KeyBank Arena Experience and Social Marketing

LGR4GM

Oh my god Sabres twitter was atrocious tonight. Holy god. Very few tweets, didn't know where the next game is, no tweets about penalties and power plays. So bad.

Maybe they don't want people "watching" games on Twitter? Anyway, aren't there better ways to follow the games online? nhl.com game center, for example/

Maybe they don't want people "watching" games on Twitter? Anyway, aren't there better ways to follow the games online? nhl.com game center, for example/

For many (millions of?) people (especially those in the ~35 and under set, I think), Twitter is the perfect companion to any live televised event (sporting events, award shows, presidential election debates, etc.).

For many (millions of?) people (especially those in the ~35 and under set, I think), Twitter is the perfect companion to any live televised event (sporting events, award shows, presidential election debates, etc.).

Companion. Sure. Not a place to find out who took a penalty.

Oh my god Sabres twitter was atrocious tonight. Holy god. Very few tweets, didn't know where the next game is, no tweets about penalties and power plays. So bad.

Companion. Sure. Not a place to find out who took a penalty.

Ah, gotcha. 

Well, in fairness, if the team's official Twitter feed wants to be part of the live-Tweet experience, then whoever is running it needs to push content. Goals, penalties, etc. should be part of that stream.

Ah, gotcha. 

Well, in fairness, if the team's official Twitter feed wants to be part of the live-Tweet experience, then whoever is running it needs to push content. Goals, penalties, etc. should be part of that stream.

Why on earth would they want to take eyeballs off the telecasts and ears off the broadcasts? If you want to add value, provide commentary, analysis, advanced stats, hot takes etc. Anyway, isn't Twitter on the way out? Do you want to rear a generation of future fans on a virtual experience, then possibly have that virtual experience go out of fashion? What are you stuck with then?

I think it's more a matter of keeping up with the current trends in how people are consuming your media. Those eyes aren't fixed on the tv broadcast anyway - you may as well be where those eyes are wandering.

I don't know what content is best to Tweet, but, as you suggest, it should probably be more value-added stuff. But the basics would work, too.

Twitter has millions of devoted, regular users. I don't imagine it's going anywhere anytime soon. Wall Street has issues with the company, but that's not the concern of those who use it (and love it).

Edited by That Aud Smell

Why on earth would they want to take eyeballs off the telecasts and ears off the broadcasts? If you want to add value, provide commentary, analysis, advanced stats, hot takes etc. Anyway, isn't Twitter on the way out? Do you want to rear a generation of future fans on a virtual experience, then possibly have that virtual experience go out of fashion? What are you stuck with then?

Twitter is NOT on the way out. Even if it was, a similar social media site would pick up the sword twitter let fall.

As for twitter followers not wanting that info, I disagree. I know tons of people that follow football, hockey, and basketball games on twitter while they're working. If the OFFICIAL SABRES TWITTER can't even manage that task, then what value are they really adding?

I very much doubt that.

Twitter may fail for Wall Street, but its utility and ubiquity are so significant that it will continue to exist regardless of investor interest (until something better comes along, or until it evolves into something better).

I very much doubt that.

Twitter may fail for Wall Street, but its utility and ubiquity are so significant that it will continue to exist regardless of investor interest (until something better comes along, or until it evolves into something better).

OK. Well, it's a side issue anyway. My argument isn't that the Internet is a fad, or that Twitter or Twitter-like sites are going to go away, and thus the Sabres would be smart to hedge their bets on engaging people in social media.

My argument, put another way in illustrative question form: Did AMC live-tweet the season-opener of The Walking Dead, revealing to visitors that Abraham was first to get coconut-clocked, then Glenn got skull-rattled?

Edited by PASabreFan

My argument, put another way in illustrative question form: Did AMC live-tweet the season-opener of The Walking Dead, revealing to visitors that Abraham was first to get coconut-clocked, then Glenn got skull-rattled?

Sorry. Don't watch the show (or any show, even more sadly).

• 3 weeks later...

The One Goal Show with Roby on WGR.

Well done, Kim and Company! So smart and sharp.

(Yes, I do know what the title references. Think there might be a better way of putting it?)

I tired to throw shade on Rob Ray by saying he should host "The One Goal Show" since that is how many goals he scored in his career, but then I looked it up and he scored a whopping 41 goals in his career, with a season high of 8 goals in his second year in 90-91. The more you know...

The One Goal Show with Roby on WGR.

Well done, Kim and Company! So smart and sharp.

(Yes, I do know what the title references. Think there might be a better way of putting it?)

Hopefully when Eichel is back it becomes the 3-4 goal show.

I tired to throw shade on Rob Ray by saying he should host "The One Goal Show" since that is how many goals he scored in his career, but then I looked it up and he scored a whopping 41 goals in his career, with a season high of 8 goals in his second year in 90-91. The more you know...

It's probably on Youtube somewhere, but he had a pretty sweet one vs the Loafs in the Semis in '99.

Hopefully when Eichel is back it becomes the 3-4 goal show.

It's probably on Youtube somewhere, but he had a pretty sweet one vs the Loafs in the Semis in '99.

Is that the one where he took the puck with his back to the goal and spun and stuck it in the top corner in one motion?

Nope, it was a redirect.  Now I'm gonna have to go looking for the one I was thinking of.

1:10 in if you're curious. 

https://youtu.be/Edt5MYTApIM

• 2 months later...

During the five-minute review of Reinhart's shot in Dallas, the Stars' arena presentation people cooked this up (copy and paste from TBN):

*A camera panned down the line of Stars Ice Girls. They all had a dismayed look on their face – and the final woman was on the floor curled up in a sleeping bag.

*The DJ played soft, melodic music, and the fans shown on the scoreboard slowly moved their arms from side to side, as if in a trance.

*Finally, just before the officials' call ended, Dallas just shut off the scoreboard and ribbon board to save electricity.

Now, five minutes is forever for a review, but not much time to produce a great arena moment like that. Seriously, that's good prop work. Quick, somebody find a sleeping bag!

Man, I'm so jealous of the Stars' sense of humor. Meanwhile, the Sabres twitter has graduated from clueless dad texting to savvy grandma tweets. Emojis now, too!

The teenage version of me would never admit this but here goes:

The experience of seeing an NHL game in Dallas is better than that in Buffalo in literally every way.  The team is more fun to watch, the uniforms they wear at home are bright and fun (versus the darkest blue known to man), and the in-game presentation is incredible (everything from the jumbotron humor to the ice girls and cheerleaders).  

Worst of all, fans in their arena are way more fun to be around.  There are two reasons for this.  First, Dallas sports is the Cowboys and "stuff we watch while waiting for the next Cowboys game" so everyone is there to have a good time and no one is going to have their night ruined by a loss.  Second, I'm starting to think the fact that we've never won a championship in Buffalo has driven all of our fans insane.  We all take this WAY too seriously by now.  This is supposed to be entertainment but we've elevated it into a critical part of our city's identity and now all the losing is making us miserable.  

It's to the point where I just want Buffalo to win a championship now so that everyone can just relax and enjoy sports going forward. 

Still can't find it, but here's one of Ray Scoring on Hasek!

wow, so rob ray can say he scored a goal against the greatest goaltender ever?

Man, I'm so jealous of the Stars' sense of humor. Meanwhile, the Sabres twitter has graduated from clueless dad texting to savvy grandma tweets. Emojis now, too!

Dallas and LA have probably the best

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.