Robin Lehner: The goalie we need or the goalie we deserve?

LGR4GM

The price paid for him was appropriate.

We don't know what he can do yet.

But I'm betting that those who thought that Miller merely was average are in for an education.

Miller had a few elite seasons.   Other than that he was statistically an average goaltender.

I like Lehner's attitude and approach, if he can stay healthy I think he still has plenty of room to grow and improve.     If he can't stay healthy, well, this season could be another long one.    

The price paid for him was appropriate.

We don't know what he can do yet.

But I'm betting that those who thought that Miller merely was average are in for an education.

Well, there was the "Miller is average" crowd and the "Miller is not elite" crowd. An important distinction.

I predicted it earlier, Murray's reluctance to address the goaltending situation is going to kill this season. His ego is going to get the best of him.

By the way, do they think Rinne is that washed up (I do) where Sweden goes with Lehner and Enroth before him? Or is Rinne just not playing?

It absolutely has meaning. It's talking about the power of symbolism.

And in addition to that, what one needs is not always what they deserve. Obviously there's a distinction there. And Nolan and Hack are two words that belong nowhere near each other.

I think True is the guy who really likes LOTR, unless I'm very much mistaken, so I'll have to side with him on a general level when it comes to movie opinion. :p

Edited by Thorny

I predicted it earlier, Murray's reluctance to address the goaltending situation is going to kill this season. His ego is going to get the best of him.

By the way, do they think Rinne is that washed up (I do) where Sweden goes with Lehner and Enroth before him? Or is Rinne just not playing?

I think Rinne decided to play for his home country of Finland :P

Wow, don't I feel like an idiot. Why did I think Rinne was Swedish? It's gonna be one of those days........... embarrassed-smiley04.gif

Easy to mix up those countries from all the way over here (Sorry MODO!)

Semi-related, the NHL Network gave a list of their top ten goalies heading into this season, and that guy made it, somehow. Here was their list:

10.) Pekka Rinne

9.) Marc-Andre Fleury

8.) Martin Jones

7.) Corey Crawford

6.) Henrik Lundqvist

5.) Cory Schneider

4.) Ben Bishop

3.) ...Jonathan Quick

2.) Carey Price

1.) Braden Holtby

Pretty bad list. I hope TrueBlueGED sees where Quick is. 

I think we're in a good position long-term with our #1 goalie situation.  Lehner looked very good last year probably playing at about 80%.  Granted, it was a limited # of games.  If he turns out very good then great; if not Peterson is probably the answer.  Our real problem is our back up goalie.

GMTM on Lehner's withdrawal from the World Cup of Hockey:

"As Robin continues to progress during the offseason in his rehab from last season's ankle injury, he felt that it was best to withdraw from Team Sweden for the upcoming World Cup. Robin felt it was important to continue his rehab in Buffalo to prepare for training camp. He has been working out both on and off the ice and we look forward to seeing him on the ice with our team next month."

I'd go something like

1.) Price

2.) Holtby

3.)Schneider

4.)Bishop

drop-off

5.) Lundqvist

smaller drop-off

6.) Crawford

7.) Rask

8.) Mrazek (I think he's ready to break out)

9-13.) Luongo/Elliot/Quick/Fleury/Jones in some order

I saw that list the other day, and I re-arranged their top 10. Very similar to yours. 

Price

Holtby

Lundqvist

Schneider

Bishop 

Crawford

Jones

Quick

Flower

Rinne

If I made my own top 10, I wold add Lou, Elliott and Rask by removing Quick, Flower and Rinne. 

I think this is Lundqvist's last year as a dominant player. I also put Crawford higher than I have in the past. I used to rag on him for being overrated but he has become incredibly consistent. Which says a lot considering the defensive turnover the Blackhawks go through year after year. 

I saw that list the other day, and I re-arranged their top 10. Very similar to yours. 

Price

Holtby

Lundqvist

Schneider

Bishop 

Crawford

Jones

Quick

Flower

Rinne

If I made my own top 10, I wold add Lou, Elliott and Rask by removing Quick, Flower and Rinne. 

I think this is Lundqvist's last year as a dominant player. I also put Crawford higher than I have in the past. I used to rag on him for being overrated but he has become incredibly consistent. Which says a lot considering the defensive turnover the Blackhawks go through year after year. 

Same exact thing happened with me, about Crawford. 

I absolutely love the guy and if he plays well, no doubt in my mind he is a fan favorite for a loooong time

I do too, and I love his attitude. I think he's the answer if he can stay healthy. I've got no problem with a crazy man in net, it might (and has) bring some missing excitement to the games. I just don't like that the backup situation wasn't taken care of. 

I think we're in a good position long-term with our #1 goalie situation.  Lehner looked very good last year probably playing at about 80%.  Granted, it was a limited # of games.  If he turns out very good then great; if not Peterson is probably the answer.  Our real problem is our back up goalie.

Until that guy signs a contract he is not part of our # 1 goalie situation or back up.  And his name Jimmy Vesey ll until he is signed. :ph34r:

This latest news on Lehner is not encouraging. This is a huge year for Lehner. He is playing out his bridge contract and although still an RFA, a big season this year will get him a big long-term deal. A bum ankle will derail this season for him and because of GMTM's failure to keep Johnson or to secure a good backup (see Enroth) this bum ankle could derail the Sabres season as well depending on whether Kasdorf or Ullmark can make the jump to the NHL this season.

I believe that Lehner has the skill necessary to be a top tier goalie in the NHL. I thought he showed some excellent play despite the bum ankle, especially that snarling bear moment. I love his competitive spirit. However, I'm now worried that his injury history will keep him from reaching his potental. The Sabres can't invest big money in a goalie who hasn't and can't start play a full season because of his health.

On the bright side I think it is a wise decision on Lehner's part to not risk the ankle in a pre-season tourney when so much is on the line for him and the Sabres. The burning question is now who starts for the Sabres if Lehner isn't 100% to start the season?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

• 2 weeks later...

According to Paul Hamilton, Lehner has been working with an MMA instructor every day this summer and has dropped weight. 

If only I could pull up that post I made years ago (probably around the last lockout) about how the NHL was going to a system where after a goal was scored the goaltender and scoring player had to have an MMA-style fight to decide if the goal counted.

(Context: something about "changing things up to bring in a new audience but close enough to before so the old timers wouldn't get upset")

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.