Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

I'm probably the biggest proponent of using statistics in player evaluation on this forum, and I fundamentally do not understand how you can watch Eichel play and come away thinking he's merely very good. He has his flaws, but he's a dynamo with the puck on his stick, which is most of the time.

And FWIW, raw points are the only measure where he would fall short of the elite category. Shot generation, primary points percentage, carry-in percentage...all elite. Get him a coach that plays a more open style at even strength and watch those raw goal/assist totals jump.

PREACH!

Spezza to the IR. Anyone really think Ruff resigns?

Speaking of the Spezz. Does Eichel have a higher ceiling than him?

It does - I'd take that in a heart beat.

And, holy - I'd take that as well. But I think that'd be a significant step up from being better than Tavares.

Maybe too far with Ovie. But he will be only lesser than McDavid. I think he will be better than Stamkos, Malkin, and Tavares

The Sabres have 10 wins in 16 games against the West.

The Sabres have 12 wins in 37 games against the East. 

This is why we're in the basement and will not be making the playoffs this year.

Yes. Eichel will be better than Tavares IMO, if that helps. What Ovie is to the winger position

Only if we find Eichel the equivalent of his Backstrom.

Only if we find Eichel the equivalent of his Backstrom.

His name is Samson.

I know they enjoy playing on the same line, but, in order to reach his ceiling, Eichel needs someone who's more of a sniper/shooter than Reinhart is. He doesn't need the second coming of Mike Bossy, but maybe someone along the lines of Vanek or Andreychuck? Or, heck, Sheppard or Audette.

I know they enjoy playing on the same line, but, in order to reach his ceiling, Eichel needs someone who's more of a sniper/shooter than Reinhart is. He doesn't need the second coming of Mike Bossy, but maybe someone along the lines of Vanek or Andreychuck? Or, heck, Sheppard or Audette.

I've said it before, but it is my belief this is the single biggest reason they took Nylander over Sergachev.

I've said it before, but it is my belief this is the single biggest reason they took Nylander over Sergachev.

I know little to nothing about Nylander's game, but I wonder: Does he project as a sniping finisher? I've read and heard that he may be more of a player who likes to have the puck on his stick.

But, to your point: I think that has to be the case. That they took another forward - when they clearly needed more D - because they wanted to get a highly skilled player to play with Eichel.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I know little to nothing about Nylander's game, but I wonder: Does he project as a sniping finisher? I've read and heard that he may be more of a player who likes to have the puck on his stick.

But, to your point: I think that has to be the case. That they took another forward - when they clearly needed more D - because they wanted to get a highly skilled player to play with Eichel.

From what I've seen he is a sublime give and go player, very soft, very cerebral with elite hands (at least against his peers). Give him space and he will put the puck exactly where he wants. He's the type of player you'll hate when he's not scoring because he brings little else. He won't hound the puck, or hit anybody. But he can see the game Jack sees, move the puck and himself quickly, and get open, and finish those passes that Samson and Foligno aren't.

I honestly think Nylander was just BPA. Nobody saw him sliding that far

Murray said he knew he was getting one of three players: Juolevi, Sergachev or Nylander.

He never said which he preferred, but it was pretty strongly inferred he wasn't going to give up any of them for Fowler.

Given what we've seen from Nylander and Fowler this year, I wonder if he wishes he had a do-over

Edited by dudacek

Jason Pominville has quietly scored the sixth most points in the NHL over the last month. Tied with Crosby and Tavares, among others, with 16 points in his last 14. The population is rebounding a bit this year after last year's stinker. 

He's found some chemistry on new line with Charlie Coyle.

Always loved Pominville.

Also: No way of knowing whether it will happen, but I've heard (third-hand, but ultimately from a reliable source) that the Canadiens are going hard after Duchene.

Good move on their part, IMO, if the don't have to give up anyone contributing serious minutes right now.

They should have signed Eric Staal in the summer.

Several teams scored six again tonight, including the Caps who are absolutely ridiculous. Hope they don't use everything up before the playoffs again. Ovie is definitely coasting to make sure he has energy left.

Seems like a lot of blowouts and games where teams score 6+, relative to recent years. Strange for a season where the standings are so close.

Joe Thornton scored his first goal against a goalie this year. His previous couple had been empty netters. He's played all fifty something games for them, I believe.

Also Caps now at 10 straight home games scoring at least 5.

While Ovechkin didn't get a shot on goal, snapping a streak that dates back to March of 2013. Damn.

Several teams scored six again tonight, including the Caps who are absolutely ridiculous. Hope they don't use everything up before the playoffs again. Ovie is definitely coasting to make sure he has energy left.

Seems like a lot of blowouts and games where teams score 6+, relative to recent years. Strange for a season where the standings are so close.

smaller goalie pants

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.