Buffalo Sabres top 50 of all time

Hoss

Buffalo Sabres Top 50  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the tenth best player in Sabres history?

• Craig Ramsay
    • Ryan Miller
    • Jim Schoenfield
    • Rene Robert

So Mogilny vs PLF for the second poll? I'm thinking we'll do up to four players per poll so if others think somebody else should be on that list for third let me know.

If not that poll will decide 3rd and 4th.

Also: yes, ONLY their body of work as Sabres.

Mogilny was an excellent player, but one season is not a career. He never scored for the Sabres other then that one season. I don't think his Sabres career is even close to as influencial on the team as Andreychuk or Housley or Martin or Gare or even Robert. I'd put below all those guys with Hawerchuk.

Well, he was over a point per game for 4/5 of his other seasons here...

Best Sabre in history, or the best player to have been a Sabre.

Because Perreault is the first and Hasek is the second.

Gare, Martin and Schoenfeld are all ahead of Mogilny.

I'm OK with Lafontaine at three, but my choice is Rico.

I disagree. Hasek's most dominant years were as a Sabre. He was the best player to have been a Sabre AND the best Sabre.

Andreychuk 804 points in 834 games over 12 years (including a his one off season late in his career)

Mogilny 444 pts in 381 games over 6 years.

I don't think it's arguable who had a greater impact on the Sabres; Big Dave hands down.

Sure, but it depends on how you look at it. Criteria is subjective. Best could mean talent, or impact, depending who you ask.

I disagree. Hasek's most dominant years were as a Sabre. He was the best player to have been a Sabre AND the best Sabre.

Sure, but it depends on how you look at it. Criteria is subjective. Best could mean talent, or impact, depending who you ask.

Hasek's best years', his MVP and Vezina years were in Buffalo. He won more individual awards then any other Sabre. He was the greatest Sabre and it's not even close. I love Gilbert as I said. He and that great Sabres team formed my love for hockey that has lastest nearly 50 years, but Hasek is the best.

As to Big Dave vs Mogilny, Dave was a great scorer for us for 12 years and has Mogilny stat equal or better all but the one year. He is second in points and assists and 3rd in goals for the franchise. I think the stats don't support Mogilny's candidacy as a top 5 Sabre. At best he is 6th behind Pat, Housley and Big Dave. I'd also place him behind Rico. Fyi Rico is 2nd in goals 3rd in points.

One other note, if you are looking at talent then Turgeon would be top 10 and I'll be surprised if he make the top 40 on this list. Are we putting ROR, Eichel and Reinhart on this list after one year?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

PLF, Andreychuk, Rico and Mogilny in the next poll.

What about Wowie?

Surprised as we move the discussion to #4 that Mike Ramsey isn't getting any mentions. Not flashy at all, but their best stay at home D-man by far.

I love Big Mike and think he is our 2nd best D after Housley and certainly a top 10 player.

What about Wowie?

I love Big Mike and think he is our 2nd best D after Housley and certainly a top 10 player.

Stephane Richer says thanks for all the primary assists on his goals in '89.

Wimpley should never have played D 5-on-5 as a kid. (And IMHO, even after he grew up. See note above from SR. ;))

Difference between favorite and best

Exactly why I voted Hasek.

The man is either the best goaltender in history or second best, depending on how you feel about Tretiak.  He certainly is the best ever to play in the NHL.  He's the best player the Sabres ever had or will have.

LaFontaine's healthy time here was short, but while he was healthy, he was every bit as dynamic to watch as Perreault.  The year Lemieux came back from cancer treatments and passed Lafontaine for the overall points lead was amazing.  Every bit as amazing as Hasek's best years.

Lafontaine played the game the way Evander Kane does, with no regards for his well being.  But with more skill and awareness and less size and strength.

LaFontaine and Mogilny will forever be my favorite combo on ice.

For his first five or six seasons Rico was the best left winger and maybe the best pure goal scorer in the league.

Other than Hasek, has any other Sabre been two-time first team all-star?

His star faded early but the fact he's not in the hall of fame is a crime.

A refresher:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Martin

For his first five or six seasons Rico was the best left winger and maybe the best pure goal scorer in the league.

Other than Hasek, has any other Sabre been two-time first team all-star?

His star faded early but the fact he's not in the hall of fame is a crime.

A refresher:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Martin

I think very highly of Rico and I'm glad you're carrying his torch. Yes to best LW and pure scorer thoughts.

At three, however, I have a different emphasis. I claim no proof. I believe Patty could make others great, regardless of who they were. I view Rico as finishing great and taking advantage of who he was with. There's nothing wrong with that. Gil made Robert an All Star. The All Star Rico flourished. I think Gil made Rico and René the best they could be.

Rico, with Girgensons, declines a bit. Stafford, with Patty, ascends a bit. Both Rico and Patty were awesome.

Rico is NHL HOF, no doubt.

Perhaps I'm valuing the line mates and the situation, and marking Rico down a notch, while viewing Patty as great regardless of line mates and the situation.

I'm smiling and remembering, for the old timers, talk and articles about Kevin O'Shea and how he was promising on Gil's right wing.

Edited by N'eo

I voted Perrault no 1 for two reasons. First he made Buffalo a Hockey town. Those that were not fans of the game became fans after watching him fly end to end. Two the franchise may not have survived to even have a Hasek era without the French connection making Sabres hockey part of the fabric of Buffalo. Keep in mind, that Oakland lost their franchise the Colorado Rockies came and went the Cleveland Barons and Kansas City Scouts couldn't capture the imagination of the fans. The other reason I voted for Perreault is that he was drafted by and retired as a Sabre. To me that makes a difference in an exercise like this.

Exactly why I voted Hasek.

The man is either the best goaltender in history or second best, depending on how you feel about Tretiak.  He certainly is the best ever to play in the NHL.  He's the best player the Sabres ever had or will have.

I get the favourite vs best thing, but that is still why I voted Gil as best ever.

Dom I have as second, even though I did not feel good voting that quiter #2, but he is the second best Sabre ever, IMO.

Voted Alexander as #3.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Stephane Richer says thanks for all the primary assists on his goals in '89.

Wimpley should never have played D 5-on-5 as a kid. (And IMHO, even after he grew up. See note above from SR. ;))

At the risk of repeating myself (I'm old!), I'll re-tell this. I attended a season kickoff lunch in Tampa years ago. Players were dispersed and Richer sat at my table. As the lunch closed, I leaned over and asked about his memories of Phil Housley. His face was priceless. Think sheepish grin, not gloating smirk. "I think I got him traded!"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.