GDT: Buffalo @ Vancouver, 10:00 PM ET, 10-20-2016

WildCard

Well, Sabres are 1 win and 3 losses now (1 in OT)      Zero offensive contribution in the first 4 games from either Gorges or Bogosian (0 goals, 0 points).  8 penalty minutes already for that idiot Gorges thru 4 games, vs 4 total for Risto and Bogo (2 minutes on average per game!)   And that too many men on the ice penalty was just ridiculous!  I mean, it wasn't even close!  And that loss of 2 minutes in the last 3 of the game really hurt the Sabres' chance of tying the game.

Looks like a repeat of previous years to me;  again, too much dead wood from previous years that Murray has left in the lineup.    

Well, Sabres are 1 win and 3 losses now (1 in OT)      Zero offensive contribution in the first 4 games from either Gorges or Bogosian (0 goals, 0 points).  8 penalty minutes already for that idiot Gorges thru 4 games, vs 4 total for Risto and Bogo (2 minutes on average per game!)   And that too many men on the ice penalty was just ridiculous!  I mean, it wasn't even close!  And that loss of 2 minutes in the last 3 of the game really hurt the Sabres' chance of tying the game.

Looks like a repeat of previous years to me;  again, too much dead wood from previous years that Murray has left in the lineup.    

And now we get to the reason that many of us disagreed with the tank:  it usually doesn't work.  Teams can't stink for an extended period, then get a couple of high draft picks, swing a couple of trades, and flip the switch into contender status.

The Sabres are 1-3, with losses to 3 likely non-playoff teams (the Habs w/o Price are decidedly non-playoff).  If we soberly assess their odds of making the playoffs right now, we have to admit that they are -- what?  25%?  15%?

The most likely outcome appears to be 10th-13th place in the EC and out of the playoffs again.  And then what?  Hope for a FA addition this summer that is a major difference-maker?  We're running out of cap space.  Hope Risto, Lehner, Eichel and Reino become real NHL stars?  Hope!  Change!  Tank!  High picks!

Many drank the intoxicating tank Kool-Aid.  We're now entering the hangover period.  Let's hope it doesn't last 5 years.  But it really freaking might.

And now we get to the reason that many of us disagreed with the tank:  it usually doesn't work.  Teams can't stink for an extended period, then get a couple of high draft picks, swing a couple of trades, and flip the switch into contender status.

The Sabres are 1-3, with losses to 3 likely non-playoff teams (the Habs w/o Price are decidedly non-playoff).  If we soberly assess their odds of making the playoffs right now, we have to admit that they are -- what?  25%?  15%?

The most likely outcome appears to be 10th-13th place in the EC and out of the playoffs again.  And then what?  Hope for a FA addition this summer that is a major difference-maker?  We're running out of cap space.  Hope Risto, Lehner, Eichel and Reino become real NHL stars?  Hope!  Change!  Tank!  High picks!

Many drank the intoxicating tank Kool-Aid.  We're now entering the hangover period.  Let's hope it doesn't last 5 years.  But it really freaking might.

dear god, am i reading a Bills thread? it's four games with three of them on a west-coast swing. maybe get a bigger sample size. 

Considering 2 of the Tank assets we got are not even playing this seems like a false conclusion to reach. In fact I flat out reject it. Kane and Eichel both are not in the lineup. They both could have easily turned the tables on either of the last 2 games. 

It is the first week of the season. Everyone needs a deep breath and a hug. Even playoff teams throughout the season will go 1-2-1 at some point. I bet Pittsburgh did last year. 

I agree that it's early.  But history shows that when bubble teams fail early on to bank points that are very bankable, it generally comes back to bite them.

Here's a positive note:  I went to bed before the 3rd period, but in the 2nd period, Zemgus looked better to me than he has in over a year, and the Zemgus-Moulson-Ennis line created a number of good chances.  In an ideal world, that line will start burying those chances and emerge as a respectable 2nd scoring line until Jackie boy and Evander return.

I will feel much better if they beat Philly, which is always good for the soul.

I agree that it's early.  But history shows that when bubble teams fail early on to bank points that are very bankable, it generally comes back to bite them.

Here's a positive note:  I went to bed before the 3rd period, but in the 2nd period, Zemgus looked better to me than he has in over a year, and the Zemgus-Moulson-Ennis line created a number of good chances.  In an ideal world, that line will start burying those chances and emerge as a respectable 2nd scoring line until Jackie boy and Evander return.

I will feel much better if they beat Philly, which is always good for the soul.

yes, but you're saying bank points that are very bankable. VAN is undefeated (regardless if they had a backup in net). how can anyone possibly know how any other team is going to perform this year based on 4-5 games? who even knows what's 'bankable' at this point?

Aside from Calgary, the other three teams we've played are above .500(5-0-0; 3-0-1; 2-1-1), and everyone's decided to dismiss them as 'non playoff teams'.  

Edited by RonHextallsShoulderPads

And now we get to the reason that many of us disagreed with the tank: it usually doesn't work. Teams can't stink for an extended period, then get a couple of high draft picks, swing a couple of trades, and flip the switch into contender status.

The Sabres are 1-3, with losses to 3 likely non-playoff teams (the Habs w/o Price are decidedly non-playoff). If we soberly assess their odds of making the playoffs right now, we have to admit that they are -- what? 25%? 15%?

The most likely outcome appears to be 10th-13th place in the EC and out of the playoffs again. And then what? Hope for a FA addition this summer that is a major difference-maker? We're running out of cap space. Hope Risto, Lehner, Eichel and Reino become real NHL stars? Hope! Change! Tank! High picks!

Many drank the intoxicating tank Kool-Aid. We're now entering the hangover period. Let's hope it doesn't last 5 years. But it really freaking might.

Now who's being hormonal?

Though I don't think Murray exactly had a banner offseason, the roster (yes, even with an injured Eichel and Kane) is better than it has shown. The problem is the coach, not the tank.

yes, but you're saying bank points that are very bankable. VAN is undefeated (regardless if they had a backup in net). how can anyone possibly know how any other team is going to perform this year based on 4-5 games? who even knows what's 'bankable' at this point?

Aside from Calgary, the other three teams we've played are above .500(5-0-0; 3-0-1; 2-1-1), and everyone's decided to dismiss them as 'non playoff teams'.  

Well, Vancouver was picked by many real NHL observers to be bottom-5 in the NHL, Montreal was lousy last year without Price, and Calgary was lousy too -- and the Sabres blew 2 third-period leads against them.

They were not a bubble team last year.  You and others projected your desire for them to be a bubble team this year onto them. Your and others disappointment is based on those projections.  The team finished outside looking in, added 2 and lost 2 before the season started.  Get Eichel and Kane back and they will be better.  We will know if they are a bubble team at the end of the season.

Did you know that you're brilliant?

I know. Not that post though. I was reaching for something. Maybe Aud got it. Not sure. It was an homage.

I like this nfreeman. I think you can go farther in what tanking sows. The loser's mentality. That's a tough stain to get out. Cue a God Blessing of Mike Weber from the late, great Ghost.

i guess i didnt realize how much the Sabres would struggle without Eichel... though Ennis is starting to find his legs and Grigs and Molson seem to be playing better. To me they still need another puck carrier.... Risto seems to be stepping back a bit and Franson despite his size is not there. Sabres are lacking a forward other than Foligno who can score and have size (moxie)and speed.. Was hoping Fasching would... it seems all the young guys called up play a little soft. Not sure if is the bright lights, Baptiste even but jury is way out yet... any others in Roch have potential?

Edited by North Buffalo

i guess i didnt realize how much the Sabres would struggle without Eichel... though Ennis is starting to find his legs and Grigs and Molson seem to be playing better. To me they still need another puck carrier.... Risto seems to be stepping back a bit and Franson despite his size is not there. Sabres are lacking a forward other than Foligno who can score and have size (moxie)and speed.. Was hoping Fasching would... it seems all the young guys called up play a little soft. Not sure if is the bright lights, Baptiste even but jury is way out yet... any others in Roch have potential?

The thing is just for once, one time, like every other GD team in the in NHL, I want just 1 player to step up and surprise with how good they are. Instead we get a mediocrity sundae covered in "ahh nuts" and drizzled in disappointment. 

As for "This is why we were opposed to the tank" Yikes.

You and others are probably right that I am jumping the gun here.  But after years of misery and a summer of hopenchange, we are looking hard at 1-4  to start the season.  That is a poop sandwich, no matter how you slice it. 

And while some here think that all we need is the right fancystats-based coach to turn the Sabres into a contender, I continue to believe that once the stench of losing permeates a franchise, it takes a Jim Kelly or a Connor McDavid or a Bill Parcells (or, perhaps, Mike Babcock) to eradicate it and right the ship -- i.e. it takes a commodity so precious and rare as to make it foolish to rely on the slim possibility of obtaining it.  And when that commodity doesn't arrive -- which is usually the case -- you're just nowhere for a very, very long time.

You and others are probably right that I am jumping the gun here. But after years of misery and a summer of hopenchange, we are looking hard at 1-4 to start the season. That is a poop sandwich, no matter how you slice it.

And while some here think that all we need is the right fancystats-based coach to turn the Sabres into a contender, I continue to believe that once the stench of losing permeates a franchise, it takes a Jim Kelly or a Connor McDavid or a Bill Parcells (or, perhaps, Mike Babcock) to eradicate it and right the ship -- i.e. it takes a commodity so precious and rare as to make it foolish to rely on the slim possibility of obtaining it. And when that commodity doesn't arrive -- which is usually the case -- you're just nowhere for a very, very long time.

I don't think it's fair to say a fancystats coach. Byslma is into analytics, he just doesn't seem to draw the right conclusions. People are clamoring for a good coach.

One of the main reasons for the tank was to acquire gamebreaking talents, and our future superstar is on the bench. So criticizing the tank when our prize for tanking isn't even on the ice feels disengenuous.

You and others are probably right that I am jumping the gun here.  But after years of misery and a summer of hopenchange, we are looking hard at 1-4  to start the season.  That is a poop sandwich, no matter how you slice it. 

And while some here think that all we need is the right fancystats-based coach to turn the Sabres into a contender, I continue to believe that once the stench of losing permeates a franchise, it takes a Jim Kelly or a Connor McDavid or a Bill Parcells (or, perhaps, Mike Babcock) to eradicate it and right the ship -- i.e. it takes a commodity so precious and rare as to make it foolish to rely on the slim possibility of obtaining it.  And when that commodity doesn't arrive -- which is usually the case -- you're just nowhere for a very, very long time.

Or a Jack Eichel who isn't even playing. 

The thing is just for once, one ###### time, like every other GD team in the in NHL, I want just 1 player to step up and surprise with how good they are. Instead we get a mediocrity sundae covered in "ahh nuts" and drizzled in disappointment. 

The problem is that for some people around here the only topping they have is "ahh nuts" and anything less than walking on water is mediocre.

I don't think it's fair to say a fancystats coach. Byslma is into analytics, he just doesn't seem to draw the right conclusions. People are clamoring for a good coach.

One of the main reasons for the tank was to acquire gamebreaking talents, and our future superstar is on the bench. So criticizing the tank when our prize for tanking isn't even on the ice feels disengenuous.

Or a Jack Eichel who isn't even ###### playing. 

Qwk -- I'm hoping you meant "premature" or "half-baked" here, as your word (even when spelled correctly) implies dishonesty.

In any case, the 2 of you make a more-than-fair point -- IF you can reasonably believe that Jackie boy is on the same level as those other dudes.  I kinda doubt it, and the evidence we have points much more to a potential all-star-level player than to a Crosby-McDavid generational talent, but certainly the jury's still out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.