What Should GMTM Do Now?

GASabresIUFAN

Look at the numbers it is close. That's the problem they are the same type of player. But because the grass is greener Yada Yada.

They don't get close to the same type of minutes or look close to the same player IMO. No one thinks Fowler is perfect but he would make any team's defense better. Edited by Randall Flagg

If Fowler was as good as everyone seems to think, he wouldn't be available. He is a good skater and young. And yes he would be an upgrade. But he is not a game changer. If a reasonable deal presents itself great. But we need players like Nylander to step into roles beginning next year and it is not uncommon for a highly touted player to not make the NHL roster in their draft year. I think Nylander is more valuable than Fowler in the long run.

I agree with some of this, but that first argument needs to die a painful death. ROR disproves it. First line center made available due to a collection of circumstances. It's rare, but it does happen. Teams trade really good players. Not even saying Fowler is a 1, but he's CERTAINLY top 4 and he'd improve our team considerably.

I did say he would be an upgrade, but he is not the one player that puts us over the top to  championship.  So I would not overpay.  No Nylander, no 2017 1st, no Baptiste, Fasching or Bailey.  Rodriguez and a 2nd? Sure Foligno and a 3rd? Done.  If the Ducks want a premium, look elsewhere.

Fowler's probably a 2/3 tweener. His skillset is badly needed by us.

Pretty much. He's a top-4 who can play top pair. Sort of like Risto (at this point) and maybe Kulikov. Maybe we never get a true #1, but platooning three legit top-4 (or four depending how you feel about Bogosian) with McCabe as the linchpin on the 3rd pair isn't horrible. I'd still worry about the overall mix stylistically and with respect to fit, but it'd be a major improvement.

I did say he would be an upgrade, but he is not the one player that puts us over the top to championship. So I would not overpay. No Nylander, no 2017 1st, no Baptiste, Fasching or Bailey. Rodriguez and a 2nd? Sure Foligno and a 3rd? Done. If the Ducks want a premium, look elsewhere.

Pretty sure Murray agrees or Fowler would already be here.

Pretty sure Murray agrees or Fowler would already be here.

You can't say that. All you can say for sure is that Ana wanted more then GMTM was willing to pay. You have no idea what was offered or what was requested. GMTM moved on and traded for Kulikov instead. Now getting Fowler, a LD, means that either Gorges is benched or is moved to RD and Franson gets benched or waived.

Now that the ANA is desperate, my guess is that the price has fallen. However we don't know if GMTM has even made a new offer or will because he has his scared "balance" on D. Imho he should make the deal because he is the best D available and we need the upgrade regardless of 'balance"

You can't say that. All you can say for sure is that Ana wanted more then GMTM was willing to pay. You have no idea what was offered or what was requested. GMTM moved on and traded for Kulikov instead. Now getting Fowler, a LD, means that either Gorges is benched or is moved to RD and Franson gets benched or waived.

Now that the ANA is desperate, my guess is that the price has fallen. However we don't know if GMTM has even made a new offer or will because he has his scared "balance" on D. Imho he should make the deal because he is the best D available and we need the upgrade regardless of 'balance"

My point was that if Murray felt Fowler was worth a premium package, he probably could have had him during the offseason, and if he wasn't willing to pay the price then, he won't now. The dynamics will certainly shift from Anaheim's perspective once Lindolm signs.

Still wish we had the cap space to offer sheet. Anaheim is very vulnerable to one.

My point was that if Murray felt Fowler was worth a premium package, he probably could have had him during the offseason, and if he wasn't willing to pay the price then, he won't now. The dynamics will certainly shift from Anaheim's perspective once Lindolm signs.

Still wish we had the cap space to offer sheet. Anaheim is very vulnerable to one.

Let's hope the dynamics change in a very advantageous way relative to us. I think a Fowler addition would represent more than the sum of his parts to this team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.