Do you think it's time for uniform changes?

Hoss

Sabres uniforms  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it's time for Buffalo to upgrade their uniforms?

• Yes, overhaul the whole look (including logo changes)
    • Yes, overhaul the uniforms but don't touch the logo
    • Yes, but just go back to the royals
    • No, they're perfect as-is

They only have to rebrand the arena if they do major color changes. If Buffalo changed to royal blue than all the blue in the arena would need switched but that's about it. If Buffalo just offered and alternate 3rd that was a replica of those old royal blues than tons of money with no arena changes. 

Yep. I just said that.

I don't mind the current uniforms. Plus, the fact that they just re-branded a couple of years ago means it ain't going to happen any time soon, anyway.

I do wish they would go whites at home, though.

That's what thirds are for.

Since people are always buying jerseys, I can't believe they make money on changing the regulars. I can't even imagine how much it costs to change the logos on just the scoreboard alone, let alone every other logo throughout the rest of Sabresland.

Do you know this to actually be true, with numbers and all, or are you just saying this? I would imagine they sell a lot of jerseys at first but wonder how much of that profit has to go towards re-branding the entire arena and elsewhere.

They only have to rebrand the arena if they do major color changes. If Buffalo changed to royal blue than all the blue in the arena would need switched but that's about it. If Buffalo just offered and alternate 3rd that was a replica of those old royal blues than tons of money with no arena changes. 

Yep. I just said that.

Well I missed that somehow. I thought you were saying changing the jerseys would cost so much so won't happen until 2020. Personally I think that using the One Buffalo moniker is re-branding. 

The thirds would just be a royal blue version of the currents? Also, although it would be cool, I don't see them installing royal blue seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJf_DDAfDXsCouldn't really vote, as I don't see the need to overhaul the uniform nor "return" to the royal blue that so many here seem to favour.

I'd like to see the blue lighten up a bit (the dark blue is a choice made in and throughout the sports jersey industry - something about how it's better for TV (e.g., Notre Dame went to dark blue many years ago)) and a return to the traditional striping scheme.

And, yes - please, no silver/grey. And the pit stains are silly.

So maybe that is an overhaul?

With regard to the royal blue: Neither my memory nor my Googling indicates that the team had a heyday of truly royal blue jerseys. The 70s and 80s seem to have had a slightly darker hue than that. Or maybe royal is actually darker than I am thinking.

I think the jerseys as they are are terrible for TV. On wide shots they looks near-black. I can't stand it. In close ups they look fine but so much of the game is wide shot.

Edited by Thorny

I think the jerseys as they are are terrible for TV. On wide shots they looks near-black. I can't stand it. In close ups they look fine but so much of the game is wide shot.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on that, but one thing seems evident: There's a line of thinking that favors the dark (dark) blue (and black) for jerseys in order to improve appearance on television. I recall that being discussed when the Bills went from a more royal blue to those dark (dark) blue uniforms.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on that, but one thing seems evident: There's a line of thinking that favors the dark (dark) blue (and black) for jerseys in order to improve appearance on television. I recall that being discussed when the Bills went from a more royal blue to those dark (dark) blue uniforms.

Maybe that was true with standard def, but with HD and soon UHD broadcasts, any visibility issues will be moot.

Maybe that was true with standard def, but with HD and soon UHD broadcasts, any visibility issues will be moot.

That's true. I'm sure Royal Blue would come across fine in HD. The dark blue is just so dark, that even on my 1080p HD TV, they look almost black. I own an Eichel in the Navy and it looks great in person. It just doesn't come across great on the broadcast, except on close ups.

I see the same thing you do.

Right?? It bothers me to no end when I watch them in whites

It is almost like they are tone def. Boggles the mind that with todays technology that Russ Brandon marketing guru can't figure out what Sabres' fans want. 

This offseason has made me hate Russ Brandon

T-Minus 4 years. I'm telling you. 50th Anniversary. Won't change until then.

My list, as I've laid out before:

Royal Blue (it will probably be the same as the new Bills blue, and I'm totally fine with that)

No piping

No pit stains

NO GREY ANYWHERE

No silver for that matter

Non-metallic gold

Legit stripes.

Fixed

You're probably right, but it's still annoying af. I'm not sure I can hold off 4 years for an Eichel jersey, but I know 4 years from now if I get one now, it will never see the light of day. Then again, $200 or so really isn't that bad for 4 years of entertainment I suppose

I think chances are good that Russ Brandon knows EXACTLY what Sabres fans want and so did Ted Black, but they both knew very well there was an influx of talent coming to the roster. Why change jerseys when you can sell a ton of Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly and Okposo jerseys for a few years?

THEN, when the roster seems to have mostly settled at the top, BOOM you drop a royal and gold bomb on 'em.

Edited by Hoss

.The current unis make the Sabres look like the Bruins on TV.

.Who was the genius behind the pit stains? Pegula's clothes designer daughter? How did that embarrassingly stupid idea last so long? Oh I forgot, it's Buffalo.

.The old AFL/AHL Buffalo teams -- '60s Bills and Bisons -- had classic uniforms. Then they turned "major league" and the ham-handed major league football and hockey men got control and really dumbed down the product. It has gotten dumber and dumber with time and is now diluted with no identity. Did the Habs, Bruins, Canadiens, Leafs, Wings and Hawks change their uniforms much through the decades? No. It's called tradition. But the Sabres went around the block and back, changing colors, changing logos and then back to a diluted form of the the original mish-mash idea that was chosen by a fan. Since the beginning we've had namby-pamby ownership who wouldn't go the extra mile when the team was close to being a champion.

In short, there's a real lack in the brains dept. in Buffalo sports and that's why we have zero championships.

Edited by Marvelo

.The current unis make the Sabres look like the Bruins on TV.

.Who was the genius behind the pit stains? Pegula's clothes designer daughter? How did that embarrassingly stupid idea last so long? Oh I forgot, it's Buffalo.

.The old AFL/AHL Buffalo teams -- '60s Bills and Bisons -- had classic uniforms. Then they turned "major league" and the ham-handed major league football and hockey men got control and really dumbed down the product. It has gotten dumber and dumber with time and is now diluted with no identity. Did the Habs, Bruins, Canadiens, Leafs, Wings and Hawks change their uniforms much through the decades? No. It's called tradition. But the Sabres went around the block and back, changing colors, changing logos and then back to a diluted form of the the original mish-mash idea that was chosen by a fan. Since the beginning we've had namby-pamby ownership who wouldn't go the extra mile when the team was close to being a champion.

In short, there's a real lack in the brains dept. in Buffalo sports and that's why we have zero championships.

Meanwhile, the Penguins, Kings, Seahawks, Broncos, and countless other teams have changed up their look numerous times and still seem to win championships.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.