Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Coolness and long hair hahaha, man I wonder how I'd be viewed, If I got a haircut before the meet up lol.

I've heard both sides of this, some say "dude you're in your 30's,dont watch it" and others say it's simply amazing.

A month before the meetup my hair was longer than yours(only a touch) lol. I finished reading it at 22? That sounds about right. It was fun. I know you don't take things too seriously. It's fun.

Alright, we're going to fight soon. I'm not saying that I want to fight. I'm. Just saying that it's inevitable.

It happens. You've admittedly never seen the best 2 movies of the Evil Dead Trilogy though. I've admittedly only seen one of the Star Wars remakes. I believe it was the second one but I can't remember. It was the one with yoda jumping around and doing flips during the fight scene at the end. I did watch LOTR though and the original Star Wars trilogy though so at least my opinions are made having seen the movies. 

Edited by Drunkard

I have hope to watch all the Harry Potter movies this summer.... I know nothing more about it than my visits to Universal studios a few times, is it worth it?

I can't fairly say, since I watched them through the lens of knowing the books. Maybe someone who's never read the books would really dig the movies. 

I can say the books are enjoyable. Yeah, I was the optimal age as the characters, growing up with them. But I reread them last year for the first time since I was a kid and they were really great, just in an entirely different way. It's amazing how my own maturity level really painted that series. 

I still enjoy the movies, although they irritate me somewhat (esp. the final battle/book/movie. Blurgh) with some miscasting and such. 

LoTR- I admit I'm not a huge fan of the books, but I do love the movies *dodges thrown objects*

Star Wars is great and all, but I've never been the diehard fan most people claim to be these days. A class in college broke SW down into Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey monomyth template and it kind of ruined it for me :(

Evil Dead- best enjoyed with a beer, pizza, and some friends. Haven't seen the new one, have no desire to. 

Edited by Josie914

A month before the meetup my hair was longer than yours(only a touch) lol. I finished reading it at 22? That sounds about right. It was fun. I know you don't take things too seriously. It's fun.

Well it's true, I'm not a super serious guy, and why did you cut your flow?!?! Alright, it appears I'll try and get to these this summer

I'm pretty sure I made fun of Emma Watson at the sabrespace game meet up. I dug the books, and I dug the movies. She can't act for sh!t, but they were still fun.

Yeah, I recall some outraged hollering at that.

I'm with you. Not a Watson fan. And Rupert Grint is just... not at all what Ron should be. Harry was pretty well cast...except all the closeups of his big beautiful blue eyes with voiceover intoning "YOU HAVE YOUR MOTHER'S GREEN EYES, YOUR MOTHER'S BLAZING GREEN EYES, GREEN EYES GREEN GREEN GREEN"

I can't fairly say, since I watched them through the lens of knowing the books. Maybe someone who's never read the books would really dig the movies.

I can say the books are enjoyable. Yeah, I was the optimal age as the characters, growing up with them. But I reread them last year for the first time since I was a kid and they were really great, just in an entirely different way. It's amazing how my own maturity level really painted that series.

I still enjoy the movies, although they irritate me somewhat (esp. the final battle/book/movie. Blurgh) with some miscasting and such.

I just hate to read so the movies will be my first experience, aside from the hogwarts and such in Florida.

As for star wars, could just never get into it.

And I enjoyed both the LOTR and hobbit movies very much

Well it's true, I'm not a super serious guy, and why did you cut your flow?!?! Alright, it appears I'll try and get to these this summer

I cut my flow because of a woman. Evil creatures! The lot of them!

LoTR- I admit I'm not a huge fan of the books, but I do love the movies *dodges thrown objects*

Star Wars is great and all, but I've never been the diehard fan most people claim to be these days. A class in college broke SW down into Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey monomyth template and it kind of ruined it for me :(

Evil Dead- best enjoyed with a beer, pizza, and some friends. Haven't seen the new one, have no desire to. 

The Evil Dead remake was decent. They went straight horror though and eliminated the comedy which was probably smart to do since Bruce Campbell only had a small cameo at the end and wasn't really a character. I wouldn't have had any faith in the new actors to pull off the horror/comedy balance required to do it justice.

I have hope to watch all the Harry Potter movies this summer.... I know nothing more about it than my visits to Universal studios a few times, is it worth it?

Unequivocally yes. It's my favourite series so I can offer no higher recommendation. One thing to know about the movies is like the books, they mature (and generally improve) as they go along. So if the first and second seem a little on the childish side, know that they gain more thematic weight (and the performances improve) as the series goes on. The 3 young leads particularly grow into the roles, and watching their characters and their friendship grow and evolve throughout such a long period of time is the hook of the series. Won't find that in LOTR (which I love) or Star Wars (which I really like).

The third movie, Azkaban, directed by Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men) is a work of art and where the series really gets going. David Yates takes over as director for movies 5-8, and they as such have a growing continuity from that point on (much like the books, really). The final movie is 96% on Rotten Tomatoes, (not that critics mean everything), including a 100% from the "Top Critics". It's better reviewed than Return of the King.

Anyways, give em a shot. Not for everyone, but it's a series that has staying power, it's in the Star Wars, LOTR tier, not Twilight. That was a fad. The critical and commercial heights the first 3 reached are in a different category.

No, it's not. Utterly mediocre.

Or this ;)

I just found the Harry Potter movies to be totally boring. I never felt immersed in them. The stuff that was supposed to be intense, exciting, or dramatic? It all fell totally flat on me.

Fair enough. And Drunkard hates LOTR. These things are never universally praised!

I wonder if ill come at it a bit different since the rides were so life like and I was a bit immersed and loved the set up of the worlds, I enjoyed the atmosphere, ill def update this thread as I get to them.

The set designs alone are Oscar worthy and it's a crime Stuart Craig never won the Oscar (he was nominated - but the oscars are stupid). There's also a ton of real world sets, and no over reliance on CGI as is common nowadays.

If nothing else, the acting across the board is top notch, the cast populated by British legends like Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Ralph Fiennes, Jim Broadbent, etc etc. The cast are all game and the movies have that feel of the all-in filmmaker spirit.

I just found the Harry Potter movies to be totally boring. I never felt immersed in them. The stuff that was supposed to be intense, exciting, or dramatic? It all fell totally flat on me.

The last few movies are so damn dark, literally, that it's tough to make out detail on a crappy TV. Like, I get that it's basically the wizarding world holocaust, and there is very little joy, but good lord art directors, you didn't have to dim and desaturate everything. Compare the first movie's color palette to the final 3. Pretty amazing. 

The last few books are dark/depressing too. I love the idea of desaturating a bit, but they go so extreme with it.  just get a laugh out of the cinematographers' solution. 

Also, neither here nor there, but good lord, I never liked Dobby. Sorry. 

Now that school is out, teach/coach for a living, I can have a Game of Thrones marathon. Don't watch a lot of television during school year. Looking forward to experiencing Game of Thrones seasons 1 - 6. Hope it's as good as everyone says it is.

You and me both!  I only started watching over x-mas and recently finished season 3, so I still have a ways to go to catch up!  I want to watch the season 7 trailer, but I'm sure it'll be a spoiler for at least something I haven't seen yet.  But I'm hooked and can't wait to watch more; it really is an excellent show.  Just don't get discouraged in the beginning when they're throwing 30+ different new characters at you and you're struggling to keep them straight!

I just want to say the comments from drunkard in no way reflect the opinions of others that partake in occasional overindulgence of alcohol. As a drinking community I think i speak for all when i condemn the comments made....

IMO if you want to experience the harry potter universe you should go with the books. the movies are lacking in my respects compared to the books.

However with LOTR if you are not a big reader I do not feel you are missing out on too much by watching the movies instead

I just want to say the comments from drunkard in no way reflect the opinions of others that partake in occasional overindulgence of alcohol. As a drinking community I think i speak for all when i condemn the comments made....

IMO if you want to experience the harry potter universe you should go with the books. the movies are lacking in my respects compared to the books.

However with LOTR if you are not a big reader I do not feel you are missing out on too much by watching the movies instead

This is interesting. I am one of those blasphemous Tolkien fans that actually prefers the movies to the books. Look, I love the LOTR books, but they can be a slog, at times.

Just got to the theater to see Alien. There are 6 people here. Zero of them will refrain from speaking throughout this movie.

Oh no. The worst.

Let me know what you think- I have heard nothing kind about that film so far :(