KeyBank Arena Experience and Social Marketing

LGR4GM

The teenage version of me would never admit this but here goes:

The experience of seeing an NHL game in Dallas is better than that in Buffalo in literally every way.  The team is more fun to watch, the uniforms they wear at home are bright and fun (versus the darkest blue known to man), and the in-game presentation is incredible (everything from the jumbotron humor to the ice girls and cheerleaders).  

Worst of all, fans in their arena are way more fun to be around.  There are two reasons for this.  First, Dallas sports is the Cowboys and "stuff we watch while waiting for the next Cowboys game" so everyone is there to have a good time and no one is going to have their night ruined by a loss.  Second, I'm starting to think the fact that we've never won a championship in Buffalo has driven all of our fans insane.  We all take this WAY too seriously by now.  This is supposed to be entertainment but we've elevated it into a critical part of our city's identity and now all the losing is making us miserable.  

It's to the point where I just want Buffalo to win a championship now so that everyone can just relax and enjoy sports going forward. 

This makes some sense.  I don't want ice girls or cheerleaders though.

Edited by Eleven

The experience of seeing an NHL game in Dallas is better than that in Buffalo in literally every way.  The team is more fun to watch, the uniforms they wear at home are bright and fun (versus the darkest blue known to man), and the in-game presentation is incredible (everything from the jumbotron humor to the ice girls and cheerleaders).  

Worst of all, fans in their arena are way more fun to be around.  There are two reasons for this.  First, Dallas sports is the Cowboys and "stuff we watch while waiting for the next Cowboys game" so everyone is there to have a good time and no one is going to have their night ruined by a loss.  Second, I'm starting to think the fact that we've never won a championship in Buffalo has driven all of our fans insane.  We all take this WAY too seriously by now.  This is supposed to be entertainment but we've elevated it into a critical part of our city's identity and now all the losing is making us miserable.  

It's to the point where I just want Buffalo to win a championship now so that everyone can just relax and enjoy sports going forward. 

You may be on to something.  It has been a long time since Buffalo sports watching has been consistently fun.  Even wins seem difficult and stressful.

This makes some sense.  I don't want ice girls or cheerleaders though.

I'd almost like to add them just because I know the entire Buffalo News staff would completely lose their minds and we'd be treated to years of hot takes about how they're ruining the atmosphere in the arena.  Half of Mike Harrington's Twitter feed during home games is him complaining about the arena "Screecher" (he never calls out Lauren Hall by name) and how she's ruining everything.  (My guess is Mike is a lonely, bitter man if he can't appreciate a pretty girl on our jumbotron a few times during a game.)  

Sadly, I don't think our fans could handle it right now either.  "They're focused on cheerleaders?!  Why not focus on building a winning team????"  The Blackhawks have had ice girls during their entire dynasty and Dallas has them too, and both are better arena experiences.  They might even remind people that this is just supposed to be a fun night out and not a life or death struggle for our city.

I'd almost like to add them just because I know the entire Buffalo News staff would completely lose their minds and we'd be treated to years of hot takes about how they're ruining the atmosphere in the arena.  Half of Mike Harrington's Twitter feed during home games is him complaining about the arena "Screecher" (he never calls out Lauren Hall by name) and how she's ruining everything.  (My guess is Mike is a lonely, bitter man if he can't appreciate a pretty girl on our jumbotron a few times during a game.)  

Sadly, I don't think our fans could handle it right now either.  "They're focused on cheerleaders?!  Why not focus on building a winning team????"  The Blackhawks have had ice girls during their entire dynasty and Dallas has them too, and both are better arena experiences.  They might even remind people that this is just supposed to be a fun night out and not a life or death struggle for our city.

To be fair to Harrington, he complains about the screechers at every arena.

I'm not entirely sure what he means by "screecher".  I haven't been to a game in years.

And the Sabres had cheerleaders at one time.  Nobody cared.  Actually, that's not true.  I seem to recall they were mocked.  Not to say the response wouldn't be different today.

OK that's a genuinely funny reason to want to add cheerleaders, but I still don't want 'em.

As for Ms. Hall's screeching, I can tell you that she makes my ears bleed.  Maybe just lower the volume a bit.

Here's another question about the arena in Dallas:  Is there constant, deafening music blaring every whistle to the point where you can't talk with your friends/date/spouse/whatever?  Because I definitely blame that at KBC for the fact that I have to reserve my conversations for during the actual play of the game.

I haven't been to a Sabres home game since the Aud days.

I've heard about what happens in Buffalo when the Sabres play Toronto and some of the other teams- that the visiting fans kind of take over the arena.

I've been to a couple Sabres games in Dallas.  The in-house entertainment is actually intimidating and demoralizing to fans of the visiting team.

It starts with the national anthem.  While the fans are for the most part respectful, they shout out STARS at the two mentions of that word in the anthem.

When the Stars score, the "goal song" is a throbbing base beat supplanted by local fans shouting out the team's name:  BUDUM!  "DALLAS"  BUDUM STARS!" BUDUM!  "DALLAS"  BUDUM STARS!" BUDUM!  "DALLAS"  BUDUM STARS!" with an eruption of cheering.  If there's anything like that in the KBC, I don't pick it up in on the telecast (yes, I know they play Let Me Clear My Throat.... but it seems kind of weak over TV).

When the Stars get a power play, they have an animation for that too, with a voiceover that says something like, "And now, your Dallas Stars GO ON THE" and the fans finish with "POWER PLAY!"

Again, I don't know what the KBC does, but the AAC does a great job of doing whatever they can to motivate the team, and to motivate the fans to motivate the team.  Never a dull moment.

I was a little disappointed with the other Sabres fans; I was there with a group, and three or four times I started LET'S GO BUFFALO! chants.  I got a smattering of support, but much more opposition from Stars fans drowning me out, almost immediately.  I didn't hear anyone else starting any pro-Sabres chants.  Maybe we (as an expat fan base) feel we're good enough to beat the Stars yet... I dunno.

Edited by Doohickie

Good theory. I've heard from several people about how much fun Bandits games are. Tickets are cheap-ish, fans get dressed up, people are rowdy, and apparently some dude does the play by play over the public address. I'm sure there are die-hard fans who are all about whether the Bandits are contenders, but more likely it is about a fun night out for the vast majority of the fans. (The Bandits have won championships, but I'm not sure how many people took them that seriously.)

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the bigger factor is: this obsession with Buffalo winning a big league title or the seemingly large percentage of fans who view being a season ticket holder as an economic opportunity, something that can't be much of a factor in booming places like Dallas. Annnnnd... the on-ice product, the arena atmosphere and how generally cruddy the team has treated the paying customers in general. Lots of angles here.

Edited by PASabreFan

Nailed it.

I just saw this Twitter thread this morning, but Matthew Coller had a similar take on Buffalo yesterday: https://twitter.com/MatthewColler/status/825377801343795200

Matthew Coller ‏@MatthewColler  23h

23 hours ago
I've been in Minny for 6 months now and have blocked maybe 2 Vikings fans. Was on Buffalo radio for 20 mins and had to block multiple people

If you read the thread, his take is that Buffalo fans are just way too angry:

Matthew Coller ‏@MatthewColler  23h

@2MinsForHockey As everyone knows, I loved interacting with people in Buffalo, but the anger level is over the top

So basically when the fan base takes the team this seriously, you really need the stars to align for there to be a positive feeling in the arena.

Edited by Robviously

I just saw this Twitter thread this morning, but Matthew Coller had a similar take on Buffalo yesterday: https://twitter.com/MatthewColler/status/825377801343795200

So basically when the fan base takes the team this seriously, you really need the stars to align for there to be a positive feeling in the arena.

Let's see how nice the Minny fans are after 17 years without the playoffs and two+ years of a tank.

… something about moccasins and shutting TFU.

Angry vs. serious? I don't see the anger in the Sabres fan base at all. I see numbness to the whole thing.

I started reading Coller, then he wrote that the review in Dallas should have been easy (Reinhart's shot, I assume) and that he wasn't surprised Buffalo got jobbed. Lost all credibility right there. It wasn't an easy call at all. And there's no conspiracy. Doesn't Coller's comment make him sound like the dum-dums he is railing against?

Angry vs. serious? I don't see the anger in the Sabres fan base at all. I see numbness to the whole thing.

I started reading Coller, then he wrote that the review in Dallas should have been easy (Reinhart's shot, I assume) and that he wasn't surprised Buffalo got jobbed. Lost all credibility right there. It wasn't an easy call at all. And there's no conspiracy. Doesn't Coller's comment make him sound like the dum-dums he is railing against?

Also, if it is assumed that Buffalo will get jobbed, why wouldn't we be angry? Wouldn't anyone?

Edited by SwampD

Good theory. I've heard from several people about how much fun Bandits games are. Tickets are cheap-ish, fans get dressed up, people are rowdy, and apparently some dude does the play by play over the public address. I'm sure there are die-hard fans who are all about whether the Bandits are contenders, but more likely it is about a fun night out for the vast majority of the fans. (The Bandits have won championships, but I'm not sure how many people took them that seriously.)

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the bigger factor is: this obsession with Buffalo winning a big league title or the seemingly large percentage of fans who view being a season ticket holder as an economic opportunity, something that can't be much of a factor in booming places like Dallas. Annnnnd... the on-ice product, the arena atmosphere and how generally cruddy the team has treated the paying customers in general. Lots of angles here.

Not only that but there is a major perception issue that needs to be overcome. The people of Buffalo don't have a difficult time being rowdy and enthusiastic when it comes to Buffalo Bills games and Bandits games, both of which are greatly aided IMO by not taking themselves too seriously (Bills tailgates and Bandits dress up/bagpipes). The Sabres games and their attendees seem to take hockey way too seriously, and it may be due to a number of factors - Buffalo being a hockey knowledge hotbed, Sabres historically being the "good" team in town, depression over their recent poor play (3+ years).

But another thing that Robviously and the Dallas comments brought up is the lack of fan engagement "traditions". The Bills have natural energy built for defensive third downs, shout songs at every score, kickoff chants etc.; the Bandits have the BOX chant, "What's he got?", etc. to keep the fans engaged as part of the experience; the Stars (above example) have "STARS" anthem, power play chant, etc.

The Sabres have... nothing in the in-game experience that encourages fans to make an impact or any traditions that start chants or make noise. It is admittedly tougher in hockey since the game can go long stretches without breaks, but there is no fan experience event occurring to introduce fan interaction and prevent long periods of library like silence. The only thing might be Sabretooth banging the drum to start a LGB chant (which works), but that happens once a game maybe. If the team isn't going to be a first place team, the arena staff needs to introduce ways to encourage participation and make it fun.

TbB, good stuff. The Islanders have a two-beat drum or something to cue the fans to chant the goalie's name after a big save. It works with any name. Ro-bin. Len-ny. Leh-ner. An-ders. Nil-sson. Ha-sek. Doo-bie. Whatever.

I'm afraid the problem is what Ted Black once called the "mature" Buffalo crowd. The Sabres are probably afraid of insulting people. "We don't need no stinkin' drum cue. We'll cheer the goalie when it's appropriate!"

The goal count-up is one thing Buffalo has that I don't remember hearing elsewhere. Even that seems to be fading. I wonder why. :unsure:

There are so many things they could do. You could have two fencers, one in blue and gold tighties (?), one in opponent colors, and they could joust after a Sabres goal, with the good guy always winning. The Sundae Bafo routine could be brought back. Taro Sez signs. The last game I went to, they had a videoboard feature sponsored by Delta Dental where fans are put on camera and have to smile. It was about the creepiest thing I've ever seen.

Edited by PASabreFan

I haven't been to a Sabres home game since the Aud days.

I've heard about what happens in Buffalo when the Sabres play Toronto and some of the other teams- that the visiting fans kind of take over the arena.

I've been to a couple Sabres games in Dallas.  The in-house entertainment is actually intimidating and demoralizing to fans of the visiting team.

Similar deal in Nashville, though it's playful

Edited by Lanny

What's this? The Stars don't love Northern Texas Sabres fans?

Not at all.

Another thing:  When we went last year, we were all in one section.  This year, even though there was a group rate, we were split up among two or three sections.  That kind of made it harder to get cheers going (and I think maybe the Stars did it on purpose).

By the way.... anyone want a Tyler Seguin bobblehead?

I can't read these tweet links because I'm one of those who Coller blocked. :blush: (I've been a SabreSpace poster for some time and I hope my reputation is that of a fairly calm fellow.)

Coller's threshold for what is an angry tweet is ridiculously low. All I did was call him on his absurd pronouncement that Matt Cassell was definitely the Bills starting QB back in 2015 because Cassell only played two series against the Steelers in preseason, just like Ben Rothlesberger did. (Big Ben 2 series, Cassell 2 series, ergo...)

Frankly, I think the reason for so much anger among Buffalo fans is the result of the negative mindset of the local writers and talk hosts. They stoke it so why should they be surprised when they get the blowback?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Let's see how nice the Minny fans are after 17 years without the playoffs and two+ years of a tank.

… something about moccasins and shutting TFU.

they might throw back the fact that they didn't even have a hockey team for many years, and their football team hasn't been great. And a baseball team that is "small market" minded and stuck in mediocrity/basement

They might also be one of the only areas that can throw worse winter weather back at buffalo....

Edited by apuszczalowski

they might throw back the fact that they didn't even have a hockey team for many years, and their football team hasn't been great. And a baseball team that is "small market" minded and stuck in mediocrity/basement

They might also be one of the only areas that can throw worse winter weather back at buffalo....

I don't know,... I think there would be a whole lot less angry folk in Buffalo if we were given a seven year hiatus from the Sabres.

:lol:

Been away, but wanted to say that this take was spot on.

I work really hard to keep it light, keep it fun. Sure, sometimes there is some heart break or disappointment (and maybe far more often of late, some bored indifference). But I make a very deliberate choice to move on from disappointment as soon as practicably possible, and to remedy boredom with a good attitude, finding fun where it can be found (e.g., "Haha - look at that guy with the Grosek goathead jersey. NICE!")

I noticed some interesting differences last night.  Volume was down.  More organ, less crappy electronica.  

Also, not that I'd be caught dead eating Wegmans sushi at a hockey game, but at least the arena is finally offering at least one healthy option.

Finally--the video game montage thing is still going. Justin Bailey wears #95 in the video game (that's his preferred number); why can't he wear it IRL?

Also, not that I'd be caught dead eating Wegmans sushi at a hockey game, but at least the arena is finally offering at least one healthy option.

Pro tip: If you aren't in a rush to get out after the game, visit the sushi guys and they may give you whatever they didn't sell to take home with you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.