star of the game. Our top line was trying to make the pretty pass a few times instead of shooting.

McCabe is becoming pretty good -- and made three great plays on that one rush. The pass block, the goal save, and the diving stick check to remove the threat.

And the Canucks fans agree, add Eichel and Kane to our lineup and this game and our team look very different.

Thanks for the rundown. I listened to the game and 5 on 5 for at least the first half of the game I rarely heard a sabres name. Sounded like the nucks were in full control of puck possession. Started to even up some after that. Heard the too many men call was bogus but nary a word from the nucks play by play guys about that. Didn't expect to but...they were complimentary at times of sabres players. I hate listening to the game on radio.

The Sabres look good when McCabe, Kulikov, or Ristolainen rushes the puck up ice. This needs to happen a little bit more...

Damn man, great in-person scouting report. Thanks.

And couldn't agree more with each observation.

I'm hoping the team will use the long break and return home as a sort of reset. They can look back at this odd short, early-season western road trip as nothing more than a false start. I think our top 3 will only get stronger (especially with ROR getting some wind and Ok getting more time) and along with it, our PP1 will start flowing like in Edmonton. Depth is the issue obviously but we have the smarts and physicality to keep our heads above water before help arrives. Long season ahead. 

Here's to some optimism in a sea of doubt. 

I fell asleep for the 3rd,the game was just so Damn boring, I was sad to see we lost, we could have stole 1 from the nucks and gotten 4 outta 6 which would have been great,especially letting the west get the extra points.

Can't be doing that in the division games

I did not fall asleep but wish I did. Boring I can l live with for a roadie trip. But feck me if they lose four of the next five lets say. I quit HF Boards a long time ago, I don't ever want to quit SS. But the pitchforks will win at that point. And FYI, I'm all in with Luke Richardson previously and going forward if they choose to dump the second best coach available for a never coached in the NHL type guy. 

TRUMP

Love how some boomers now default to a generational divide in argument. The fact you bring up bigots/liars/scoundrels is quite telling. 

So I watched the third period yesterday.  It hadn't made sense to me why Reinhart, a skater with no points in the game, was the third star.  Now it does.  He was a force.

Surprised to see he was third star. Maybe a little home town love? Definitely got better as the game wore on but still don't even think he was best player on his line. Happy to hear your observation of him being a force though. I know Mouls has been solid, but I'd like to see Sam in front of goalie a bit more on PP (him not front and center just another indirect impact of Eich's absence).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.