Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Went up to Ithaca to see It Comes At Night tonight. I was so excited to see it! It's director Trey Schults's second movie. His first movie is called Krisha, an indie film he shot with his family in 9 days with so little money. Krisha is amazing. Fantastic. Touching. Frightening. Real.

It Comes At Night is such a disappointment. Basically a ###### rehash of The Witch, but it's not tethered to anything. It's not scary and it's not about anything. It's a believable post-apocalyptic setting, but absolutely nothing is done with it.

At least I watched Zodiac and Nightcrawler earlier (Gyllenhaal double feature!), so my good movie itch was already scratched for today.

It Comes At Night was the biggest POS I've seen in a theatre in years.  It was 90 minutes and they didn't have enough to fill even that.  There's basically no story, all of the "scares" are dream sequences, and the characters are completely bland.  There are plenty of long shots of the woods to fill time though.  "Make it atmospheric" isn't all you need to make a movie.

The movie sets up one interesting plot point - that the only way in or out of the house is via a locked door that only one character has the key to -- and then they completely forget about it.  The door ends up open but no one really asks any questions about that and the mystery is never solved or explore.  Oh well.

And it has a dark ending because that's what hacks consider "art."

Gleaming the Cube is the second best Christian Slater movie ever made. Behind True Romance and ahead of The Legend of Billie Jean.

Damn, I left out Very Bad Things!

Edited by ubkev

It Comes At Night was the biggest POS I've seen in a theatre in years. It was 90 minutes and they didn't have enough to fill even that. There's basically no story, all of the "scares" are dream sequences, and the characters are completely bland. There are plenty of long shots of the woods to fill time though. "Make it atmospheric" isn't all you need to make a movie.

The movie sets up one interesting plot point - that the only way in or out of the house is via a locked door that only one character has the key to -- and then they completely forget about it. The door ends up open but no one really asks any questions about that and the mystery is never solved or explore. Oh well.

And it has a dark ending because that's what hacks consider "art."

Right when the movie ended a kid in our theater said "What." I've heard that "What." before. In suicide squad when Viola Davis just randomly executes like 4 people a guy in that theater vocalized what we were all feeling. What.

Gleaming the Cube is the second best Christian Slater movie ever made. Behind True Romance and ahead of The Legend of Billie Jean.

Damn, I left out Very Bad Things!

Broken Arrow was a very good and underrated action thriller with Slater and post-Pulp Fiction John Travolta.

He was amazing. Loved him in Charlie Wilson's War with Hanks.

You know who is a legitimately very good actor that no on mentions cause he's crazy? Shia LeBeouf.

I haven't seen lotsa Shia, but I heard he was good in American Honey.

I stayed away from young actors on my list. I thought about Kirsten Stewart, Brie Larsson, and Emma Stone.

My favorite of Philip Seymour Hoffman's roles was in The Master. 5 seconds into his screentime I knew that this was something I'd never seen from him before.

Joaquin Pheonix deserves to be on the list too.

I haven't seen lotsa Shia, but I heard he was good in American Honey.

I stayed away from young actors on my list. I thought about Kirsten Stewart, Brie Larsson, and Emma Stone.

My favorite of Philip Seymour Hoffman's roles was in The Master. 5 seconds into his screentime I knew that this was something I'd never seen from him before.

Joaquin Pheonix deserves to be on the list too.

Will have to check this out.

Philip Seymour Hoffman!!

He was amazing. Loved him in Charlie Wilson's War with Hanks.

And the Talented Mr. Ripley, and Boogie Nights, and pretty much everything else he was in (including one of the Mission Impossibles).

One of my favorites- Steve Buscemi

His Snickers role was amazing

He lives in my neighborhood.  I've seen him around a number of times, including in a restaurant a couple of months ago.

Oldman

Pacino

De Niro

Body of work speaks for itself. Godfathers, Dog Day, True Romance, Heat, Leon.

I don't think Pacino or De Niro are in the running, to be honest. They're tremendous in certain roles, but I think their range is lacking. Or maybe I'm just putting too much weight on their work after they got older and stopped caring.

And the Talented Mr. Ripley, and Boogie Nights, and pretty much everything else he was in (including one of the Mission Impossibles).

He lives in my neighborhood.  I've seen him around a number of times, including in a restaurant a couple of months ago.

Thats cool. I've always enjoyed Buscemi.