Buffalo Sabres top 50 of all time

Hoss

Buffalo Sabres Top 50  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the tenth best player in Sabres history?

• Craig Ramsay
    • Ryan Miller
    • Jim Schoenfield
    • Rene Robert

I'm shocked my the lack of respect for Robert and I love Mike and said so earlier, but don't think he belongs ahead of Housley or big Dave.

One other note on Craig Ramsay, as great as he was, he was a 3rd line player on those great Sabres team. You have the French Connection, then the Gare and then the Luce/Rammer line. He might be the greatest defensive forward in Sabres history and his longevity puts him high on the list, but not quite as high as the players we have been discussing.

I do think that Miller starts coming into the conversation pretty soon.

I'm shocked my the lack of respect for Robert and I love Mike and said so earlier, but don't think he belongs ahead of Housley or big Dave.

One other note on Craig Ramsay, as great as he was, he was a 3rd line player on those great Sabres team. You have the French Connection, then the Gare and then the Luce/Rammer line. He might be the greatest defensive forward in Sabres history and his longevity puts him high on the list, but not quite as high as the players we have been discussing.

I do think that Miller starts coming into the conversation pretty soon.

Dude, Gare played on that line if in an era when 3 was the max. The 4th line were goons and extras.

Gare, Luce, Ramsay.

Edited by 3putt

Robert and Miller get consideration for my top 10.

Craig Ramsay was the second best defensive forward of his era and was dependable as a sunrise.

Elite checking forwards will always be step below number one defensemen, elite goal scorers and first line centres.

That's just the nature of the universe.

I loved Howerchuk. To the learned ... I see DH watching Samson. Is that nuts?

Nope.

And to those who doubt his worthiness, Ducky during the Mayday playoff run may have been the best extended performance I've ever seen in blue and gold.

Edited by dudacek

Craig Ramsay was the second best defensive forward of his era and was dependable as a sunrise.

Elite checking forwards will always be step below number one defensemen, elite goal scorers and first line centres.

Nope.

And to those who doubt his worthiness, Ducky during the Mayday playoff run may have been the best extended performance I've ever seen in blue and gold.

Just checked his numbers 5 goals and 9 assists in 8 games.

Nope.

Check my memory, please. I remember where I was for some games that year, radio and tv, during the Montreal series. Howerchuk carried them, heart, soul, talent, effort. Just incredible. Am I remembering correctly? Montreal eliminated us. Bodger rose to the occasion, too. I had an east coaster's lack of exposure to Howerchuk earlier in his career. Games were too late and he played against Buffalo infrequently. But, that playoff run ... Dale Howerchuk.

Check my memory, please. I remember where I was for some games that year, radio and tv, during the Montreal series. Howerchuk carried them, heart, soul, talent, effort. Just incredible. Am I remembering correctly? Montreal eliminated us. Bodger rose to the occasion, too. I had an east coaster's lack of exposure to Howerchuk earlier in his career. Games were too late and he played against Buffalo infrequently. But, that playoff run ... Dale Howerchuk.

Was that the yea Mogilny and PLF both got hurt? If so, yeah, Hawerchuck had a terrific, if short, playoffs. Montreal was a beast that post season. I dont think anyone saw it coming either.

The only issue I have with Ducky and PLF is their tenure.  Relatively short stints and games played.  And Samson has that same will that Ducky had.  You are nuts Neo, but that is not the evidence that will convict you.  :flirt:

Was that the yea Mogilny and PLF both got hurt? If so, yeah, Hawerchuck had a terrific, if short, playoffs. Montreal was a beast that post season. I dont think anyone saw it coming either.

That was the year. We got swept by the Habs after sweeping the Bruins.

Every game 4-3, three of them in OT if memory serves. Roy.

After Andreychuck is added next round, I suggest Miller, Edwards, Crozier, and Barrasso are all added at the same time so that a robust goalie discussion can occur.

Maybe Crozier isn't quite in that class but he did solidify the team early on, had a long career, and helped them to the first Cup Final in '75.

This activity is pretty fun.

Wow.  Great thread.  I wish I'd checked in earlier.

My top 10, with break points:

Perreault -- IMHO a #1 center who is a top-3 player in the NHL is more vital than an elite GT

Dominik -- certainly can't fault anyone for picking him #1

Rico -- He could skate, pass and score in bunches and he had a ton of charisma.  He was my favorite player as a kid; as an adult, my dog is named Rico and sports a Sabres name tag. 

Gare -- Excellent skater and scorer with a huge heart.  If he'd been on the ice when Lucic hit Miller, everything would've been different, including the number of teeth Lucic has.

Housley -- Yes, he wasn't a hitter.  But he pressed the play on offense like a force of nature and was the 2nd-most exciting Sabre with the puck of all time.

PLF -- I have a hard time ranking him higher because after netting out the injuries he played less than 3 seasons as a Sabre, and because I had very little access to Sabres games at that point in my life.  I can't disagree if anyone wants to rank him higher.

Drury -- He only played 3 seasons as a Sabre, but they were transformative, and I feel like if I include PLF, then I should include Drury as well.  He was a fantastic 2-way player and leader, he lifted his teammates up and he was freaking clutch.  The hockey gods are still making us pay for butchering his contract extension and losing him.

Briere -- He also wasn't here long enough (4 seasons), but he was a great scorer -- maybe the 2nd-best the Sabres have ever had -- and also freaking clutch.  He's still something like top-2 or top-3 in the NHL in playoff scoring since 2005.

Schoenfeld -- I'll give him a very narrow edge over Ramsey because of the fire and guts. 

Ramsey -- a consistently excellent defenseman for an extended period.

The only issue I have with Ducky and PLF is their tenure.  Relatively short stints and games played.  And Samson has that same will that Ducky had.  You are nuts Neo, but that is not the evidence that will convict you.  :flirt:

I've left a paper trail .... alas.

After Andreychuck is added next round, I suggest Miller, Edwards, Crozier, and Barrasso are all added at the same time so that a robust goalie discussion can occur.

Maybe Crozier isn't quite in that class but he did solidify the team early on, had a long career, and helped them to the first Cup Final in '75.

This activity is pretty fun.

Goalies will be fun .... I expect to see Miller, Barrasso, Edwards and Crozier make the top 50. Crozier will on legend, early role and popularity, if not on outright ability. Boston had 72 shots on goal in regulation against your expansion Sabres, one December evening. Roger Crozier made 64 saves and lost.

FOR YOU YOUNGINS .... Look at the Sabres '75 cup finalist playoff goaltending stats. That was some FUN hockey. Now, it may deflate some 70s era goal SCORER views, but not mine. It was different. Acrobats, not monoliths. I can think of no other position in any sport that's evolved to the extent that ice hockey goaltender has in the last 50 years.

Gary Desjardins. 1974–75 Buffalo Sabres G15 W7 L5 MIN760 SO 0. GAA. 3.39 SP. .863

Roger Crozier. 1974–75 Buffalo Sabres G. 5 W3 L2. MIN292 SO 0 GAA. 2.88 SP. .903

I will suffer the slings and arrows of outraged We've and vote Gare at this juncture. Nose to nose with Ramsey.

Game battler when that meant something while putting up gaudy numbers playing with two defensive forwards. A 14 year rock on defense. Ramsey gets my next vote.

Hasek

Perreault

LaFontaine

Martin (I had after Housley and voted accordingly, but was later swayed by Dudacek's arguement)

Mogilny* (not in my top ten; my biggest diversion from the crowd)

Housley (I had before Martin and Mogilny)

Gare** (me, this round, in light of 1-6)

Ramsey*** (my promise, should Gare win this round; Gare if it's anyone else; everything We've has presented is true)

Edited by N'eo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.