What Should GMTM Do Now?

GASabresIUFAN

Is this thread premature? Maybe, but the structure of this team for this season has been permanently altered by the injuries to Jack and Kane. Add in the lack of ability of Franson and Gorges to play at the pace of today's NHL and we have a real problem on our hands if GMTM wants this team to progress in the standings this season.

So what is GMTM to do to fix this team or at least keep it afloat for the next 8 weeks? We have discussed adding Fowler and I think this is the first move. We need to drive O from our D and he is a great available upgrade. Girgensons and picks is probably the cost. I do think that adding Fowler probably means that this is Kulikov's only year here.

Is there anything we can do up front? I think the first thing is to move Sam back to center. The next move would be to get pick up another cheap vet or two. Maybe even Legwand or a Tomas Fleischmann.

Thoughts?

In the real world, there's not much to be done right now other than wait. Hope that Okposo and Kulikov help stabilize things, O'Reilly's back gets better fast, and we grind out some close wins. The other shoe to drop is Lindolm's extension, at which point hope we can out-bid the other teams without an exorbitant price (which I don't have think Murray will pay, or Fowler would already be here).

In the TrueBlue fantasy world?

1) Fire Bylsma

2) Trade Bogosian for Trouba; sign Trouba to a Risto extension.

3) Trade Foligno + 2nd for Fowler.

4) Enjoy the ride to the playoffs.

Edit: I wanted to include a Lindolm offer sheet in my fantasy, but even in my fantasy world I couldn't find a taker for two of Gorges/Moulson/Franson to free up the necessary cap space.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

In the real world, there's not much to be done right now other than wait. Hope that Okposo and Kulikov help stabilize things, O'Reilly's back gets better fast, and we grind out some close wins. The other shoe to drop is Lindolm's extension, at which point hope we can out-bid the other teams without an exorbitant price (which I don't have think Murray will pay, or Fowler would already be here).

In the TrueBlue fantasy world?

1) Fire Bylsma

2) Trade Bogosian for Trouba; sign Trouba to a Risto extension.

3) Trade Foligno + 2nd for Fowler.

4) Enjoy the ride to the playoffs.

Edit: I wanted to include a Lindolm offer sheet in my fantasy, but even in my fantasy world I couldn't find a taker for two of Gorges/Moulson/Franson to free up the necessary cap space.

In your world why would the Jets take Bogo back much less give up anything for him?

What should he do?  No major moves for now.  This team is not winning the cup this year...play what you have and give it time to see who steps up when the opportunity presents itself.

Of course, if there is a trade out there that you really love and is a steal, make it...but do NOT force anything.

It's.................... One....................... Freaking.................... Game.....................

It's not about the one game, it's about how to keep the team moving forward during the 2 month absence of two key components of the offense.

It's also about the structure of the defense. I have been worried about Franson and Gorges all off-season. They were exposed by the fast Canadian team as no longer being fast enough to play at the pace NHL hockey is played at as I and many others feared. With one such D you can probably survive, but with two, who DD placed on two different lines, your are starting the game with a hand tied behind your back.

Is this thread premature? Maybe, but the structure of this team for this season has been permanently altered by the injuries to Jack and Kane. Add in the lack of ability of Franson and Gorges to play at the pace of today's NHL and we have a real problem on our hands if GMTM wants this team to progress in the standings this season.

So what is GMTM to do to fix this team or at least keep it afloat for the next 8 weeks? We have discussed adding Fowler and I think this is the first move. We need to drive O from our D and he is a great available upgrade. Girgensons and picks is probably the cost. I do think that adding Fowler probably means that this is Kulikov's only year here.

Is there anything we can do up front? I think the first thing is to move Sam back to center. The next move would be to get pick up another cheap vet or two. Maybe even Legwand or a Tomas Fleischmann.

Thoughts?

If Fowler could be had for Girgensons and picks he would already be in a Sabres uniform.

If Fowler could be had for Girgensons and picks he would already be in a Sabres uniform.

Not necessarily. Ana had a price of X, but that was there was no urgency and he obviously didn't get that price. Now with the season already started and Lindholm is still un-signed, the urgency has increased and desperate sellers have to sell at clearance prices.

The question is what is GMTM willing to give up and are there other options out there.

Trade Franson to Edm for a 3rd and a 5th

Sign Wisniewski to the vet minimum for 1 year.

Then just sit some more. The idea would be to free up some cap space and just let the Ducks sweat. And we get rid of Franson.

Is trade with Edm your default? They have no reason to take Franson much less give anything up to get him. You need to find another whipping boy team, because Edmonton is much improved if for no other reason than McDavid is feeling his oats and dominating.

Is trade with Edm your default? They have no reason to take Franson much less give anything up to get him. You need to find another whipping boy team, because Edmonton is much improved if for no other reason than McDavid is feeling his oats and dominating.

Edm and LAK are the two team which supposedly had a bit of interest in him over the off season

Yes indeedly, although if we can get Fowler for Nylander we have to seriously consider it.

I certainly would not; Nylander/a 1st > Fowler for the Sabres

I'm not trading Nylander to get Fowler, not now not ever. We are short of LW talent in the pipeline and we need Nylander to take over for Kane (or maybe Ennis) within a year or two.

Also we are really talking about upgrading the 3rd D pairing. I'd love get Fowler, but our top 4 when healthy is good between Bogo, Kulikov, Risto and McCabe. The goal here is to get a puck mover who can skate to replace Franson.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Are the odds better that Nylander becomes another Gaborik, or another Armia?

Legit, probability based odds? Or sports analytic odds?

I know it has nothing to do with it, but the list of 8th overall picks is kinda depressing. http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl-draft-picks/8th-overall/80509/

But I chose to believe that the kid will be alright. I like Swedish players.

Legit, probability based odds? Or sports analytic odds?

I know it has nothing to do with it, but the list of 8th overall picks is kinda depressing. http://www.mynhldraft.com/nhl-draft-picks/8th-overall/80509/

But I chose to believe that the kid will be alright. I like Swedish players.

I don't think that list is that bad..

One other note, where we can afford to trade a prospect is RW. With Fasching, Bailey and Baptiste in the pipeline and Okposo and Reinhart in Buffalo we have enough depth to trade one of the prospects to get a Franson replacement.

Yup, we have a lot of depth at the Center and RW positions, for sure. 

Even Nylander, who can also play LW, is a right hand shot. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.